JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Monday. The first Monday in a couple weeks that I'm not completely sick, so a definite improvement! But being Monday, it also means the end of our weekend gaming goodness, so what are we left to do? How about discuss all the great games we got to play over the weekend?

Friday we hung out at my wife's sisters house, because their brother and his wife were in town, and she had invited over another couple, and their younger brother and another friend as well. So we brought along a few games. We started off with a game of Wits & Wagers, which we had just tried recently up at a friends house. It went really well. We ended up breaking up into couples, and there was a lot of great back and forth with the betting.
Next, Jackie (the sister) wanted to try out a new game she had just picked up, called Things.... I offered to read off all of the topics, and the "answers" because I could tell from reading the rules that it wasn't really my sort of game. There was quite a bit of fun table talk, but it went on way too long, overall: Meh.
Then we very grudgingly talked everyone into playing Werewolf. It was a tough sell, and a couple of the people said they rather hang out in the living room and watch "America's funniest videos", but the few of us who had played before goaded them into trying it out.
It went over like a house on fire. Everyone got immediately into it! Jamie's sister even pulled the wool over my eyes once (because a couple people really wanted to try out moderating badly, so I played in a few rounds). Uncannily, it seemed that the seer or the body guard got picked off the first round every single time, but it was still very very fun! We played until like 1am or so, and got in about 10 rounds all together. Requests were made for it to be played at the Halloween party.

Saturday was our first Christmas of the year. My wife's Grandparents migrate in a few weeks, so her dad's side of the family gets together for Christmas around this time of year every year. It is kind of nice having them spaced out, as huge as Jamie's family is. Usually that side of the family doesn't play games, but we brought a few along just in case. Before lunch, we played a small game of Bohnanza, and a couple people came and went and asked questions, then we had lunch and did presents.
Afterward, the games came out, and almost everyone wanted to play! It was awesome! We were just going to play a game of Bohnanza, but we ended up having to split up so my wife could teach Bohnanza, and I could teach Dice Town. We played two games of that in a row, while they finished up one long game of Bohnanza. Pretty much everyone wanted to play bohnanza again, so I got a group together to play some Wits and Wagers while they bean'd it up again. We played 3 games of Wits and Wagers, before people started getting tired and heading home. Jamie's younger brother was begging to play Werewolf, but the older adults weren't interested, and we couldn't drum up a decent sized group, so we opted for Bang!. We finished that up, and it was time to retire and get our kids put to bed.

Sunday we cleaned, and I had to make another batch of salsa and use up all the left over stuff from making the batch for Christmas. Then after all that crap was done, we got in some gaming. We invited Jamie's younger brother and his girlfriend over, but they had other plans, so we played a game of Bohnanza, then some Carcassonne. Then her brother called and said their other plans didn't pan out, and asked if we still wanted to hang out, so we said sure, and planned on having Taco's with fresh salsa and playing some more games. They got over, and we played Ingenious. Then we made supper. After supper we broke out Bang!, which my wife won as sheriff. We finished off the night with Dice Town. As an aside, I replaced the money in Dice Town with Poker Chips, and it's a much better fit. It is nice being able to see how much money someone is sitting on.

So that was it for me. Quite a bit of gaming. Now I need to just get through this darn work week, as I plan on heading up to the game group this weekend, probably Friday night with my wife's younger brother, and then hopefully again Saturday for the event day.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Friday I taught a co-worker Archaeology: The Card Game during lunch. We got done, and she said, "Let's do that again!" We ended up playing 3 times. Last night LD and I played Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Endeavor and Tichu on Friday night.

I liked Endeavor. It wasn't all that original, but it was a nice mix of mechanics that really work well.

We taught Joey how to play Tichu for the first time, he seemed to pick it up well. I've been playing it for many years, and I haven't picked it up as well!

I felt bad for not inviting Ed and Susan this week, as they are going through flu in the home, and with the Babby, am a little over cautious. But still feel bad.

