Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Availability and general satisfaction poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just see if some issues are legitimate or things are seriously getting blown out of proportion:

Poll
1. What's your current situation concerning Space Hulk?
I have my own copy and am completely satisfied.
I have my own copy but limited availability worries me because I would like if I had an option of buying extra in the future (for whatever reason).
I don't have one but because I still haven't decided whether I want to buy it. I have means of getting one if I decide I need to own it.
I don't have one because it is unavailable in all the local stores and feasible online shops.
2. If you DO own Space Hulk, how many copies have you bought?
1
2
3-5
5-10
10+
3. If you DO NOT own Space Hulk but would like to have one, what steps did you take to try and get one?
I only checked my local GW store.
I checked my local GW store as well as the ones in near vincinity.
I actively searched all the GW stores, even the ones pretty out of the way.
I checked all the GW stores I could think of as well as all online stores that can conceivably ship a copy to me for reasonal costs.
GW stores, online shops, reasonably priced auctions and every other means I could think of.
4. If GW decided to break their own word and reprint Space Hulk, how would you react?
I would hate it because I like owning a "special edition" game and a reprint would make me feel cheated.
I would hate it because it would completely ruin my investment.
I wouldn't mind, but would like if the reprint was less lavishly produced so my edition still remains "special".
I'm fine either way.
I would like it, even if the reprint was vastly subpar to the current 3rd edition.
I would love it, and nothing except the exact reprint of the 3rd edition would satisfy me.
5. Finally, what's your current opinion about the entire "re-release" of Space Hulk!
Absolutely brilliant! GW enabled me to own a great game with superb production values, and I couldn't be happier.
I'm happy Space Hulk got reprinted, but I'm not really happy because of the limited availability. They should have found a way to keep it available for a longer period of time.
I'm utterly ambiguous about the entire thing. It's just a game, after all.
It's rubbish. They should have either made it generally available, or not reprint it at all.
      285 answers
Poll created by baba44713
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like most of use are quite happy.

Nothing to complain about here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent poll. It does seem that most people are satisfied with their purchase so well done GW. I didn't think it was possible anymore but they have released a quality product.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My ONLY criticism is how tightly everything was packed the box. This resulted in a few breaks to my figures, which by far does not sound uncommon. Fixable but never-the-less just a tad bit disappointing. Other than that I am very happy with the excellent quality.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - excellent poll. As a fan still trying to snag a copy it was nice to be asked to participate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got both my boxes early... Opened the first one, and NOTHING was broken, or warped. I couldn't be more happy with it. The White Dwarf magazine praised the designers at how they stuffed so much into the box. I guess they never considered shipping and handling would be so tough on them.

Number 2 is still in the plastic, waiting to be opened when my son gets older. I can only hope it is in as good of shape as the first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy as a clam, but wish there was wider, cheaper availability because it would make a great gift! (And my friends ain't worth 100 bucks )
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it seems that mostly everyone is quite satisfied with re-release of Space Hulk, limited availability or not. Interestingly enough, a majority wouldn't mind a reprint.. I thought there would be a stronger backlash on that issue.

Of course, the investors seem to be ignoring the poll altogether so..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
super_d wrote:
My ONLY criticism is how tightly everything was packed the box.

Feels rather different from complaining about huge boxes without much content, doesn't it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
super_d wrote:
My ONLY criticism is how tightly everything was packed the box.

Feels rather different from complaining about huge boxes without much content, doesn't it?


Actually a very good point you make here. You get quite alot in the hefty box.

I think a good way to check to see if your figures have been stressed before opening is to check the box cover and see if there has been pressure from the other side. On my copy you can visibly see quite a few bumps and raised spots caused from the figures pushing against the back of the cover. Just a wee bit more thickness to the box could've avoided this.

When I opened mine I checked for breakage first thing. It was just one of those "awww" pouty lipped moments upon realizing there were a couple breaks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the poll is it assumes that local GW shops are available. I live in a major city, but the only GW shops are located way out in the further suburbs. Not only do a lot of people not have cars and thus no way to get there, but it's still a good hour and a half drive or so.

I ordered my copy online.

In all fairness in this city if something is in another neighborhood across town (e.g. probably only four or five miles away) it can still take you a good hour to get there and be considered inaccessible to the degree that you just order online. This is one of the reasons why the dot-com boom, being led from San Francisco, had such a proliferation of places offering delivery via the Internet of often everyday items like groceries or pet food. Getting these basic things is often far more trouble than most people elsewhere would imagine. There are very few places where one mile would be considered "too far", but that's not at all uncommon here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, my "local" GW store isn't so local for me either. Was almost not an option at all.

I also found some of the poll answers a bit wordier and not as simple and well-defined as I would have preferred. And when after much hesitation on the last question (the one about general happiness) I couldn't find anything better than the last answer to describe my personal experience, I kind of felt like a moron and jerk for how it was phrased. ("It's rubbish. They should have either made it generally available, or not reprint it at all.") I mean, if I were to actually say that, it would seem I was either denying the production values in the box (only mentioned in the very first alternative) or wanting to deprive those who got a copy of all the joy they are getting from it - or both. In fact, I do neither, but for me, personally, the publication of 3rd ed. was a purely negative experience (made me waste time researching a game that turned out to be unavailable). Ah well.

baba44713 wrote:
Interestingly enough, a majority wouldn't mind a reprint.. I thought there would be a stronger backlash on that issue.

Of course, the investors seem to be ignoring the poll altogether so..

This part of the poll is indeed the one I find the most interesting as well. Sadly, the opposition against a reprint indicated here seems already huge to me. In particular considering that, as you say, pure investors will almost certainly be vastly underrepresented here on BGG. (Also, the speculators would most often have bought multiple copies, so a huge part of the sold copies would have gone to the "hoarders", people opposed to a reprint.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly favor a reprint, but would prefer it was made in a cheaper variant edition simply to get it into the hands of more people, not because I want my copy to be worth more. The hoarders and speculators deserve to be hurt. If there was a way they could personally be smacked upside the head I'd approve of it. Any way we can cause them to be hurt for trying to game a system and gouge others is perfectly just.

I would also, breaking the poll a bit, be very happy if an identical copy was reprinted. As I said, I don't care if my copy is more or less special, I just want more copies to be out there and more future support and expansions. I think a cheaper version would best accomplish this goal, but I've got nothing against a reprint of the deluxe version. The important thing is that it's reprinted.

I'd be a bit upset that I could have gotten a less deluxe copy for less money, but even though I'm unemployed and strapped for cash I'm still not going to be too upset. I got a very nice edition and the limited nature caused me to make a rash decision and buy something when I otherwise would have waited. Probably until even a non-limited printing went out of print.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite fortunate, my FLGS had one copy left, so I managed to pick it up for about MSRP, which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't really care if GW decided to reprint this 3rd ed because I'm "investing" in Space Hulk, so I'll just be glad if other people who want it can get it later too.

The only thing I'll be somewhat miffed with is if they do reprint it with corrections/updates, and not offer some sort of replacement program for the initial print run owners arrrh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing GW they'll reprint it, but with one or two modified miniatures. That way it won't be an exact reprint so they won't be going back on their promise, it'll be equally collectible, and it'll push further sales for 40k players who want it either for a way to cannibalize the parts for cheap (even though I really don't approve of this) or just to get their hands on new sculpts.

The problem is that they'd need to make new molds for the figures and redesign completely new sprues cutting heavily into the profit. Adding one extra figure wouldn't normally be a problem, but removing the old figure it's replacing would be the issue. You could, I guess, just include one extra figure, but it would have to be a Marine as the Genestealers are already limited while the Marine placement instructions are listed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the problem is the models that need a print run of like 75K to be profitable.

What they should do is just have the same model for all genestealers and all non-special marines, and then use the same (cheaper?) plastic models that FFG uses. They obviously can include plastic minis in games that have a much smaller print run, so… it probably is cheaper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Yeah, the problem is the models that need a print run of like 75K to be profitable.

What they should do is just have the same model for all genestealers and all non-special marines, and then use the same (cheaper?) plastic models that FFG uses. They obviously can include plastic minis in games that have a much smaller print run, so… it probably is cheaper.


Licensing out to FFG is the smart move. They'll support it and they have the resources and infrastructure to keep it on shelves a lot longer. If GW doesn't want to do it or only wants to be in charge of these big, deluxe reissues for anniversaries and such then at least let someone who will keep the game in print have a chance at it. If the margins on this were as thin as people seem to be indicating then they'll likely make even more money going this route.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.