Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This review will not be on how game play work but on what I like/dislike about the game. This is my first review so please go easy on me.

I always do lots of research on a game before I buy it, and that is what I did when Small World first caught my eye a few months ago.

What first drew my interest to from reading other reviews Small World?

d10-1 A theme I love, fantasy type games are my favorite, the artwork is beautiful and characters are fun.

d10-2 2 - 5 player game, most of my gaming did done with my wife so I like a game that we can play with just the two of us. We regularly have friends over for game night so its nice that we can play it with more.

d10-3 Wargame, some say its not a wargame because the combat is so light and simple but it is a fantasy based war game.

d10-4High interaction, your battling to control as much of the map as you can which means your going to have to stop other players from doing the same.

d10-5A variety of races to chose from, lots of fun fantasy characters to chose from with ever changing powers.

d10-6 Decline, being able to put your army/race in decline because they have been wiped out or spread thin

Why I passed the game up based on other reviews.

d10-1 Combat is to light

d10-2 Plays poorly with two players

d10-3 Although you have different maps for 2,3,4 and 5 players the maps never change.

d10-4 Game get repetitive.

What saved me from missing this game.

The other week I went on vacation with my wife and a few other friends, one of them brought Small World. I was still curious about it so I asked him to play. My first game was a two player game which I really enjoyed. As soon as we finished I asked to play again.During the week we played 10 to 15 games ranging from 2 to 5 players. I enjoyed it as much with 2 as I did with 5. As soon as we got home from our vacation I went to the local game store and picked up my own copy since my wife and I both enjoyed the game so much.

What I loved about the game

d10-1 The biggest draw for me to small world is seeing what races will come out with what powers, and what can be done with what available. Even if you you get a race with a power they have had before it is still different because of how they will interact with other races currently on the board.

I know some complain that the board is always the same but if it had some type of board like Catan I feel it could make some races to powerful ruining the game balance. The variety of races/powers keeps the game fresh while the consistent board keeps its it balanced.

d10-2 Strategy, the game deeper than I expected. Its not a brain burner but player with the best strategy usually wins in the games I have played. Some times its best to go after other players some times its best to go on the other side of the board out of someones reach. The luck level is low, even with unlucky dice a good strat will usually prevail.

d10-3 Fantasy base Wargame, a very light war game that my wife really likes.

d10-4Play well with 2, I have read some did not like SW with 2 player but I felt it play just as well with 2 as it did with 5.

d10-5 Top notch components, everything in the box is well made and even the box insert is one of the best I have seen for storing the game.

I currently have this game rated at a 10. It may be because I was not expecting to like the game as much as I do but this is my wife and I favorit game to play at the moment. If you had any hesitations because of the reasons I listed above I would recommend trying this out.

Game play at the beach house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it worked out for you. Small World is a terrific game, and I think I've pinpointed why you were pleasantly surprised.

sliponflange wrote:

d10-1 Combat is to light

Well, there isn't any combat. It's a game of area control, not a wargame. You want combat; you need to go out and buy Axis & Allies

sliponflange wrote:

d10-2 Plays poorly with two players

As you found out, this is completely erroneous. There has clearly been a significant amount of effort expended in making SW fully scalable.

sliponflange wrote:

d10-3 Although you have different maps for 2,3,4 and 5 players the maps never change.

This is true, although the fact you can enter maps from any angle negates this to a great extent. There is a project underway to make modular board out of Catan sections: I don't actually see the necessity in it.

sliponflange wrote:

d10-4 Game get repetitive.

By my reckoning, there are 38,760 Race-Power combinations. OK, it's not quite Dominion, but at least it's nicer to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was quite enamored with this game from the beginning having played Vinci before putting my hands on Small World.

The only things I do not like in Small World is that it does become a bit repetitive with further plays and that although there are several combinations possible, they are not enough. I think these are a part of the same problem though and with upcoming expansions this will be fixed.

Combat is light but this game isn't really about combat it's about calculating how long can you stretch your civilization and the perfect time to decline.

I just wouldn't understand why someone would say that it doesn't play well with 2, I've played with several numbers of people and it always seemed balanced. My only advice is to remove the diplomat from 2 player games has it can make the game very boring.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Complaining about the board staying the same?!?! Isn't this true of 99% of the games out there? Strikes me as an odd complaint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
An honest sounding review for buying/not buying this game.

It does not play well with two and it is repetitive. Had I known that this game would bore me after a while, I would not have bought it.

Yes, it is nice looking and the components are good, too. The variety of races gives variety but not enough for two players.

