FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, my girlfriend brought home a german copy of Fire & Axe (german title: Wikinger - die vergessenen Eroberer) published by Pro Ludo. She told me she bought this game from spieleoffensive, a german webstore for 11 Euros, which I think is quite a bargain.

A. First Impression:

The box is nicely illustrated and made of good qualitiy cardboard. It´s rather large, but not oversize, nor heavyweight.

B. The parts / or "what´s in the box"

First off all, theres a huge load of miniatures: little Vikings, wielding an axe, a boat-miniature for every player, and the miniatures, representing the independant cities (to be raided later arrrh)

Then, there are a lot of little counters (all of them are punched already): cargo, victory points and finally little markers that need to be inserted in the cities, which are representing the "loot" (points made for plundering the cities)

The counters are of good quality and nicely printed, however, I think that the "1" VP counters are a bit too small.

The cargo all share a white background. a dash of color would make it easier to distinguish the cargo from one another.

The Viking miniatures are very well sculpted and they are delivering a very nice look and feel.

In addition to the above, every player gets a cardboard disk, which is representing the cargo hold of his ship, spots for the cargo are marked.

The map is rather large, of good sturdy quality and well printed, the ports are all clearly visible and there is some little player aid printed on it.

The "Saga"- and "Rune" cards.
They have a nice "linen" finish, which I really like. The look and feel is very well. All Saga cards are showing the concerned ports, making it easier for the players to spot the respective places.

The Insert holds all the parts well, but a seperator for the differnt cargoes / Victory point markers would be even better. That can be solved with a few ziplock bags though. The "Rune" and "Saga" cards are placed in a designated space, which holds them well.

C. The Rules.

The germany rules seemed a bit messy. It took us 45 minutes to get through them. During the game itself, we still had to check again a few times. I would recommend, that you print the quick reference sheet from the files section
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/2yv3sb2g3a/Fire... - Thanks to Eddy Bee

D. How the game "feels"

We played one game with a group of four yesterday.
The theme is really appealing and we all had a great time yesterday.

The game itself is a bit luck depending (raiding and colonization) but doesn´t feel awkward beceause of this.

Overall, I like to say that the theme is really sweet and we all had a great time on our first play. We will probably play it again this week....

So long me fellow norseman ! Happy Raiding ! arrrharrrharrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traded this one with an american and got myself another copy.

in course of the trade i translated the cards and put them on the bgg.
very fine game, like the theme, like the graphics and the minis.
and the vikings have no horns! splendid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems to have appeared and gone out of print in the blink of an eye; it was unavailable before I could even get it in the budget.

Any chance/rumors of a reprint? I don't think I'm the only one who missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German version is still on sale at Amazon Germany (11 euros = 16 US dollars).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnijholt wrote:
German version is still on sale at Amazon Germany (11 euros = 16 US dollars).

Or check the Spieleoffensive webstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Renard
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group used the extra Rune cards found on the BGG file section. We found that this made the game even more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Barry Kendall wrote:
This game seems to have appeared and gone out of print in the blink of an eye; it was unavailable before I could even get it in the budget.

Any chance/rumors of a reprint? I don't think I'm the only one who missed it.

No idea why it went out of print so fast. It's a beautiful game.

You should buy mine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this for the first time last night. I had a blast, and happened to win. :) I'll definitely play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.