Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im trying to decide which game i should buy. So please feel free to suggest wich is a better game between Memior 44 and BattleLore.

My current favorites are War of the Ring, Middle Earth Quest, StarCraft Board Game, Ticket to Ride, Axis and Allies and Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feel free to browse the multitude of threads that already cover this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you've read this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/256059

EDIT: whoops, didn't mean for that to come out snarky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
Between BattleLore and Memoir `44 I'd definitely have to recommend going with Command & Colors: Ancients.

I do believe Ancients is the best game in the C&C system. If you are going to choose between BL and Memoir, I think it is really a matter of which theme you prefer, fantasy vs. WWII. They are both great games.

Sorry if that isn't much help, but I do believe you should consider Ancients as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Memoir '44.

I think the C&C system is best suited to light, quick games, and M44 is the lightest and quickest. Battlelore has a huge setup time due to a few factors (same-colored figures that look too similar, lore deck, etc.) such that the setup/takedown time can be longer than the game itself.

Neither are terribly accurate simulations of the reality of medieval or WWII battles, but I have much more fun with M44. Despite being an early adopter of Battlelore, I sold off it (and expansions) quite a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

I have now, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're considering either of them, I think you'll be happy either way, but I prefer Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you prefer already, I'd go with Battlelore. You don't look like long set-up time is a problem & you obviously enjoy fantasy... seems like a lock to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and they scratch a different itch. Other peoples recommendations are not paricularly helpful cos you will have your OWN preference. Try both first or go with the theme that appeals to you most. Either way you'll get a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore

I enjoy fantasy themed games and it looks like you do as well.

An earlier poster stated that the set-up time is longer for a variety of reasons one of which is the lore deck. The lore deck is a positive, not a negative, because it adds some depth that M44 lacks.

Also, the new BattleLore Heroes expansion looks pretty nifty and FFG has recently announced a Dragons expansion and a Creatures expansion, so it is an exciting time to be a BattleLore fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games. I'd suggest you decide based on your interest in WWII vs. medieval.

If you're on the fence, my suggestion would be Memoir. Not because Memoir is necessarily a better game, but because some of the better BattleLore expansions (e.g., the Hundred Years War) are currently out of print. I'd suggest giving Fantasy Flight some time to see how they plan to develop the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E K
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir is too simple to play with 2 players. I have memoir 44 and battlelore. Battlelore best at 2 ply, Memoir is best if played 4 or more persons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimbal wrote:
Memoir is too simple to play with 2 players. I have memoir 44 and battlelore. Battlelore best at 2 ply, Memoir is best if played 4 or more persons.

That is merely your opinion, yet you say it as a statement.

IMHO Memoir is a great 1 or 2 person game, though I do like the overlord format best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E K
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Politically correct ???

IMHOMHIMHO I think that in my games that I play in my own house. I am sorry to feel that I think that my thinking might be that I think that ....

"From whos voice I speak if not my own !" - E.K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.