Popular Tags: [View All]
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, I'm a morning coffee guy. I don't claim to be the expert on coffee. I have simple coffee tastes.

The problem with office coffee is two-fold.

1) Too much water. I don't know which good Samaritan goes out of their way to make the coffee. It's a very important job to be sure. However, the pot should not be filled to the brim when it is finished brewing.

2) Not enough grounds. To exacerbate problem numero uno, there just aren't enough grounds in each pre-measured packet. There used to be, then the company switched brands. Perhaps to save money. This backfired (at least when I make coffee), because I'll use two packs to get the coffee up to snuff.

What this means for me is a cup of coffee that I can see straight to the bottom of. That's right. I can clearly see the bottom of my cup. It's got no kick, it's got weak flavor. It's trash.

All of this wouldn't be that big of a deal if it weren't for the fact that said good Samaritan insists on monopolizing the office coffee making capacity and brews four identical pots of coffee in the morning. I have to wait at least an hour before it all disappears and I can sneak in and make a good pot. And sometimes, I'm too slow and someone has already remade a poor quality pot of coffee. Woe is me.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words: French Press

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

I don't think there's room in the company budget, but I'll forward your suggestion to the Director of the department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain! I worked at an office where we had to all chip in for the coffee, but it was managed by someone who wasn't a coffee drinker.

I learned after a few weeks of awful coffee that she would save the leftover coffee from the previous day and reheat it. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have an extra outlet at your desk/cubicle/cell?

If so, invest in a one cup coffee maker, not the best coffee but you'll have it whenever you want.

Or get a letter opener.

Up to you.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I feel your pain! I worked at an office where we had to all chip in for the coffee, but it was managed by someone who wasn't a coffee drinker.

I learned after a few weeks of awful coffee that she would save the leftover coffee from the previous day and reheat it. gulp

Man. Wow. Ug.

I only drink the OfficeSwill(tm) if I absolutely have to. I make good coffee in the morning for my wife and I (she drinks more than I do - I only need one cup).

Most people I know are bean dippers and don't like the strong stuff we make.

But, wow, see through coffee. That's awful.

Nice surprising note. Starbucks makes an instant coffee in single serving packs. Toss some in a bottle of water and shake. It's actually quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

If so, invest in a one cup coffee maker, not the best coffee but you'll have it whenever you want.

Or get a letter opener.

Up to you.

-DK

Fire code precludes that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

Or get a letter opener.

Up to you.

-DK

What, the letter opener? hmm...

That's just weird.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

I don't think there's room in the company budget, but I'll forward your suggestion to the Director of the department.

No silly...you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

Or get a letter opener.

Up to you.

-DK

It's been said once, but I'll just have to stress it: French press.

You can often find them in thrift stores for under $5, or ask around... everyone seems to have one of these tucked away somewhere.

Best of all, they do not require electricity, just coffee and hot water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Nice surprising note. Starbucks makes an instant coffee in single serving packs. Toss some in a bottle of water and shake. It's actually quite good.

Hmm...I'll have to look into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Progmode wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

No silly...you buy it.

Oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
It's been said once, but I'll just have to stress it: French press.

You can often find them in thrift stores for under $5, or ask around... everyone seems to have one of these tucked away somewhere.

Best of all, they do not require electricity, just coffee and hot water.

Alright, let me ask this then, what do you do for coffee? Grind your own beans at home, buy a can o' coffee, use that wacky grinder at the grocery store? What works best in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you had something you could add to the coffee - just as a colorizing agent, mind you - maybe that would help.

I recommend:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coffee made with a French press is thick and strong. When grinding, you want to make sure you use the coarsest setting... you do not want fine grains when using one since the filter is a metal screen.

You'll be fine if you grind the coffee at the supermarket or home, or even buying pre-ground coffee. Fresh ground coffee is always nice, but considering where you are at right now (you can really see to the bottom of your cup???), we won't get too picky.

The most important thing is to just get coffee you like. If Starbucks is your thing, then that's fine. Just take care not to overbrew the coffee as it'll get bitter.

The biggest pain with French presses is cleaning them, but if you have a garbage disposal in the sink at work, you'll be OK.

Oh, and one more thing. Although the press isn't heated, the coffee should stay hot enough until you finish it. If not, just get a thermos to keep it hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
(you can really see to the bottom of your cup???)

Yes.

The lighting is bad, and the picture is from my phone, and this cup o' coffee was from a pot that had been sitting for a while, but you can still see to the bottom if you follow the stirrer. The black triangle on the lower right is the reflection of the phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
kvn299 wrote:
(you can really see to the bottom of your cup???)

Yes.

The lighting is bad, and the picture is from my phone, and this cup o' coffee was from a pot that had been sitting for a while, but you can still see to the bottom if you follow the stirrer. The black triangle on the lower right is the reflection of the phone.

Is that the flukeworm man I see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst thing about my working coffe is very simple:

1. It's like making love in a canoe!
2. If I used my socks to filter it it would have more taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:

All of this wouldn't be that big of a deal if it weren't for the fact that said good Samaritan insists on monopolizing the office coffee making capacity and brews four identical pots of coffee in the morning. I have to wait at least an hour before it all disappears and I can sneak in and make a good pot. And sometimes, I'm too slow and someone has already remade a poor quality pot of coffee. Woe is me.

So just dump out the least-full pot and make a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Progmode wrote:

I have done this exact thing hundreds of times over the years. Screw buying a French Press or any other thing that costs you money and resources. Make a good pot, pour a huge cup and post another cell phone picture here so we know you've taken control of the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Progmode wrote:

A good idea to be sure, and one I've executed on occassion. The problem (in my mind) is that my work day starts an hour before the majority of the office. The least-full is often mostly full due to a shortage of coffee drinkers that early. And I hate to waste things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

A good idea to be sure, and one I've executed on occassion. The problem (in my mind) is that my work day starts an hour before the majority of the office. The least-full is often mostly full due to a shortage of coffee drinkers that early. And I hate to waste things.

Throwing out a pot of coffee that you can see through is not waste. It is a service to humankind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.