Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The End of the World is Nigh...Space Hulk Passes Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth continue...

laughlaughlaugh

With this new batch of Eurosnoots now released to shill against Space Hulk with a new wave of "1" ratings, does Space Hulk still have it in itself to crack the Top 5?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno.. No's 5 and 6 are separated by a pretty large margin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
/me gets some popcorn laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In bigger top ten news... Looks like Puerto Rico is soon gonna overtake Agricola surprise
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
In bigger top ten news... Looks like Puerto Rico is soon gonna overtake Agricola surprise

Join me and some others on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43575

PR now has less than 4 weeks left to take the # 1 spot - well at least that is what I predicted
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
In bigger top ten news... Looks like Puerto Rico is soon gonna overtake Agricola surprise


Maybe it's just a breath of fresh air or something, but I find this ridiculously more interesting than the Space Hulk stuff.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parsons
United Kingdom
Liverpool Street Station
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Breath of fresh air? Were you on holiday the last time Agricola and Puerto Rico passed in the rankings? You missed all this nonsense?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This should wind a few peoples panties a little tighter. Someone who knows JovenShadowcaster should check he is still with us, he was pretty distressed about this whole space hulk/dominion thing earlier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
Oh my god, I was reading some of the rankings for Space Hulk at the lower end of the scale and besides the fact that newly registered chinese people seem to hate this game, I found this comment here :

---------------

2 player only.

Box is too large for what it is

Miniatures need to be removed from the sprues which has caused damage to more than one set I'm aware of.

Gameplay not signicantly changed from previous editions.

The size issue could have been dealt with by changing out the components. Start with using small wooden cubes (red) for the space marines and grey cubes for the genestealers, because it wouldn't change the game play one iota. Add in the ability for the marines to fish or farm and build extentions to their space hulk and maybe this game would be better.

------------

Please please someone tells me this was sarcasm because I am losing faith in the humanity here. It has to be sarcasm right right?




19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
Breath of fresh air? Were you on holiday the last time Agricola and Puerto Rico passed in the rankings? You missed all this nonsense?


To be honest - yes.

But all this Space Hulk stuff lately (great game by the way) has made BGG feel like I am riding in a Honda Civic with my brothers and we all just went to Taco Bell.

And the windows won't roll down.

Something new for people to freak out about would be a welcome change.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Something new for people to freak out about would be a welcome change.


It wouldn't BE BGG unless people were freaking out over trivial bullshit.
81 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

It wouldn't BE BGG unless people were freaking out over trivial bullshit.


QFT
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
pepe le moko wrote:

2 player only.

Box is too large for what it is

Miniatures need to be removed from the sprues which has caused damage to more than one set I'm aware of.

Gameplay not signicantly changed from previous editions.


These are all, IMHO, very valid comments. Some people don't play 2 player games. Therefore their willingness to play is drastically hurt by only providing a 2 player game.

The box thing, I've done before. With limited shelf space, the size of the box determines whether or not I buy a game. It's really annoying when publishers use huge boxes in an attempt to pretend they aren't selling overpriced air. I don't care if I have to pay $150 for a small box. if it fits, then put it in there, dammit.

The next one is also a valid comment. Would I pay $100 for a game where my pieces are going to break easily. Maybe, maybe not. For this guy, it seems to be no.

And finally the last one. Noting that the ratings are supposed to mean willingness to play. I have no interest in playing SH 3rd Edition. Because I have SH 1st edition here and it works just as well. If I were to rate SH 3rd Edition, (Which I didn't because I don't rate games I haven't played), I would have to take that into account.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:

Please please someone tells me this was sarcasm because I am losing faith in the humanity here. It has to be sarcasm right right?


Of course it is. Facing is incredibly important in this game, you simply can't replace the miniatures with cubes. Maybe chits that have an obvious front and back, but not cubes. He was just jerking your chain.

Personally I find it weird that Dominion gets classed as a Euro because, well... it never really felt like one to me. It's a fixed-deck take on a CCG and works surprisingly well in that role. I'm still not certain that I prefer Space Hulk to it, but it's hard to compare since they're such vastly different games.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that the rankings really don't indicate that a particular game is better than another one, merely that it's more popular.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
pepe le moko wrote:

Box is too large for what it is

The box thing, I've done before. With limited shelf space, the size of the box determines whether or not I buy a game. It's really annoying when publishers use huge boxes in an attempt to pretend they aren't selling overpriced air. I don't care if I have to pay $150 for a small box. if it fits, then put it in there, dammit.

