Popular Tags: [View All]
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I FINALLY won a brand new sealed copy of '99 Acquire on ebay (for $79 and free shipping!!!!!) - I've been stalking ebay for months. I was able to receive it just in time for my regular Thursday night gaming session, where we were able to get one 4-player game in. I've played this game many times using my friend's '99 copy that I was envious of, so just getting the game copy was a "win" for me . We actually played 2008 edition at Gencon this year in a "winner keeps the game" event, but sadly in a 4 player game there, me and 2 of my friends lost to the one guy that we didnt know in the game!! :-P It wasn't a huge surprise since neither of my friends in the game had ever played before that time. Looking back, I'm glad we didnt win the game or I may not have had such a desire to get the SWEET '99 board. The only sad part of that play, was that one of my friends came in second place, and I came in third - he had never played before and he beat me:-P

So after we got done unpacking and the game, we set it up for 4 players (me, Aaron, John, Bickford). 2 of which had never played, and one of my buddys who had only played once in the fateful gencon massacre. Luckily, this game has a very SHORT learning curve, and can be learned in just a few turns, and after they see a few mergers take place. Before we started though, I announced "Guys, be careful not to run out of money with no mergers in sight, or the whole game could be ruined for you." Sure enough, John overcommited to one company (green) early and it ended up becoming a safe company (size 11 or greater) which could not be acquired, that very much ruined the game for him, but he still liked the game he said after we were done. Very early in the game, many companies were started right next to each other, and we had lots of merger action. Even though I thought I was doing well, every time we did a merger, Aaron seemed to be the majority holder. Later on though I was on top of some larger acquisitions, and it really paid off. I think that if everyone had been experienced at the game, that Aaron would have won, since he was getting a lot of money early, and the rest of us were broke. At one point he merged a company that he didnt even have interest in that gave us all some cash, I doubt he'll ever be that generous again .

Overall, everyone learned the game very quickly, and it was quite compeititive, except for poor John who got stuck with no cash for well over half the game. Also something he'll never do again. In the end there were 2 safe companies (yellow & green), and all 4 players were either majority or minority from one of them. Bickford also agreed that the '99 board is about 1000x nicer than the 2008 version, and the 3 dimentional aspect of the '99 board makes the gameplay MUCH more enjoyable and even easier to follow.

At the very end there was only one un-safe corp left (purple), and aaron had a lot of purplr stock and also tiles to increase purple in size, so he grew it from size 3 to about size 6, I ended up being majority on this one though which was a huge boost in majority value and stock value, then right before purple was acquired, I ended up being the majority on a tiny blue company which I was able to set up with a LUCKY tile draw right next to purple in the corner, this definitely helped!

Me $53,200 (green majority)
Bickford $43,000 (yellow majority)
Aaron $40,700 (yellow minority)
John $20,800 (green minority)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Nice job acquiring Acquire! (sorry had to)

You are so right about the three dimensional board being more enjoyable and easier to grasp somehow. Learning or teaching Acquire on that set is much easier I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.