Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be very short, but I will say right off that Richard III may turn out to be my favorite Columbia game.

I played the House of York and spent most of campaign 1 trying to get my blocks onto the board and out of exile. I was pretty successful and took London early and then used the London levy to bash a few enemies. Nevertheless, the Lancaster side finished the campaign with a decided advantage and the south belonged to them. My guys limped to their respective homes, but 3 remained in England to await the second campaign.

For the second go round, I began with a AP12 hand and so mulliganed. This turn I was a bit more clued in to what positions I wanted to control and started pushing up north. The Lancaster blocks occupied the center of the board so I deployed the rebels up north with a few blocks and took York. Kent switched sides in the battle, but it went well for me. Lancaster blocks headed north to deal with me and I built up in Wales and around London. Lancaster finished with a 12 to 8 lead.

For the third and final campaign, I knew I had to get all my blocks into England to count for victory, but I also needed to use treachery to get a few blocks to see the Yorkist light. Early on, I managed to get one block to change sides. The Lancaster troops had 5 blocks in XX, so I moved in a 4 block main army with a 4 block reserve and a 2 block reserve to cut off retreat options. As luck would have it, xx contains Bosworth Field and so we fought this epic battle, probably with the game in the balance. I immediately used my senior heir to convince Stanley to change sides, leaving only levies and mercenaries for me to fight. I had a decisive victory and Lancaster did not have the cards or the time to turn the tide his way from there. The game ended with a splendid 12 (or was it 11?) to 14 victory for York!

Richard III is lots of fun. Even with a first game effort, we managed to play in under 3 hours, probably closer to 2.5 hours. Lots of changes of fortune. We both admitted we need to use treachery and the charge option more often. Great fun. Can be played in an evening, or as a filler at a con.

Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marjoram
United States
Harbor City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'll second those positive impression. I liked the game good deal, and suspect I will prefer it to Hammer of the Scots, which is high praise (although, in part this is because I prefer the history of the War of the Roses). I do think that use of the trechery and royal charge (or whatever it is called) will be key in this game, so we only scratched the surface in our game. A big plus is the short playing time (about 2 hours). It's rare to have a satisfying wargame that can be played in just 2 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul and I played Richard III and had an absolute blast! It may very well become my favorite Columbia block game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.