Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Keep (I'm not looking at the rulebook right now, but I think it's called the Keep....whatever the tower at the top left-hand corner of the board is) seems way overpowered. It gives whoever has placed a helper there points (I think 3?) for every empty helper spot on the board. Does anyone find this overpowered? It seems like we have quite a bit of empty spots left over after every game...anywhere from 7-11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you realize you're only talking about the copper helper spots? You don't count the spots that don't exist yet. If you are doing that right, I don't know what to tell you. My clan rarely builds unless they're placing at least one helper as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, we're counting copper spots that are revealed after building buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7-11 empty spots is just unthinkable to me. You're saying that you usually have 50% or more of the spots empty. If you're having that many left open, then that that's surely a good scoring spot to get. As for overpowered... well, no, it's not. None of the score spots are. If your group is building like maniacs and not so big on placing helpers, it's your group's problem, not the game's. I don't think one of those scoring buildings EVER get built without the builder placing a helper in the same place when we play. Not that everything gets filled, but at least 3 of the 4 start spots are always filled, and at least a spot in each building is filled. That leaves 6 possible empty spots left, but we don't ever get the whole place built so it's less than that even. The fact that the VP for filled spaces is quite a bit less than for unfilled spaces surely reinforces the idea that the players are expected to be placing helpers nearly as often as they build.

Maybe it has to do with how you're building. Do you find yourself focusing on worker building, stone masons, or bricklayers? It sounds like maybe you're blowing off the bricklayers. That'd reduce your cash flow considerably and have you placing fewer helpers in the castle.

No matter what the reason for why you have so many empty spots, the obvious follow-up here is "Why is your group opening up all of these spots they aren't filling and feeding points to that one guy?". You don't have anyone to blame but yourselves when he wins. It's no different than me building both the gates and placing helpers there and then all of the other players build all of the towers for me. You reap what you sow, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
It sounds like maybe you're blowing off the bricklayers. That'd reduce your cash flow considerably and have you placing fewer helpers in the castle.

this is most likely the case...we'll have to play again tonight and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the neat things about this game is that there are many strategies. Chances are, your group was building a lot of buildings and not covering the copper spots. Sometimes games play out where not many buildings are being built and everyone crashes the open copper spots. Sometimes people just horde resources.

Play it a couple more times and see how it plays out.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Tallahassee
msg tools
In a 2 player I would think it would be with lots of copper helper spots left open. Isn't 2 player bad then. A game i watched, the keep was 30 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asd123321 wrote:
In a 2 player I would think it would be with lots of copper helper spots left open. Isn't 2 player bad then.

Not in my experience. Some buildings don't get built, so they don't count period. For the others, people build them and put guys there mostly, so they're not empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
here there are my two cent for this question...
In our last 3 game we ended up respectively with 2/1/0 empty helper spots.
laugh

There is no really need to leave helper spaces empty when they are available.
Usually if someone build something is to immediately place the first helper and next player building something "smaller" (house/tower/well) to fill the available helper space.

This is how "our game party" usualy play and we have good thrill chosing cards and building sequence.

Alessandro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 2-player last night, the keep got built both times and no one placed a helper there. With 7 helpers each and only a total of 16 empty copper spaces (if all building are built), there's not that many open spaces at the end of the game. I think in our second game, I had one trader's helper and she had two; all the rest of our helper's were on buildings. I think the empty spots were both markets, the keep. one servant's quarters, and one tavern. Not a bad spot if someone had the money (12 VP for $14), but definitely not overpowered even in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.