Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valentijn Eekels
Netherlands
Gouda
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a designer it's always great to see people enjoying your product. I remember the days when I first demonstrated 'Day & Night', all the way back in 2004 when I was still a teenager. I figured that the feeling I got from seeing people enjoy my product is something I'd like to experience as much as possible. I decided to invest all my time and money on this project, to see if I could make a successful debut game. The feeling I now have is not very different than the feeling of that first time I saw someone enjoy my product, or the first positive review or when my game became nominated for the International Gamers Award. But it's amplified by a thousand, now Day & Night actually won the International Gamers Award 2009 for the best 2-player board game!

"Outstanding General Strategy game in the 2-Player category"

When Day & Night was announced as a finalist I was thrilled. I was both surprised and very happy that a game with such an unusual theme, and most of all, so unknown would make the cut. But more and more I understood how important actually winning the award would be and instead of just being happy Day & Night was nominated, I really wanted Day & Night to win! My nights became shorter and shorter and eventually, I couldn't even sleep at all... I was very excited and nervous about receiving so many requests from distributors all around the world and after a couple of times trying to force myself to sleep I got up and continued working on Spiel preparations. In one of my breaks I finally fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up, I was just in time to see an email with the subject "Congratulations! Day & Night named as recipient of 2009 International Gamers Award!" appear. My cheers and jumping made my cats hide under the couch for at least an hour.

A successful debut!

When I read the press release I thought back of all the challenges I encountered during these 5 years.

"The International Gamers Awards is extremely proud and excited to announce the recipients for the 2009 IGA (General Strategy category), a set of awards which recognizes outstanding strategy board games in several categories".
I remembered the hours I spend on discussing the illustrations with artist and very good friend Eerin Vink, making sketches and stories for the spells. In a timespan of more than 1,5 years Eerin hand painted more than 40 original arts, an amazing job. Yes, we wanted the game to be 'outstanding'; as "nothings" in the board game world, we had to be 'outstanding'.

"In the 2-Player category, the award goes to Day & Night, a strategic game set in a fantasy world where Lady Day and Lady Night duel for the right to remain in their celestial palace".
I remember the hours I spend on creating the story and rules of the game, and testing the many spells with game developer and very good friend Sebastiaan van den Roovaart. We wanted to make a balanced game full of original mechanisms that would be exciting until the very last turn.

"Each player possesses a unique set of cards, and must play them wisely to gain the upper hand and thwart their opponent".
I remember all the test plays with the many enthusiasts, both online and in game evenings and on events.

"Day & Night is a beautifully illustrated game with original artwork. The game is designed by Valentijn Eekels and released by Mystics.nl. This is the first IGA for both Eekels and Mystics.nl."
Yes, my debut game is a success, and without Eerin Vink and Sebastiaan van den Roovaart it wouldn't have been possible.

Spiel 2009

In less than a month, we'll be attending Spiel to widely spread our game. Please come and visit our booth (9-10) to play on our Day & Night tables (hand painted by Eerin). With the current demand, if you want to be certain about obtaining a copy I recommend you to pre-order a game (for €25,-) by filling out the contact form at http://www.dn-boardgame.com/contact. When you pre-order fast you'll get a goodie too (until they run out!). If you can't come, you can also order our game from our website (and I'll add some small presents) or wait until Day & Night is widely available to save on shipping. It's going to be my first time Spiel, and from what I read, it's going to be one big roller coaster of experiences but I'm looking forward a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I look forward trying the game, hopefully at Essen '09.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I have a copy of D&N sitting on my game shelf, ready to go for my next game night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Di Marco
Italy
Firenze
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Visit www.ilsa-magazine.it
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

Mauro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kotsarinis
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Valentijn! Enjoy your well deserved and hardly earned prize. I hope we have some time to seat down and play some games while at Essen.

Dani
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I actually bought this as a gift for my fiancée for our anniversary and she absolutely loves it. Thanks for your hard work on this fun and beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Geenen
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Jeroen Geenen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.