Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - I'd skip up to the Silver or Gold rules but my significant other is playing so the less rule explaining the better off I am...

Two questions have arisen:

1 The Bronze rules under Combat indicate a Defender without other choices may retreat into a Barbarian area (Section 10.0 Item 5 Defender's options). However, in 12.0 it states "In the Bronze Game units cannot enter Barbarian areas for any reason". This has not come up as yet but should be answered...

2 Event Card: "Legions Grumble" was played by the other side who controlled only 1 Hex city and paid for a Legion. I controlled 4 Hex Cities.

The card text reads: "Each player starting with you, designates each hex city they control and may spend 5 gold to gain 1 Legion there. If that gold is not spent, your opponent receives 1 Legion there"

So it looks like it applies to both players.

Here's the questions:
A Does this apply to only ONE of my 4 cities or all of them (we played it the latter way - at the other player's insistence(?) - which allowed me to place 3 cheap Legions). It woudl be a lot more clear if it said "...designate one..." if that were the rule.

B Since I did not have the gold to place the 4th Legion, she placed a Legion in that city (along with my Leader and 2 of my Legions already there). The way the card reads that sounds like a "free" Legion - is that correct?

C Since this occurred as an Event when SPQR cards were drawn, would the other player - with that lone Legion facing certain annihilation be allowed to move out in its upcoming March Phase to a Neutral (or Friendly City) or must it stand a fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rules as written are correct. They say that a Barbarian area IS an enemy area and, therefore, cannot be retreated into.

2. Yes, it applies to BOTH players in turn.

A. It applies to ALL of their cities.

B. Yes, she gets a free Legion.

C. You don't fight in the Draw Cards phase. If combat conditions still exist in the usual way, you are correct, it will likely be a one-sided contest (but the possibility for some attrition is still there).

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of caesar xl, and also found Legions Grumble confusing. Here are the assumptions we made regarding this card:

- You can only place a legion from the stock. You cannot place a legion from elsewhere on the board (seems like a safe assumption.)

- If it is my turn to pay off legions, but I have no legions to place (ie all my legions are already on the map), then I can still pay 5 gold to prevent my opponent from getting a free legion in that space.

- the legions thus placed (ie the ones placed in enemy territory) cannot move away in the March phase; they must remain there and fight in the combat phase.

There were a couple other cards we thought were a bit vague as well, but nonetheless we had fun and enjoyed the game. It ended in a draw but just barely as Pompey's army was able to rob Caesar of his military victory on the last turn by seizing enough territory to reduce his control from 26 to 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.