Popular Tags: [View All]
JP
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I picked up this neat game a couple of weeks ago and have read the rules (2nd edition, with the copyright date of 1996), and the errata, and I have also played about 3 hours solo. I still have some questions though:

1) Has anyone found a way to denote ownership of the bandit counters on the map? I mean, they're all red, and they all look the same...I was thinking of maybe putting a coloured euro-style block on top of the counter matching the colour of the player.

2) A mine can be partially burned, yes? Can it be repaired after being burned? How? I was thinking of using the same rule as for partially burned smelters: 2 Au to restore each burn hit.

3) I was playing solo with 2 imaginary players, and ran into this scenario. When I flipped the quarterly card, it was a bandit unit. In the auction phase, player 1 won the card. Player 2 did not have any cards except for his starting hacienda. In the tactical round segment, player 1 started moving around burning and looting player 2's hacienda (when player 2 saw the bandit coming, he ran into a city block because he doesn't have police protection on his hacienda if it shows it as not being in the city block, right?) and mine. My question is this: since he has no protection, could the bandits conceivably make 45 or so attempts to kidnap the hacendado, since the he doesn't have any troop cards to protect him? I understand that if the hacendado has run into a city block, the bandits would have to possibly deal with the police, but that aside, is there anything the poor hacendado player can do? I was thinking of adding my own rule, similar to the 'buried goods' rule (11.53) that once an attempt has been made on the hacendado, he can go into hiding if he wasn't found on the first try. On any subsequent turn, or next quarter, he can reveal himself and act normally. If this rule isn't in effect, pretty much 1 bandit can go around kidnapping any hacendado if the other players don't have a combat counter to deal with them, right?

4) Taxation (rule 10.8) - do the taxes gathered by Orange counters come from the opposing player's card, or does it come from the treasury. I would have thought the former, but in the errata, it says that if there is no money at the location, it can still be taxed by Orange counters if it made money that turn - although it still doesn't say if it comes from opposing player's money or the treasury.

That's it! I think this is a really neat game, and I'm almost ready to have it hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the Decision Games or the Sierra Madre Games edition?

Wrt. (2), if the enterprise has not been burned back to zero, at the end of the turn flip the ownership marker back to its original side -- it resumes normal operations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the quick response.

I have the Decision Games edition.

Regarding the mine: 1) the ownership marker is turned to its backside when it begins to burn? Where does it say this is in the rules? (2) So when it's ownership marker is flipped, I'm assuming that it isn't making any profit. (3) What do you mean by 'normal operations' - when you flip the ownership marker back, it continues to work at its new, less profitable number? Or does it bounce back to its original number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, a quick response (going from memory I am afraid, as I do not have the rules with me).

1) I am afraid you must keep track of the the bandidos by location.

2) A mine can be partially burned. But it cannot recover from this.

3) Without any police or troop protection in Mexico, a hacendado chased by bandidos is out of luck. He can run into the desert, where the bandidos will be depleted if they try to follow (which will cost them more money to recover than the beleagered fugitive is likely worth.)

4) Tax money comes from the victim's treasury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.