Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Land Grabbing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to see what others are doing with this aspect of the game.

Is anyone, as the FLN, prioritizing getting control of towns and cities? I tried this the first time I played and found it did not pay off all that well. In short order the French gain enough units to garrison these urban areas wherever the FLN moves in while also having plenty of units to fight the fight. Major cities are slightly different when you get there, but overall I'm not seeing or maximized this ability for the FLN to gain Ops Points.

Maybe if enough FLN units were recruited early on, this could be a strategy to spread the French units out, but I've yet to have many early turns where the FLN was that strong and the French that weak.

And since controlling a town or city does not slow French movement along a connecting road, I've largely left the urban centers alone in my second match so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, if you recruit more units than you really need in region then it can be wortwhile to move them into cities/towns. Remember that FLN control these communities (not major cities, which follow the normal rules for regions) by having an equal amount of units compared to the number of French units there. So, if you move into a town then France has stack two units there to control it. So, the reason for moving into a couple of towns/cities could be to gain that extra ops that you might need or, if you don't get that ops, to force France to stack extra units in some of those towns/cities in order to deny you that ops.

Another reason can be to have some extra units stashed away. If you enter towns/cities with some extra units, then they can return to the region later on if you become a bit low there because of French activities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The fact that the extra ops are won before the French can react make it a safe choice.

I think threatening most of the cities (by being in the regions near the cities) while occupying some town in the mountain should be quite effective for the FLN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The fact that the extra ops are won before the French can react make it a safe choice.

Exactly. This forces France to garrison certain towns and cities as a prevention. He will not know for sure, but will have to calculate beforehand the threat and then prioritize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'll go back and see if being a bit more aggressive in grabbing some of those areas helps out better than it was previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did indeed put more pressure on the French. The sooner in the war the FLN can do this the better since by mid and late war there are so many French units available for garrisons that it's easy for them to lock large areas down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years later...

Cities and towns also useful for:

1) As previously noted, they can be controlled until the French place twice as many units as Faileks.

2) The last (only Failek) in a city or town cannot be eliminated if it is adjacent to an FLN Level region. Useful for "stashing" Faileks.

3) Although they have stacking limits, an unlimited number of Faileks can move from a city or town into a region. This is useful for "blitzing" a region. Using a couple of towns, it's possible to place 5 or 6 Faileks in a region in one turn (and only pay for the initial Ops Point costs for the first few Faileks, which then contest the region and the rest move in for free). This can be done to two or three regions at the same time. Hopefully enough Faileks survive to contest the region and allow it to be moved to FLN Level.

4) Or just spread into virgin territory. The French called the spread of FLN on the map "Smallpox."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.