Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in an earlier discussion about CWEx the Confederate player has the opportunity to manipulate the event card system during the Fall 1864 turn:

Quote:
There is a design challenge involved in the Fall 1864 turn sequence... perhaps you Geeks can offer some suggestions. If the Union player does not see all of the "Lincoln's War" cards on the board after the Confederate player draws his or her event card for the Fall 1864 the Rebels know that the Yankees can't continue the game into 1865. This allows a sneaky Confederate to make "kamikaze" attacks and other risky moves that the Rebels might not make if the Federals had all four cards.

This situation may reflect an error I made during the design process.

This new Sherman, Sheridan, and Honest Abe rule might reduce the possibility of sneaky Rebel moves in 1864. While the rule is considered experimental I would like to ask the playtest groups to implement it immediately. We need to get some feedback on this change right away.

I will present the rule first and then offer some historical background.

Rule 27: Sherman, Sheridan, and Honest Abe

This rule is only used if all four "Lincoln’s War" cards have not appeared after the Confederate player draws his or her final event card during the Fall 1864 turn. If all four "Lincoln’s War" have not been revealed the Union player will be awarded two extra command points in a special initiative phase at the end of the Confederate player’s turn.

After the Confederate player has finished expending his or her command points the Union player may use these two additional command points for movement or an attack. These points may not be used for Politics & Propaganda die rolls.

Historical Background

Based on our knowledge of Lincoln’s summer 1864 memorandum we can assume that Lincoln would have worked diligently to urge the Union commanders forward right up to Election Day. The fact that two of the three main the Federal armies were in winning positions during the election season removed that urgency from Lincoln’s agenda, although the president was still fretful.

In other words, if Sherman and Sheridan were not in advantageous positions the president would have been badgering Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan to move forward or attack the way Lincoln badgered Thomas at Nashville in December of 1864... after the election!

Sherman got himself off the hook by taking Atlanta. Even after his victories in the Shenandoah Valley campaign Sheridan was still being pressured by the President. In fact, Sheridan was away from his army during the opening stages of the battle of Cedar Creek (where the diminutive general made "Sheridan’s Ride" to the battlefield) because he had been required to attend a strategy conference in Washington.

The idea that a politician as ruthless and cunning as Honest Abe would sit wringing his hands during the last week or two before the election certainly won’t survive much scrutiny, and I think this gives the underpaid and overworked game designer a rationale for a rule change.

Please try the new rule. Comments and suggestions are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggested Rule Change: Sherman, Sheridan, and Honest Abe
pete belli wrote:

Rule 27: Sherman, Sheridan, and Honest Abe

This rule is only used if all four "Lincoln’s War" cards have not appeared after the Confederate player draws his or her final event card during the Fall 1864 turn. If all four "Lincoln’s War" have not been revealed the Union player will be awarded two extra command points in a special initiative phase at the end of the Confederate player’s turn.

After the Confederate player has finished expending his or her command points the Union player may use these two additional command points for movement or an attack. These points may not be used for Politics & Propaganda die rolls.

It seems a good idea, indeed! I will use it next time (if needed) and let you know how it worked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This rule may or may not be a good idea but I have decided that I do not like the use of the names "Sherman" and/or "Sheridan" in the title.

This assumes some kind of cosmic predestination would place Sherman and/or Sheridan in these crucial positions during the Fall 1864 turn. That concept is obviously unacceptable.

Sherman could have been killed, seriously wounded, relieved, or sent to a secondary theater at any time between 1861 and 1864. Many decision makers in the Union high command were opposed to the promotion of Sheridan to lead an army (some because they thought he was too young) so the idea that "Little Phil" should automatically be part of the Federal triumverate in 1864 is not historically sound.

Maybe Lincoln's Last Hurrah or Lincoln's Last Gamble or Never Call Retreat might work.

Suggestions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No comment on the rule itself until I try it, but as far as the names go, "Never Call Retreat" is *by far* the best choice.

IMO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "Lincoln's Last Gamble" and "Last Full Measure" as it represents the feeling of the rule IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest that every playtester try this "Never Call Retreat" rule. Please. It adds something to the endgame that was missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.