Popular Tags: [View All]
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down with my buddy John on Thursday, before the rest of our regular Thursday gaming crew made it over, for a few games of 2 player Dominion. I think the game plays great with 2 players, and my wife has taken to the game so it's a nice option on weeknights. I cant really compare the 2 player game to 3-4 players since I just haven't had the opportunity to play with more than 2 much - but I can say that I definitely like the speed at which the game plays with 2, and there's more access to the cards I want for the strategy I want to try. In 3-4 players it does seem like I cant get enough copies of a particular card sometimes for my deck before it runs out, so I cant experiment as much as I'm just racing to get a bunch of a card that everyone wants (like a village card, laboratory, or market).

We played Base + Intrigue mixed, with a semi-random draw of 10. We're both average players at this point with limited experience, so we're still discovering card combinations and strategies - no pros here! I call it semi-random since we may want to pull in some particular cards, or avoid some particular cards for our game to try out new things. I'd like to mention that after finding BSW, and playing online with a large variety of people, that I've seen cards used in ways that I never imagined... Some cards that I never really wanted to play I'm finding are actually really cool! For example: The throne room didnt initially strike me as useful, but after getting manhandled with it online, I LOVE to see it in the game now and scarf up a few copies :-) - it always makes for an interesting game. I also learned that you can use the remodel card to turn Gold into Provinces. I said WOW, I like remodel now! So playing with a variety of experienced players online has pretty much opened me up to using most of the cards in both sets now. Playing on BSW has also shown me that skill can prevail in this game, after seeing certain players win repeatedly.

Game 1: Steve 57, John 35
This game ended up being dominated by Nobles and Minions. I started vacuuming up Nobles early and used them for huge turns later on - I was able to draw out my entire deck 3-4 turns in a row at the end. I ended up with 6 nobles, 3 villages, 3 markets, 2 smithys, 2 secret chambers, 1 money lender, 1 minion, 4 golds, a few silvers, and some other singles that I didnt record.
John loaded up on villages, minions, and then started to get nobles later on. John had some 8 coin turns early thanks to the minions and picked up some provinces, but those just proved to weigh him down in the mid / end game, letting me run away with it.

Game 2: Steve 25, John 35
This game had the "witch" which i believe dragged the game down and made it take over an hour. The first half of the game was trying to get all of the curses out, since there weren't any actions in the game to trash cards with. I was excited when I got to throne room a witch. I was able to give John 6 curses, and I ate 4. This slowed down the rest of the game because we kept drawing curses and witches which we couldnt do much with. John ended up winning this game making heavy use of the Throne Room, and Minions, (also a good amout of villages, and cellars). We learned a lot about the minion in these two games, and we both really like it and see lots of uses for it now.

I played some more two player Dominion on BSW Friday / Saturday of which I wanted to put a few notes in this report.

With the Chapel in play, I saw a lot of players trash all of their estates and copper during the first few turns, and just buy silver and gold, ignoring all the other actions except for maybe a few markets to provide multiple "buys". This strategy proved to end the game very quickly with multiple 8 coin turns very early. I saw some amazingly quick games with this "just buy a chapel and treasure" strategy. I even caught on to it and won a few this way. This was interesting strategically, but didnt provide for very amusing gameplay (since we ignored most of the cards in the game).

I feel like I always wait too long building up my deck before injecting victory cards. I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions are on this, is it wise to buy a province as soon as you have 8 coins in one turn? I assume in a 3-4 player game you might want to get provinces as soon as you can, but in a 2 player game it seems like you can get bogged down with too many victory cards in your deck early on, since you usually need to pick up at least half of the provinces pile to win.

In general I could use some meta-game advice if anyone wants to share with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fluharty
United States
Pace
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.

I’ve only been playing the base game of Dominion for a little while and just picked up the Intrigue expansion. I usually play with my wife and friend. In a three player game, if I manage to get together 8 treasure in a turn I always purchase a Province, unless I have multiple buys. It does clog your deck somewhat in the middle of the game, but that all depends on what cards are available and if you can cycle your deck. I haven’t tried it out with 2 players, so I’m interested to see how the game play changes.

I’ve thought about using the chapel and treasure strategy. I might try that if I was in the mood for a quick game, but I tend to have more fun building a deck with more card combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.