tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) for large or Med. sized game companies how many games will they make on a first run?

Say a typical Z-Man game
Ninja Vrs. Ninja from Out of the Box
A touch of Evil by Flying Frog after LNOE did so well
Domionion
Powergrid

Is there somewhere to find out how many of a game is made on the first run?

2)For self published games and Med. sized game companies - do you sell many games here through the BGG, at other game web sites ( besides your home page ), or through E-bay?

3) If I have an abstract game that can fit any theme, should I have a theme ( or 2 ) for it when I take it to a publisher? It boils down to it being a abstract game but a Fantasy theme works very well with it and makes sense. But I have a couple of other themes that fit just as well and one that I think would appeal to more people then Fantasy so I was thinking of having 2 different Prototypes ready for play testing and taking to a publisher ( if I can find one interested in seeing it that is ). For the Play testing I figured this might be a good idea to see people´s reaction to the 2 different versions - and if one is preferred over the other.

4) If Yatzee was not an American Classic would someone publish it today? My questions is this, since my theme is pasted on it comes down to being very easy to make yourself, would this keep a publisher from being interested in producing the game?
If it is a fast paced fun game that they see their play testing groups really like , would this be able to sway them into producing it? It has cards and other props that are needed so buying it you would get a lot of extras you would probably not make your self if you where just making up your own copy - and I think this is where you could make the game appealing to the mass market ( which gamers in general may not be a mass market - but a game at all the big stores would be - verses a game that is fantasy themed and sold only at specialty game shops).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Designing and Play testing my game has been a whole lot of fun so far and I am ready to mass play test it soon and am getting excited that it is a game worth publishing even if I have to go the self publishing route, but I think it may have a shot at someone wanting to publish it so I wanted to ask a few question of people already in the know. I am a natural salesman ( a lot of people tell me that - and I do sales for a living ) so I think that would help me if I had to publish it myself, but I am not sure about that? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any thoughts on these questions!

Game On´

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) This question about print runs size has been asked before. Most game companies are privately held and do not publish their sales figures or print runs. Sometimes information about print runs is mentioned in interviews or on game company web sites, but there are no comprehensive figures available. First print runs for designer games seem to generally run from 500 to 5,000. Some individual games, especially SdJ winners, have sold hundreds of thousands of copies in total. I have seen some self-publishers make only a handful of games at a time and sell direct (see 18EZ as an example of this).

You can find some figures cited in these previous discussion threads on this subject:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2651503

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2572505

2.) The bigger the company, the more important sales through a distributor will become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
3: that depends on which company you're submitting it to- if it's to a company that primarily does abstracts (like gigamic), the theme is less necessary. if it's to one that does primarily themed games, then paste your theme on as well as possible.

4: most american classics are garbage, and are on the shelves only because they're "classics". the name "monopoly" or "yahtzee" combined with people's nostalgia is what sells the game, not the marketing or gameplay. so no, if yahtzee had never existed until today, it probably wouldn't make it to wal-mart's shelf as a new release- unless it was renamed to capitalize on some other brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.