Subject: A few rule clarification requests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: designer_comments [+] [View All]
Flop Adrop
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
A) Suppose the purple disease has not been cured, and the medic is at a city that is triple-infected with purples. Can he/she treat only 2 of the cubes, so that someone with that city card can cure the disease? How about just 1? (This has been discussed in some other topic here, but I can't find the link).

B) In the same vein, suppose the red disease is cured by, say, the Scientist. When this cure occurs, the Medic happens to be standing in a city with 1 red cube. Must the Medic necessarily clear away that cube, or can he/she refrain from doing so? (Why? Perhaps the city connects two double-infected cities, and so the medic's inadvertent treatment would prevent the Rapid Vaccine Deployment event card from being able to clear both of them.)

C) Suppose the Mobile Hospital event card is played during the Dispatcher's turn (or Special Orders is used), and the Dispatcher decides to move the Medic Generalist "as if the pawn were his/her own," as the rules say. Does the Mobile Hospital enable the Generalist to remove cubes?

D) (not really a question) Isn't the two-player Researcher + Epidemiologist case undeniably broken? (The Epidemiologist has no special powers then.) Perhaps this particular should officially be banned/unrecommended (i.e., be cause for a redraw of roles)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
A&B) Interestingly, the Medic rules in Pandemic say they "may" remove all cubes of one color instead of one. So it appears you could choose to either 1 or all. In the same way, it says if the medic is in the city with cubes that are just cured, they "may" remove all cubes of that color.

I never really envisioned a scenario where it would be useful to not remove all of them, but given the wording in the rules, I say if you treat a cured disease, you have to remove either 1 or all of them, and if it's already cured, you can choose not to remove the cubes in that city.

C) I would say if you Mobile Hospital the dispatcher, only the dispatcher pawn gets to remove the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A) The Medic can treat 1 or all (not two).
B) The Medic can remove all or none.
C) Don't understand the scenario -- what does the Generalist have to do with any of this?
D) That combo happens 2/11 * 1/10; which is < 2%, with a 4/13 chance of New Assignment being able to adjust your roles. If you feel this is too high and want to go to a house rule, that's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't express how awesome it is that Tom pops in here to answer all these questions and provide insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, thanks for visiting the forums, Tom. And you know, OTB is really, really fun. Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
We now generally deal everyone two roles and let each player choose one WITHOUT consultation.

So would never come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Because without consultation you never ever choose a certain role? Sorry, your story doesn't check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flop Adrop
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Tom, for the quick reply! (and for designing the game laugh )

To clarify C) (I made a typo in the original post), in this situation it's the Dispatcher's turn. The Mobile Hospital event card is played at the beginning of this turn, and the Dispatcher uses his special ability to move the Generalist ("as if the pawn were his/her own," as the rules say). Does the Mobile Hospital enable the Generalist to remove cubes during this turn? (This could also apply to Special Orders instead of the Dispatcher's special abilities.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No. When using the Dispatcher's power (or Special Orders), the powers of the moving pawn do take effect; thus if you move the Medic, he will remove cubes of a cured disease, and so on. See page 4, Special Orders.

However, in this case, the powers of the moving pawn do not include Mobile Hospital, since Mobile Hospital was played on the Dispatcher and the Dispatcher's pawn is not the moving pawn.

(You can't have it both ways -- both get the powers of the pawn being moved and the powers of the pawn of the player doing the moving; nice try, though! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.