Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I'm playing this game for the first time. As the rule book doesn't exactly follow the turn sequence it needs lots of turning over the pages and therefore I maybe have missed something but when exactly do Harriers move from the Flown box to the Arming box? Rule 7.3 states that Harriers are to be moved from the Arming box to the Ready box at the end of the turn but I don't recall to have read anything about moving Harriers from the Flown box to the Arming box

And does it really take 24 hours to prepare a Harrier for its next sortie?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7.3 refers to both steps:

"...all Harriers currently in the [...] Arming Box are returned to the [...] Ready box."

"...all Harriers [...] in either of the Flown Boxes are moved to their respective Arming Boxes."

As the game is based on turns which are a day long it makes it easier from a game mechanic point of view to keep the Harriers out of action for 24 hours. Compare this to, for example, RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 where the turns are two hours long which allows for a game mechanic whereby the German fighters are able to return later in the day.

Otherwise just assume that the Harrier pilots can't return to combat until they've had several cups of tea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
7.3 refers to both steps:

"...all Harriers currently in the [...] Arming Box are returned to the [...] Ready box."

"...all Harriers [...] in either of the Flown Boxes are moved to their respective Arming Boxes."

Thank you for your swift reply. I've missed this sentence completely.

batdog wrote:
Otherwise just assume that the Harrier pilots can't return to combat until they've had several cups of tea.

That explains it, they are British after all aren't they?

Edit: spelling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
batdog wrote:
7.3 refers to both steps:

"...all Harriers currently in the [...] Arming Box are returned to the [...] Ready box."

"...all Harriers [...] in either of the Flown Boxes are moved to their respective Arming Boxes."

Thank you for your swift reply. I've missed this sentence completely.

batdog wrote:
Otherwise just assume that the Harrier pilots can't return to combat until they've had several cups of tea.

That explains it, they are British after all aren't they?

Edit: spelling


I think about it this way:
The Harriers may not be launched until after several hours have passed, (although I don't know what the actual range or time length a typical mission could be) they could be on a mission for several hours, they have to land, be rearmed, re-equipped, etc.

Furthermore, for supply interdiction, combat, or even CAP it could somehow represent multiple missions all in a single day or over a certain amount of time. So it could, for example, represent an all day CAP consisting of 3 or 4 actual flights, but it represents an all day allotment of the equivalent of one Harrier. Kind of like 8 "man hours" could really be 2 people working 4 hours each, but the functional time investment is "one" person.

Maybe the Harriers require a lot more maintenance and repairs for their operations?

Guess it just doesn't bother me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
...tea, and biscuits. Lots and lots of biscuits...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Hodges wrote:
...tea, and biscuits. Lots and lots of biscuits...


Certainly sounds like the RAF / Fleet Air Arm to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.