Subject: Games for co-ed college non-gamer group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Aaron
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some good games that handle a decent number of players, and take less than an hour to teach and play. My group typically has a dozen or so people, but some most likely won't always play, as there is air hockey, ping pong, snacks and things.they may participate in instead. As far as I know none have any exposure to gaming, so I'm looking for fun, lighter games. A few things I'm considering bringing out to expose them to gaming include Pitchcar, Bang, TransAmerica, Apples To Apples, Wits & Wagers, and Say Anything. Any recommendations or advice from personal experience is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've brought out Set and Pit with large groups of non-gamers and they both seem to go over well. I also have lots of fun with Catch Phrase, and that works with almost any number of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things... and Unnamed Object are pretty good bets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Crisp
United States
Vass
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple different groups, one of which seems very similar to yours. That group really seems to like active games like Werewolf and Time's Up. I've tried to introduce other games with a little more strategy/depth like Tsuro and Long Shot. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to a party, have a few drinks, dance, enjoy college, get...uh..."frisky" with the co-eds.

College is too short to waste any of the nights playing boardgames when there's so much living to do. Heck, go to a coffee house and watch a band play.

(I'm not joking and am actually fairly serious about this - don't waste what you end up realizing is a very short period of time in your life that you can go and do anything you want...basically whenever you want.)

Edit: And if you're in NOVA, go to DC. A lot. Ton's of stuff there every night of the week. The games will still be around when you graduate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples to Apples is great for a little while but can get stale if played too much. Simple though with simple rules.

I highly recommend PitchCar (and get the big version not the mini). I play with exactly the same group of people you described: co-ed college kids who aren't that into board games (though I've introduced them to many games thanks to this site) and they all love PitchCar. During the first practice game people usually question how fun the game could really be but once you start a series of races and allocate points for different places the game gets very heated. In fact, every time I've brought the game out there was at least one instance where some one made an amazing shot around the track and everyone threw their hands up into the air an cheered. Set up can be annoying because it's difficult to get the rails to stay in place (we use a hammer to gently tap them into the track pieces and it works pretty well) but I've heard that you can just glue to pieces in to speed up the set up but then you can't fit the pieces into the original box. Nevertheless, it was worth every penny and I highly recommend it. P.S.: I've also heard that PitchCar makes a great drinking game though I haven't tried this.

thecrisper recommended Werewolf and I also recommend it. Amazing game with virtually no limit on the number of people that can play.

Eat Poop You Cat (or Telephone Pictionary) is another great game that needs a minimum of 5 people to play (and it's best with an odd number of people) but all you need is a couple sheets of paper and some writing utensils (you know, stuff you don't really use in class anyway) to have a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the info you've given, I'd recommend something like For Sale, Dutch Blitz, Jungle Speed, Pitchcar, Make N Break, No Thanks, Loopin Louie, Dominion, Pandemic, Sorry Sliders, Eye to Eye, Around the World in 80 Days (Rio Grande), Blokus, anything in the 10 Days in the _________ series, Liar's Dice, Cartagena, Pow Wow, Lifeboats (if the group doesn't mind being mean with each other) and the like. All of these one can pretty well teach in 5 minutes and finish easily within 60 minutes if not less. These have been popular at the college where I work and hold gamedays when talking about the average college student.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Bausack

I keep it in my car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancyr wrote:
College is too short to waste any of the nights playing boardgames when there's so much living to do.
The games will still be around when you graduate.

I'll disagree with this. I agree that college (American style, at least) is a unique social opportunity. But why shouldn't games be a part of that?

The OP didn't give any indication that he was planning to devote his whole college experience to doing nothing but playing games. And nobody should be made to feel that they have to have some stereotypical experience instead of doing whatever they're actually interested in.

Look at older (by which I just mean post-college) people here on BGG. How many of us say that
-- we don't get to game as much as we'd like
-- we don't have enough people to play with
-- we can't get some of the games we like most to the table for want of anyone else interested in playing them

And how many of us have memories of great times gaming in college? This is just anecdotal evidence, but I know lots of people who gamed in college. I've met people who still get together for gaming with their college buddies; people who have gotten back into gaming after many years out who are drawn by nostalgia for the great gaming experiences of their college years; and people who don't game much anymore, but have fond memories of all their college gaming.

If you have the opportunity to have a flexible schedule, a relatively great amount of leisure time, few household responsibilities, many friends and acquaintances geographically conveniently located, and plenty of people available to join you in the activity of your choice--whether it's playing boardgames, going to the coffeeshop to hear live music, touch football, Morris dancing, or whatever--I say take advantage of it, and do what you want to do.

Gaming isn't some freakish activity that should be compartmentalized apart from Life. Gaming is part of your life, if you want it to be. Enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callie Baird
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Necromancyr wrote:
Go to a party, have a few drinks, dance, enjoy college, get...uh..."frisky" with the co-eds.

College is too short to waste any of the nights playing boardgames when there's so much living to do. Heck, go to a coffee house and watch a band play.

As a college student who does not drink and hates parties, playing games is what I would prefer to do, far and above all other college activities. I don't drink, I don't like to dance (or at least what passes for dancing at college parties), I'm not interested in casual sex thanks to being in a serious relationship, and I don't like live music.

I spend every Friday and Saturday playing Magic: the Gathering and usually at least one or two weeknights doing the same. I have a decent sized group of friends that I play with and they're the best friends I could have ever dreamed of. We have fun, play games, have intellectual discussions and I believe these are the moments I will wish I could return to in the future.

I imagine, that though I'm in the minority, there are others who feel the same. Not everyone's definition of living life to the fullest is the same. (Personally, I'd rather avoid killing brain cells with alcohol, blasting my eardrums out with music, and picking up STDs, but that's just me.)

Edit: To actually answer the question asked instead of ranting, I know from experience Apples to Apples is great, also Things... worked amazingly for my high school group of friends, and Balderdash is a classic with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schaefer
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend a couple:

Guillotine (fun and funny game, quick to play)
Gloom (fun and funny--if a little morbid themed)
any of the Chez Geek/Goth/Greek/Grunt games
and of course....Munchkin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that I think my friends and I would've had a great time with in college:
Ca$h 'n Gun$ (this one might work for you)
Race for the Galaxy
Tichu
Chopstick Dexterity MegaChallenge 3000 (this one could work too)

I also think we would have liked to do the Jungle Speed variant that these people did where they put the stick in a different room and clobbered each other trying to get it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks dangerously hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jungle speed can be just as thrilling and exciting on the table. I've seen people lift each other off the ground grabbing the totem, diving across the table, etc...the worst moment was when one gal's fingernail got bent totally backwards (although it was almost justice for the amount of cuts she inflicted on the rest of us before that moment!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinis & Men may fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college, we always really enjoyed playing poker (especially Texas Hold'Em).

Citadels can be really fun with the right crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
College? Co-ed?

Twister

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
College life may be short but you can still have fun with games. Werewolf is a good game, Pow Wow plays eight and doesn't require a table. If your classmates are bright you could buy Tichu and have two games of four going on as it comes with two games. Being a partnership game, there's plenty of opportunity for ribbing and high-fives.

A plastic tile game like Rummikub or Tsuro can be played on an unclean surface like a bar table without worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.