Subject: Troop transports in San Carlos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:
1. Must all the air raid be finished before landing can occur ? Or can the landing take place after first air raid ?

2. After the landing, is it not good to leave the empty transport in San Carlos area to serve as cheap targets and protect transports full of troops (1 point instead of 2 and not a military asset anymore)?

Can one send empty troop transports from the TF later for the same purpose ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Bertrand,

1) Yes, you have to wait for all the air raids to have been completed before you can start landing the Troops.

2) Sorry, No. Once the Troop ship is empty it must return to the Central Task Force Zone. You're right, it's a good idea though.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Hodges wrote:
Bertrand,
2) Sorry, No. Once the Troop ship is empty it must return to the Central Task Force Zone. You're right, it's a good idea though.

Dan

Wow that is a quick reply. Thanks Dan.

There is nothing in the rule that states that the troop transport must leave the San Carlos Bay, am I wrong ?

(ps: also see my question about Argentinian Navy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Bertrand,

I know there's nothing in the rules; I hadn't actually considered that tactic until you raised it!

I was thinking about it from a historic perspective, and I'm not sure the British would have deliberately palced civilian vessels in the bay as 'bait'.

Having thought about it a bit more, it's true that civilian transports were used to 'screen' the Carriers, (hence the destruction of Atlantic Conveyor'.

I might throw this one out to the rest of the WTID community, and see what they think.

Dan

p.s. Where do I find your Argentine navy question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the question about the Argentinian Navy
It is in the extended Rules question on this forum. There are many more posts than in the front page

Just a quick question about the historical situation at game's beginning:
As the major threat from the Argentinian Navy happened on May 1st: the 25 de Mayo was ready to launch its aircraft at the British taskforce. The 2 other Naval groups were also at sea near the exclusion zone.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/an.html

Wouldn't it be logic to have all of the Argentinian Navy at Sea at beginning of game ?

And to come back to my original question, Canberra and QE2 are worth 2 points and I would not leave them sit there, but the other 4 troop transports once unloaded are only worth 1 point.
You eventually suggested in the rulebook to leave combat vessels without short range weapons as sitting ducks. I would rather leave one of these 4 transport ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Bertrand,

Got it.

OK, the reason why the naval units aren't at sea at the beginning is just for design reasons.I wanted a game when the threat built up gradually, rather than pitching the player ino the thick of it from Turn One. The build up of tension as the Task Force gets closer to the islands is one of the key elements that comes out of any good narrative of the conflict, and that's what I was trying to capture. It's why the Mirages don't target the Task Force on 1 May, or South Georgia is already captured, or the Argentine land units are already dug in around San Carlos, etc

If you think it would make for a more intersting game though, you could start with the Task Groups either 'In Port' or place them in the Naval Patrol Boxes during set-up. Shouldn't create to big a problem in terms of play balance.

On your original question; whilst you may prefer to risk the empty Troop Transports, (I know I would!), what I'm considering is whether that works thematically; i.e. would it really have happened, or rather, can you rationalise it happening?

I think my feeling is that the British Commanders simply woudln't have been able to justify using civilian vessels and crews in this way, (the ships owners may have had a word or two with the MOD as well). So while it would be useful for game purposes, my 'Official Ruling' is that empty transports have to be returned to the Central Task Force Zone once unloaded.

However, ther's obviously nothing to stop you playing your game any way you want!

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.