Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some users who write pretty incredible session reports. I am not one of them. However, I finally had a chance to play two Fire Fights against BGG user valthalion (And yes, he looks exactly like his avatar!).

Logically enough we started with FF1. I was the Germans in this one. First couple of rounds saw me lose 2 quick units. Needless to say, I became quite discouraged with this. However, the game was to slowly turn to the favor of the Germans as the limited fire rate of the Russians and good die rolling on the part of the Germans started to take it's toll.

(IIRC, Germans had at least 3+ rolls that were +4 DRs = auto kills. Auto kills are huge. No rally, no reaction, at least one less roll to kill, thus saving APs and CAPs.)

There were also two CCs initiated and won by the Germans.

Game ended in round 4 with each side was down to one unit. The Germans eliminated the last Russian unit, as the Russians tried to claim control of the Satchel containing the German secret plans.

German victory 6-3

FF3

This was a joke. I was the Russians and lost 6-0. Game ended because the only units left were snipers and there was no way to win. The snipers were the only ones who fired (to no effect). The other units never got close enough to fire. The machine guns laid waste as the Russians tried to performa a pincer move through the fields. 4 units on each side. I lost 4 units in the first round.

Upon reflection, we think the Russians might try a massive group move with all 8 units. I can't wait to see more session reports on this as people start getting this game. This is a challenge.

I also look forward to strategies for using the snipers.

We definitely like the shared activation. This is a great change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Hopefully getting my copy this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is out? Everyone says "preorder" that I have checked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He bought it at Gen-Con(?) I won't get my copy for another 3-5 weeks (ordered via online store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. My online store "pre-order" from long ago will not arrive for quite some time, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Uwe last week and his reply was: "Dear Dave,
SoS is shipping this week to the pre-order customers. Yeah, finally!
First Men In is in full design mode.
Price of Honour is also in full design mode.
As is Isle of Doom and Guadacanal.
Under Burning Skies has need pushed back for now.
Thanks for your support!
Sincerely,
Uwe". Now I don't know if pre-order customers include online game stores or not. I am hoping it does include them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hiatt
United States
OFallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, i do look amazingly like my avatar. i am on the look out for a large wooden log chair...

ok...first, i had a great time today. As Todd pointed out, the first FF1 was close and intense. I was able to knock off two units as they approached the building, but a unit hunkering in the woods was able to move and CC two spent units in a single building...and with no CAPS (lesson there?) they were defenseless, unable to react to the approaching Germans. The CC killed one and wounded the other unit and it went down hill from there. The Germans, being generally far more effective units, are deadly to the Russians in CC and I didnt have the firepower to keep them at distance. Still, it was a tense and close game.

FF3 was completely different. I was the Germans this time and the two HMGs with a fire cost of only 2 meant 1 CAP was 4 shots each or 8 shots at the approaching Russians. With the wheat immature, the fields provided little cover and none of the Russion rifle squads got off a shot before being destroyed. The Russian snipers were effective at getting off shots, but their 2 firepower against Germans in a building meant having to roll 10 or 11 without the benifit of CAPs...which after round two, were almost gone due to the dead rifle squads. So while the snipers can harry, they dont really present much of a theat.

So..after a complete and utter destruciton of the Russians, we discussed how the Russians might be more effective. Moving singly seems suicidal as teh Germn can easily dispatch 3 to 4 Russions per turn just from HMG fire. A large group movement seems like it might work, but the group can be sundered by killing a central unit, thus slowing down the group significantly. Still this might provide a way to get some units into fire range (6 i think) for round 2.

I was wondering about Hidden movement might be able to get the Russions in range. I think this would have to be group Hidden movement and it would be pretty slow, as 7 APs mean one can move 2 hexes if 1 CAP is added. If the Russians spend 4 more CAPS, then they should be able to move a third Hidden move, thus advancing 3 hexes on the first turn. Doing this two turns, gets the entire set of rifle units close enough to activate normally and fire on the Germans in the Bldgs. They are still going to get slaughtered as the Germans will hit > 50% of the time while the Russinos are typcially going to need a 10 on 2d6 to hit, so can get about 3 shots at 8 by adding two CAPs, but even then, the russians are going to have to get lucky to hit the Germans much prior to getting wiped out. One might be able to activate units in such a manner to get a HMG activated and provide it with only one target, thus forcing it to stall and waste some APs, before activating anothere unit.

If the Russions are husing hiddne movement then the HMGs are going to be attacking hexes at random to try to hit them. Cant rememmber what the rules say about attacking hexes and what causes a unit to be revealed.

Regardless I am anxious to play this again and ot hear how others have approached this FF.

later all, Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
valthalion wrote:
I was the Germans this time and the two HMGs with a fire cost of only 2 meant 1 CAP was 4 shots each or 8 shots at the approaching Russians.

Huh? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Profit wrote:
valthalion wrote:
I was the Germans this time and the two HMGs with a fire cost of only 2 meant 1 CAP was 4 shots each or 8 shots at the approaching Russians.

Huh? Am I missing something?

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Sounds like they were M60's rather than MG 42's.. How did you get 4 shots from 1 cap? It would take 2 caps to fire each MG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means that with a 2-AP-firecost you can fire 4 shots with one activation (having 7 AP's) by spending an extra CAP. With two of those machine guns, that is 8 shots on the advancing Russians in total, by spending 2 CAP's and having activated (used) both units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:
I think he means that with a 2-AP-firecost you can fire 4 shots with one activation (having 7 AP's) by spending an extra CAP. With two of those machine guns, that is 8 shots on the advancing Russians in total, by spending 2 CAP's and having activated (used) both units.