Even though it is not really a battle theme, the skirmiches are rather offset by the repetiveness of them. Get land or "steal land", deline race and get another race....on and on.

Just wished there was that element of expectation that something different would happen. No tense moments and at the end ofthe game, one really feels that is was a bit too protracted for a light game. Yes, it is a light game.

I would probably buy this for a child of 8 plus, providing they have at least three friends to play with. Even after a couple of games, the kids might get bored.

Thanks, I agree with most of what the OP said except that I do not think this is a light wargame and it is not IMHO, a deep thinking strategic game.

Regards.

Edit:typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider this to be more of a "do the best with what you have" game than any sort of wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Suciu
United States
California
flag msg tools
I really like the format of this review. Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your review. It's amazing how many of my friends were in the same position you were. Unsure of two player quality and re-playability. So far every person I have introduced it to,and actually had time to finish one game with, has liked it. One of my friends has actually decided that he likes it more than Killer Bunnies, which for him is saying something. My wife and I are always looking for two player games and have really come to enjoy this one. Excellent first review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callie Baird
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for this review~! It was really helpful.

After reading this and some others, I'm making Small World my first board game purchase, and I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bryant
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Trump wrote:
Complaining about the board staying the same?!?! Isn't this true of 99% of the games out there? Strikes me as an odd complaint...

Well said LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, but I don't get the heading. It seems like it will be a negative review, but turns up to be very positive.

I get that you did not buy it initially, but still don't quite follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Good review, but I don't get the heading. It seems like it will be a negative review, but turns up to be very positive.

I get that you did not buy it initially, but still don't quite follow.

Maybe it was a way to get folks to click on the review. It worked for you. If the title had been "A positive review" or something similar, I likely wouldn't have clicked on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dickinson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Actually, if you like combat, you would most likely prefer the two-player game. With two players the game gets more cutthroat. At least, that has been my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
1. Combat is to light

2. Plays poorly with two players

3. Although you have different maps for 2,3,4 and 5 players the maps never change.

4. Game get repetitive.

1. And that is a good thing.

2. Grossly untrue.

3. I suppose.

4. Not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how "Game gets repetitive" is being disputed as untrue or something, when its a matter of opinion. Some people would find it quite repetitive. And those initial opinions were previous to playing, so disputing them in subsequent posts is pointless, as he has already disputed them IN HIS OWN REVIEW.

Good review, I am actually a bit more interested in the game knowing about the scalability with 2 and some of the other issues you seemed to lay to rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
I like how "Game gets repetitive" is being disputed as untrue or something, when its a matter of opinion. Some people would find it quite repetitive. And those initial opinions were previous to playing, so disputing them in subsequent posts is pointless, as he has already disputed them IN HIS OWN REVIEW.

Good review, I am actually a bit more interested in the game knowing about the scalability with 2 and some of the other issues you seemed to lay to rest.
Exactly, and I am disputing them again.

I like how two people can say the same thing and one is "laying issues to rest" and the other is "pointless dispute of opinion."

Unless you have an issue with people repeating what others have said. In which case I'd remind you that many people have already mentioned that this was a good review before you did. So now what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Weapon wrote:

Exactly, and I am disputing them again.

I like how two people can say the same thing and one is "laying issues to rest" and the other is "pointless dispute of opinion."

Unless you have an issue with people repeating what others have said. In which case I'd remind you that many people have already mentioned that this was a good review before you did. So now what?

I read that less as "putting the issue to rest" mainly because of the shortness and seeming response to the main author, I don't really mind that it was repeated again, it just seemed like the author was taking scrutiny for his previous opinion when he has obviously retracted most of it. I guess that was just a difference in how I read your comments as to how you intended them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We are basically saying the same thing after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
I like how "Game gets repetitive" is being disputed as untrue or something, when its a matter of opinion. Some people would find it quite repetitive.

A reason why they find it repetitive might be helpful rather than just the statement.

I'm always very sceptical when someone lists "Game gets repetitive" as a negative. I mean virtually every boardgame has a standard turn sequence that must be followed by all players game after game.

When you look at chess it's extremely repetitive. I move, they move, I move, they move... There's not even any phases within a turn. But that in itself doesn't make it a boring or unenjoyable game.

I prefer it when reviewers go into the reasons why they find a game uninteresting because pointing out that a board game follows a repetitive cycle is stating the obvious, that's how they're designed.

I'm not criticising this particular review btw as it's a good honest one. Just responding to 'repetition' as a negative generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.