Players for Friday were:

If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb

Jon Grimm
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I had my kids over, Friday night was a quick game of

Pyramid of Pengqueen before bed (although my son was very interested in the part painted Genestealers from Space Hulk (third edition) sitting on the Shelf ... worrying my daughter thought they looked 'cute', a new paint scheme might be in order!)

Saturday my son was up early so we played some Magic: The Gathering, the new Planechase casual sets, which are great for casual games - even with the same decks the games rarely turn out the same way twice as the effects of the planechase cards are so dramatic.

Then my daughter was up, so we had a game of Return of the Heroes,

as my daughter has just got into the whole adventure type game thing.

Later we played Prophecy

before I was thrashed at Wii Sports before bed - I'm getting to old for console games, reaction time is appalling ...

Sunday, more Prophecy

and then a couple of games of The New Dungeon!

continuing the adventure theme for the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
My wife and I just learned Dominion. We played a few rounds of that. She beat me every game but one. That game she got too action heavy, and was chaining many cards but without enough money to buy anything. So, she lost that one, but she soon learnt her error, and I get the feeling that I'll rarely win this game in future. It's still fun though. (Yes, she's the game player. I'm the one who prefers the easier games.)

*edit for typos and clarity.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First we played a card game called Relikt

This is a card game based on taking good treasures and avoiding cursed treasures and playing action cards. It's a neat little game with a lot of player interaction.

Next was Doge

This is a very interesting and obscure game that is under appreciated.

It has blind bidding and area control. Lots of subtle stuff going on and I believe will require a few playings to get strategy down.

Finally finished up with Dominion

The less said the better, I am not a fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
On Friday I played a game of Ra with some people in my D&D group before we played D&D.

Saturday was depressingly gaming free. Though I did play against the Race For the Galaxy AI quite a bit.

Sunday I played two games of Command & Colors: Ancients against my girlfriend. She trounced me both times. Accursed Julius Ceaser! After that a board gaming friend of mine, Don, came over and we first played Le Havre, which I won by about 100 points, and then Reef Encounter which he won by about three.

So overall it wasn't a poor amount of gaming, but it was not great either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor
Dominion/Dominion: Intrigue x3
Court of the Medici x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game of Kahmaté, an excellent two player game based on rugby. Kahmaté replaces StreetSoccer as my favourite sports related game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
On my normal Saturday afternoon of gaming I played a quick game of Mag·Blast (Third Edition) before diving into a couple of sessions of Chaos in the Old World. This puts my plays at 8 for CitOW so now I feel comfortable in reviewing it. Hopefully later this week.

CitOW is a fantastic game - try it out if you haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Fun weekend.

I took a scenario out of Rome At War III: Queen of the Celts and adopted it to a three player game, to see if we could. Two warring Britons vs. a Roman supply convoy. It was looking like a Roman win for the first two turns, then dissolved into a free for all that permitted one British player to win with the move victory points!

Then we went on to two games of Colossal Arena, one of which I won!

Then a game of Girl Genius: The Works, which I lost handily.

Sunday, I broke out the game I got for my birthday from the group, The End of the Triumvirate. I started to play the 2 player game solo and realized that it's not a great 2 player game -- too back and forth. But it will rock as a 3 player game!!!

I took the day off today and look forward to mailing out prize games to anyones who've won them in the various contests that I'm in or running right now. I only await the mail. Mazzame, I'm waiting for your geekmail!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Friday night:

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm 5x
Age of Steam 1x
Agricola 1x

Saturday:

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm 2x
Agricola 2x

Sunday:

Agricola 1x

I really don't like Agricola that much, but my wife loves it, so I agree to play it with her all the time... which makes me dislike it even more. However, since i started mixing the decks, the game has been more interesting since there are a LOT better card combos available. Picking out the synergistic cards constitutes about 90% of the game's fun for me... the actual family upkeep is too procedural and overwhelming for me to enjoy.