Sure. But have you seen these boxes? They're packed pretty solid. Overpriced air is not part of the equation. If people want to complain that the game is overproduced (which some might argue: you could play the same game with a paper map and counters, after all), they should complain that it's overproduced. Not about the size of box needed to contain all the overproduced pieces.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
someone has has never actually played the game wrote:
Start with using small wooden cubes (red) for the space marines and grey cubes for the genestealers, because it wouldn't change the game play one iota.




Sure, because their is no difference between any of the terminators and their weaponry or rank, shake

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:

And finally the last one. Noting that the ratings are supposed to mean willingness to play. I have no interest in playing SH 3rd Edition. Because I have SH 1st edition here and it works just as well. If I were to rate SH 3rd Edition, (Which I didn't because I don't rate games I haven't played), I would have to take that into account.


This is only a valid concern if you have access to 1st edition. A lot of people don't, hence the desire for a reprint. Since people tended to like the 1st edition rules best this is just a tweaked version of 1st edition. It's really less of a 3rd edition than it is simply a deluxe reprint of 1st edition and should largely be viewed as such.

Rating down a reprint because it's too similar to the original seems incorrect to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob acus
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong. I like Space Hulk (third edition) but I think the way it is moving up the charts shows the flaw in this website's rating system. I generally don't even pay attention to it, because some games are manipulated or padded by votes. I usually look at how many people voted/rated. That gives me a better idea about a game. Just suspect to me that almost ALL the ratings on Space Hulk have been positive. Is SH better than Dominion? Ummmm no. But it should be in the top 25 definately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:
Something new for people to freak out about would be a welcome change.


It wouldn't BE BGG unless people were freaking out over trivial bullshit.


And to play a little Devil's Advocate here, it wouldn't be BGG if there weren't people like me and you to point OUT the fact that people freak out about trivial bullshit.

And if I can also play a little bit of a mediation card here, if people can't freak the hell out about boardgame stuff at a boardgame site, well then where should they do it?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
oh cripes. Im wailing and ganshing my teeth so hard right now
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Belgand wrote:

Rating down a reprint because it's too similar to the original seems incorrect to me.


BGG makes it clear that ratings are a very personal thing based only on willingness to play. It is not a rating based on the quality of the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Rhett Butler: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that if people didn't rate it 1 it wouldn't go up so fast The way the BGG rating works is that it takes into account the number of votes, so even though the vote average goes down the BGG rating goes up.

Here's still waiting for TTA to go up and PG to go down. Still waiting for the new printing of TTA, hopefully that will give it more votes. Also waiting for the deluxe version of TS, it looks like fun. Le Havre has been ordered and I still haven't had the time to complete my SH models but soon I'll own the top 8 games of BGG (Dominion is planned)

Personally I think Puerto Rico is better then Agricola because I feel like playing it more, and that's how games should be rated on BGG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Belgand wrote:

Rating down a reprint because it's too similar to the original seems incorrect to me.


BGG makes it clear that ratings are a very personal thing based only on willingness to play. It is not a rating based on the quality of the game.


True, but your willingness to play is artificially diminished. Basically if someone only had a copy of 3rd edition to play, would you say "No, I only like 1st edition?"

If both 1st and 3rd were available would you tend to prefer one over the other for any particular reason?

I can understand not wanting to buy 3rd edition if your Space Hulk needs are already being met, but I just don't think it's fair to give it a lower rating just because you have access to the original printing when many do not.

It would be like reviewing the paperback printing of a book poorly because you own the hardcover already. Or, perhaps more apt in this case, a book that was originally printed in paperback, but later released in a deluxe hardcover.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like the way that at least one of these idiots justifies rating SH as "broken and unplayable" because it is only a two player game.
So they are admitting that it is playable with two players - as designed - yet claiming that this somehow means that the design is "broken", or that two player games are not really games.

I guess that this dolt has also rated Chess, Go, Mr. Jack, Balloon Cup, most wargames, and everyone's favorite two player "couples games" as broken and unplayable... yet I somehow doubt that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.