Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game I am designing, there is a board with 24 spaces. Cards refer to specific spaces on the board (every space is referenced). I am wondering what the most helpful way would be to identify the spaces on the board so they can be easily found ... some possibilities are:

1. Grid reference (A1, B1 ... A2, B2 ...) -- the spaces are hexagonal, but they could still be referenced as a grid.

2. Numbers (1-24).

3. Coloured numbers (eg. 1-6 in four different colours).

4. Letters (A-X).

5. Unique names ("Wild Woods", etc.)

Using a bare reference number/letter feels like it would detract from the theme ("Wild Woods" is more evocative than "space A5"), but textual names seem to be too hard to locate on the board (even if the board is subdivided, eg. by terrain). Names printed inside spaces can also be obscured by playing pieces.

Maybe 1. and 5. combined ("A5. Wild Woods")?

Any thoughts welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if I were shown 2 different prototype boards, one with the letter/number combination and the other with the text name, I would prefer the text version myself. The one with the letter/number identifier would make me think I'm playing a wargame-type game...which is fine if it's a wargame-type game.

That's just my 2 cents, others opinions may vary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much prefer grid locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably want to make it less abstract and make the locations mean something. World Map, Middle Earth, Solar System, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both theme and ease-of-use are important. A few options:
If the spaces are divided into easy-to-recognize sections (e.g., all green spaces are forest, tan are desert, etc.), then having them located by area and name/number could work. So I guess that's number 3, but with the colors representing areas that work with the theme.

If the place names aren't important in other areas of the game, you could put them in alphabetical order (assuming it's not a variable board).

Otherwise, I like some other combination of theme and utility, although I don't know that I'd use a grid for hexagonal spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to only have names, but then have cards give the name and a picture of that space's position on the board, in this style:

This could be used as well as having colours to distinguish the different types of terrain, as suggested above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
Another option is to only have names, but then have cards give the name and a picture of that space's position on the board, in this style:

This could be used as well as having colours to distinguish the different types of terrain, as suggested above.

Color grouping is a good idea. You can easily go from 24 names to maybe 4-8 colors and a few names within. For the color blind, add in a few geometric shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot one designator: Shape. I will find spaces based on their shape and color before the name.

The typical way of showing spaces on a map is used in Risk. I don’t know if you have heard of this game. shake It uses colors for an overall region with names and unique space shape for each space. The card show the colors shape and name of each territory so it makes spaces easy enough to find. The only game that I know that does not use this system is El Grande. But the map is small enough to find all of the spaces easy enough.

I think that Pandemic has the good way to reference cards to a board. Just check out the cards:

The grid reference is not fool proof. My wife has a heck of a time finding a street on a standard city street map when referencing a street name. The street name index states map page and grid location. Sounds pretty easy to me, but she can’t find them. I don’t think grid #’s look very good on a game map either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think like James was saying, it really depends on the type of game. However, you mentioned there are only 24 spaces, and it sounds like from your descriptions that they're fixed (i.e. not tiles or other method of a variable board). A grid may be overkill, names or just numbered 1-24 might be ok. But names are great boosters to the theme, especially if they have some other meaning throughout the game, and if there's only 24, that's not too many to think of.

However there's nothing wrong with giving multiple methods of locating a space-- look at Pandemic which gives you a name, the color (which tells you the region), and the cards even have a map with a cross-hair target over the location; or Android, which gives you a name, a grid location in parentheses, and a color (which doesn't show you the region, but the type of space, which can help you ignore spaces that aren't the same color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.