That's what he meant. It was brutal.

Jeff, that is an interesting thought on the hidden movement. Playing the German would be like playing a game of Battleship.

Another way to make the Germans even more Brutal: place the two hidden Germans closer to the setup line, deep in the fields. Let the Russians pass you. Let the machine guns "wound" the advancing Russians and then get flank shots on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Soviet Strategy was the following, and I won a pretty decisive victory:

I placed one sniper above and behind the Northern-most HMG, so that it could fire at the HMG, and if spotted, the HMG would have to turn to attack it.

I placed the other sniper in the building on the west side, so that it had a good range of who it could fire at, and if spotted, had a defense of 15 so would be very difficult to kill.

I began each round by firing with my snipers. The Germans have little they can do in response, except to use up their men's activations by rallying if they get hit.

I began bringing in soviet units south of the building one at a time, to draw fire and finish using up the German HMGs. I brought them up just short of being within range of the German engineers. I would take hits and rally as best as I could to keep them alive.

After that, the HMGs were essentially used up, and I marched in a larger group of Soviets north of the building. Got them just into range of the HMGs and group fired.

With this strategy, I think I only lost one Soviet rifle and one sniper, and by the end of the second-to-last round, had cleared out all the Germans and was able to take all the objectives.

Now, I was playing against a less experienced opponent, although I had given him a 2 CAP advantage to compensate.

So it's definitely winnable by the Soviets, but sniper placement is important, and you really need to always fire with them first every round in order to suppress the German units as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

I placed the other HMG in the building on the west side, so that it had a good range of who it could fire at, and if spotted, had a defense of 15 so would be very difficult to kill.

Did you mean to say that you placed the other "sniper" into the building, instead of "HMG"? If so, did you "hidden move" him into the building? I thought the set up states you have to set up two hexes from the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojayhawk wrote:
Felkor wrote:

I placed the other HMG in the building on the west side, so that it had a good range of who it could fire at, and if spotted, had a defense of 15 so would be very difficult to kill.

Did you mean to say that you placed the other "sniper" into the building, instead of "HMG"? If so, did you "hidden move" him into the building? I thought the set up states you have to set up two hexes from the village.

Oops, I did mean sniper! I'll fix that right away. And the one building (on the side where the Soviets enter the map) is not part of the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:

Aha I see. Yep that is brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the Soviets, while weaker, have a lot more units. If, as the Soviets, you can trade deaths for kills at a 1:1 ratio, you are probably doing quite a bit better than the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hiatt
United States
OFallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I began bringing in soviet units south of the building one at a time, to draw fire and finish using up the German HMGs. I brought them up just short of being within range of the German engineers. I would take hits and rally as best as I could to keep them alive.

After that, the HMGs were essentially used up, and I marched in a larger group of Soviets north of the building. Got them just into range of the HMGs and group fired.

First, i was unclear in my 8 shots explanation. It was indeed 7APs + 1 CAP per gun resulted in 8 shots with very reasonable chances to hit.

Your strategy is basically what mojayhawk tried, but i was patient and passed until there were numerous targets. That way once i activated, i had a choice of targets so no APs would need to be wasted. I surmised that with only two MGs, I could easily be bled dry of actions if i were too hasty. So, it was a bit of a chicken game, with mojayhawk moving cautiously, as it made an important diff in the odds to hit, but cut his progress in half If he rushed in, he could get in range but i would exact a heavy toll, as the large MG would need only a 6 to hit when he didnt move cautiously. Either way, all I had to do was not get trigger happy and make sure there were ample targets. .

I like your placement of the snipers, forcing the MGs to pivot to react, but their chances of hitting were so low, that i just ignored the snipers. Seemed to me i would hurt myself more by even considering their effect rather than concentrating fire on the approaching rifle squads. You hae to use 2 CAPs just to get the needed roll down to a 9 on the large MG. on the other MG, i dont think there is a handy flank setup spot. I think i would be inclined to focus both snipers on the large MG in hopes of getting lucky and keeping it hampered or getting real lucky and killing it.

later, Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
During play testing we actually had a hard time winning with the Germans. Those Soviet snipers are brutal! Remember, they ALWAYs fire at a unit's flank defense. This is really a brilliant design by Gunter and one of my favorite firefights. There are so many subtle strategies that each player can take to change the outcome of the game. Have fun with it!

All pre-orders (through Academy Games, not through online web stores) have been shipped. This includes all foreign orders that get shipped priority air mail.

All orders to foreign distributors are being shipped tomorrow. Then we begin shipping to American distributors later in the week starting with the west coast and working our way east. This is to insure that games arrive at their destinations at the same time.

Thanks for all of your patience.

Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
During play testing we actually had a hard time winning with the Germans. Those Soviet snipers are brutal! Remember, they ALWAYs fire at a unit's flank defense.
Uwe
1. Obviously you didn't have someone with of my "strategic prowess" playing as the Russians during playtesting.

2. I know we were using their flank defense. IIRC, it was a 2 AF vs. 11 flank DF+1DM (wood building). Need to use those CAPS.

3. Thanks for the shipping update. I can't wait to get my copy so I can try this again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls