Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Play no.2 was another Die Zombies, Die! last week that I didn't bother to report. The zombies won, nuff said. So, now to game no.3

Tonight my wife and I added in the advanced cards/rules and selected one of the other scenarios - in this case, having removed the Manor, we randomly drew the destruction of the spawning pits. This one required that 3 of the starting 4 be burned using either gasoline or dynamite. I was suspicious that this make prove tricky but, as my wife would sooner be the undead than play them, I took the zombies and shethe heroes - in this case, Sally, Jonny, Jake and the Famrer's Daughter (I forget her name).

We started the game as immediately it seemed my initial suspicions as to the difficulty were going to be borne out. First I started with 11 zombies, then on the second turn I managed to spawn a new pit and a number of new zombies and, then, on turn number 3 the Farmer's Daughter was swarmed and annihilated. As this was during the dark hours she quickly became an extra minion in my horde (to my wife's shock) and she was forced to select a new character who was to be Becky, the nurse. Thus far, no explosives were to be seen.

By this point Jonny and Sally were shacked up in the police station, having earlier fled the gun shop, and slowly but surely they started to rack up the item and event cards (there was probably a bit of hand up skirt action as well but best we don't ponder such salacious teenage shennanigans on this report as it will detract from the gaming goodness). Anyway, by about turn 6 Sally managed to draw the shotgun and pass it off to Jonny who judiciously managed to slay half a dozen zombies in a couple of turns (I felt bad for my wife who was struggling to find an exploive item/Jonny who'd had his hand-upskirt action rudely interuppted and didn't make much of an effort to spread them out).

While this was happening Becky and Jake were holed up on the opposite side of the board desperately searching for something to destroy the spawn pits. Try as they might, though, there was nary a sparkler in sight - even with Jake's 2 card draw ability. Both took a couple of intermittent wounds but using Becky's skill and some cards they managed to remain healthy, albeit slowly surrounded by an increasing number of 1-space-shamblers.

Finally, on turn 10, Sally managed to locate some dynamite in the police station and made a dash for the closest spawning pit. That side of the board had been totally cleared of zombies by Jonny's shotgun at this point and as I had been rolling low on the respawn there were few to none reappearing. One was now gone but with only 4 turns left it seemed there was slim to no chance of victory for the heroes. Next turn, though, Jake managed to draw the card allowing for rummaging the discard deck and chose to swipe the used dynamite to make a last ditch attempt at saving the town. Becky, on the other hand, apparently couldn't be bothered to help out as she found another useless item.

The last few turns slowly drew to a close and even the dice turned against my wife as she rolled minimal movement for Jake and ddn't managed to reach the spawning pit in the morgue, let alone have the free turn to use it. I pointed out that he might as well blow up the newly spawned zombies in a fit of spite and my wife gleefully agreed, the pair into red mist. Then, finally, on the very last turn, Becky drew another dynamite. Too little too late, though, as the sun had now risen and the undead horde overran the town. Farewell brave heroes.

This was a fairly enjoyable game but my wife has consistently had difficulty juggling 4 heroes simultaneously and too often she forgot to use cards. I tried to help out, pointing out tactics and useful cards as this was still a learning experience for her. With a few more players to lessen the administrative burden I'm convinced she'll enjoy it - until then, she tolerates the occasional game as a training opportunity to ensure she can engage fully when such an opportunity presents.

With 3 games under my belt I'm now giving LNOE a provisional rating of 7. I'll wait until I play with more opponents (and maybe get a go with the humans) to give it a definitive one but I suspect that when I do it will probably get a bump of a further point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Here's a point that might help your wife overcome her aversion to the undead: while playing Zombies well still requires a fair bit of tactical thinking, they are considerably less complex than managing all four Heroes (including their abilities, a couple of items, and a handful of event cards).

Also, in general, a group of Hero players has more trouble coordinating their characters than a solo Hero player. That gives the Zombies an additional edge in a 3- or 5-player game. Just to balance things out a bit, you might consider volunteering to play the Heroes when you try the game out with your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Noumena wrote:
Here's a point that might help your wife overcome her aversion to the undead: while playing Zombies well still requires a fair bit of tactical thinking, they are considerably less complex than managing all four Heroes (including their abilities, a couple of items, and a handful of event cards).

Also, in general, a group of Hero players has more trouble coordinating their characters than a solo Hero player. That gives the Zombies an additional edge in a 3- or 5-player game. Just to balance things out a bit, you might consider volunteering to play the Heroes when you try the game out with your friends.

Sorry, you see, the logic of your reasoning is that it is logical. My wife isn't interested in logic, only in not playing the ghastly zombieszombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Pardo
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Noumena wrote:
while playing Zombies well still requires a fair bit of tactical thinking, they are considerably less complex than managing all four Heroes (including their abilities, a couple of items, and a handful of event cards)

Agree. My girlfriend was more confortable playing zombies because of that. By the way, she has improved a lot since we began playing and she learnt from the experience of playing with more people. She now plays really well and has no problem managing cards although she still finds some trouble with pickups. She usually forget them, hehe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Pardo
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
elgin_j wrote:

Sorry, you see, the logic of your reasoning is that it is logical. My wife isn't interested in logic, only in not playing the ghastly zombieszombie

With time she will learn to love them... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.