United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to double-check, a Merc that is damaged returns home without healing, while a Merc that is eliminated returns home to full strength?

Along the same lines is that a Bombard is A3 in round 1, whether it attacks by itself or not?

The reason I ask is that we are witnessing the Crack Bombard and Merc suicide squads at the end of each campaign. The bombard attacks by itself at the end of a campaign because it is going to most likely damage a noble that can't heal and will go back to the pool anyway. The Merc attacks if it is damaged; better to die and come back full strength than to go back home damaged.

Not to complicate the game, but I would assume that siege artillery by iteself would not be very effective, and Mercs would be unwilling to go on a suicide mission.

I would propose that a Bombard is only A3 in round 1 if it is with another block. I would also propose that a dead Merc comes back as strength one. I think the rules as written are fine with the Rebel - the rabble is not out to make money and survive, they are mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to 8.5 "all blocks in the pool and on the map are raised to full strength". This happens at the very end of each campaign. I assume this includes the mercenaries in their home areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does always help to read the rules. Doh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albert knows that section because he got burned on the same point yesterday -- committed his guys to suicide missions thinking that was the only way to bring them back up to full strength. Of course we misread the event rules (or rather, I misread them and made a compelling case for my error), and he ended up doubly burned. Mea culpa. My assumption is that the political phase represents a fair amount of time, and the leaders have time to recover and recruit in between campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you do heal, I still think the Bombard attacking by itself is a little silly. The fact that nobles will heal makes it less likely to matter, but a noble could still get axed by an A3.

It just seems the special rule for Bombards should only apply when it is with another unit. The block shows a D3 on, so it shouldn't cause more confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:
I still think the Bombard attacking by itself is a little silly.

I think a special battlefield artillery unit at this resolution (grand strategic) is a little silly. If they had at least called it "Siege Artillery" and only allowed it's use against fortifications... (Yeah, they would have had to add fortifications.)

*standing by for historians to tell me that the Roses did indeed have Grande Batteries in several of their battles*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:
Gryfon wrote:

I think a special battlefield artillery unit at this resolution (grand strategic) is a little silly. If they had at least called it "Siege Artillery" and only allowed it's use against fortifications... (Yeah, they would have had to add fortifications.)

*standing by for historians to tell me that the Roses did indeed have Grande Batteries in several of their battles*

While I can agree with your sentiment, I think it does add an interesting element to the game, for game purposes.

But I, too, would be in "standby mode."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee a.k.a. "Loyal Lee"
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
No artillery tirade here

I really think Columbia just wanted to give each side an interesting "wild card" unit and gave it an historically evocative but misleading name. At least they made city/area control a pre-condition for raising it.

At this scale it probably would have been more "accurate" to give each side another levy unit.

I'm not complaining. I really like the game (so far), and I wasn't expecting a detailed simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:
Gryfon wrote:

Given the fact that this, unlike the later English Civil War, is a war between nobles does it make sense for either the Bombard or Mercenaries to fight alone? There was a rebellion in Kent in 1450 and nobles were turned away from cities so the Rebellion and Levy blocks should be OK. Not sure about the bishops though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.