In my game Sunday, I had Stone Tongs, The Renovator, The Chief, and another minor improvement that let me build one stone room for 4 stone and 1 reed. At the end of the game, I had 6 stone rooms for a whopping 18 points =)

And, in a rare turn of events, I actually won all 4 games of Agricola. My wife usually beats me at this game, so a 4 game win streak is pretty special. Over the 4 games, my average score was a 51.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
David, have you been playing Race with your wife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion x6

Plus took some turns in PBEM games of Amun-Re, Stone Age, Fearsome Floors, and Hacienda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy x1
Kreta x1
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects x1
Ticket to Ride x2

Not a bad weekend I must say.

I think I finally got my friends convinced that a weekend of gaming is better than anything else cause we can be social while not just sitting around watching TV like brainless zombies. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I got to play several games for the first time.

Glory to Rome took a bit to get used to, but was quite a bit of fun. I find I enjoy games where cards have overloaded roles within the game: resources, actions, VPs, etc.

Ad Astra was different than expected. I hadn't read through the reviews and had thought the game was more of a 4X type of game. Still, it was very satisfying and approachable.

Endeavor was also different than expected. At first, I had thought the game was going to be more about exploring rather than scoring. About half way through the game, I got into the flow of the mechanics and discovered why it is so well liked.

Although I lost all three games, they all were quite a bit of fun! Thanks to Mojo Shivers for teaching all of them to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxidyne wrote:

Endeavor was also different than expected. At first, I had thought the game was going to be more about exploring rather than scoring. About half way through the game, I got into the flow of the mechanics and discovered why it is so well liked.

Yeah, it took us till about half way through the game to realize the flow as well, and once we did, we thought, very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
My First Carcassonne x 3 - it's my three year old son's favorite game. Didn't have time to squeeze in anything else, though Ticket to Ride was discussed on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to Recruits this weekend.

Played 2 games of The Stars Are Right, 1 game of Revolution!, 2 games of Pandemic (one base game and one with Pandemic: On the Brink), and 2 games of Frag (one regular, one Zombie version.)

My W/L ratio was pretty good. I won both The Stars Are Right, we won the second Pandemic by the skin of our teeth, and one session of Frag. Not only that but I avoided food poisoning, unlike my friend Dave, and I avoided a migraine unlike my friend Andy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday evening, played:
Bombay x1
Zooloretto x1
Dominion: Intrigue x4
No gaming was done on Saturday or Sunday. (Well I played a bunch of games on the computer at genie.game-host.org and yucata.de)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
And avatars as well!
badge
Move along, folks, show's over....
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in a few games over the weekend:

Friday 9/25:

Scripts & Scribes
Finca
Little Italy
Fairy Tale

Saturday 9/26:

Finca
Burgenland

I really enjoy Scripts & Scribes. I had only played 1 2-player game previously and the game Friday was with 3. Finca is one of my GF's favorites, so it got 2 plays over the weekend. Fairy Tale is another simple card game I just love. I try to bring it out at every game night we have. Burgenland was a solitaire "learning" game. Fun weekend of gaming, all in all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
doubtofbuddha wrote:
David, have you been playing Race with your wife?

hah, i wish. all of my race plays have been against the AI. ive been trying to get her to play against the AI but she has no desire to. and i wont buy the game until i know that she will actually play it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, okay! I've play it a lot agains the AI, but have avoided recording my plays of it so far. I think I am up to a hundred or so. Its kind of an addiction. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played three games of Scrabble. I'm notorious with my husband and our gaming buddy for winning, but having lost recently, they wanted to see if I was still beatable.

I won the first two games, then barely lost the third.

My husband got in a game of Candyland with our youngest daughter. She noticed that the dreaded black dots are only on spaces that are primary colors. We swear she'll be a scientist someday, as she's a keen observer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played some games with my wife:
2 player Bohnanza
Balloon Cup
The Perfect 10 which isn't half bad trivia game...well, for a trivia game.

On Sunday played vanilla Galaxy Trucker w/o expansions. Still introducing the game. I had 25 pieces blown off my IIIA ship but still arrived. Lost the game badly. I guess the introduction is over.

EDIT: posted the wrong Bohnanza at first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.