Subject: The researcher and the medic take on 6 epidemics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Janneke and myself just finished a game of Pandemic. We hadn’t played this game for a while. Mostly because of our new purchases but also because we both felt we played it too much in a short period of time. But maybe partly because of our 7 or 8 consecutive crushing losses and not a single win with 6 epidemics, as well.
I wanted to play again for a while now and today we both felt like playing Pandemic again.
We decided to play with 6 epidemics, yet again. We want to beat this game. It’s only cardboard, wooden bits and cards? How hard can it be?

She was the researcher and I was the medic. The researcher is one of these roles that’s more powerful with more players, but can still be useful in a 2 player game. The medic is my favorite role and we hadn’t tried 6 epidemics with the medic yet. I felt really confident with the medic, since outbreaks have crushed us all the times before. The medic was going to end our losing streak once and for all.

After the initial blue was the biggest threat. Both Essen and St. Petersburg were infected with 3 cubes. The third maximum infected city was Istanbul, with 3 cubes as well. Yellow and red were not threatening at all at this point. Janneke was start player, but she was not able to go to Essen, St. Petersburg or Istanbul. She gave me a black card, of which I now had three and treated Washington. When she had to draw more cards, the first one was a yellow one, the second our first epidemic! When drawing infection cards we had 2 outbreak chain reactions: both Essen and St. Petersburg had to be infected. After one turn we already had 4 outbreaks and London, Essen and Saint Petersburg lined up for another chain reaction!
Luckily we had some time until the seond epidemic, but still, by now I wasn’t that confident anymore. Being the medic I spent most of my time treating the blue cubes. This way we prevented more outbreaks with blue. After my second turn I got 2 more black cards and I cured it immediatly in my third turn. Yellow was quickly cured as well. By this time red became more threathening with each turn. Janneke went that way, I stayed in the blue and black side of the board.
We were both too busy to mind Johannesburg, which had 3 cubes by now, but which was pretty quarantained all alone and on the wrong side of the board anyway. The second, third and fourth epedemic were drawn, and with each epedemic, Johannesburg caused an outbreak. Now we were at 7 outbreaks. Finally I went there to prevent another outbreak when the fifth epedemic would turn up, which took quite a while.
With the air bridge, we were able to meet up and exchange some cards, I gave her a red one, and I got 2 blue ones. Now she was able to cure red and I was really lucky on the draw with the last blue one needed for the cure. We had to wait two more turns, anxious for an epedmic or a outbreak to be drawn, but nothing happened. So, when it was my turn, all I had to do was cure blue and seal our first victory after only 4 of 6 epidemics!

I feel, we won against all odds, given our first turn. We have been really lucky on the draw a few times, as we were unlucky in the beginning, as well.
It feels really nice to finally win! Bring on the seventh epidemic. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.