Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of 1856 yesterday, and having played a little 18AL things went pretty smoothly. What I noticed as being most difficult was keeping up with various adminstrating elements such as tracking the amount of shares tied-up in escrow or tracking what train was available when Company X began (so as to know when it could finally operate.) I've looked in the Files section here and have printed several of the documents (and tipped GG thankyouverymuch) but I've not seen any sort of administrative aids.

So I'd be quite keen to hear how more experienced players handle these sorts of General Administration chores in a game that is already large and complex.

And thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shares in escrow is easy: whoever owns a company will ask for money when he destinates, and you can just count the number of shares left in the IO to figure out how much he gets.

It's also generally a terrible idea to start buying shares in a company that isn't going to float in the current stock round, so experienced players don't have to keep track of it. Note that a company operates when, on it's turn, it's sold the same number of shares as the train that is currently available, so it only matters for financing.

Any other queries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have to agree with Devin.

The real record keeping involves dealing with the loans. You can't take more loans than shares, so you need to keep that in mind when you take loans or when your shares are sold. Also there aren't enough loan chits and it gets hard to visually keep track of the loans when you have 6+ of them. We use dice to solve that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, in our three player not that many loans were taken out, and the CGR didn't even come close to forming.

Is it unusual for this to happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LennyS wrote:
Interestingly, in our three player not that many loans were taken out, and the CGR didn't even come close to forming.

Is it unusual for this to happen?

With good players, yes. With good players the CGR will almost always form. The only real questions are exactly when and what companies will fold into it (or not). This is why the SR before the CGR formation tends to be the longest and most brutal portion of the game. I've heard of 2.5 hour pre-CGR SRs. In our last play of 1856 the pre-CGR-formation SR easily took more than 1.5 hours as the players danced around exactly when and how the CGR would form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With good players, yes. With good players the CGR will almost always form.

In my quest to understand this game better, can you elaborate on the "why" of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
LennyS wrote:
Quote:
With good players, yes. With good players the CGR will almost always form.

In my quest to understand this game better, can you elaborate on the "why" of this?

The winner of 18xx is the person with the most $$$, not the owner of the 'best' company. We run our first companies to maximise our short-term gain. We take out loans to buy privates, trains and build track and lay tokens. There isn't any risk of doing this since the company will go into the Gov and we'll get valuable shares of stock in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The general pattern in 1856 is simple:

1) Take a loan every single time you can and then spend that money to make you yet more money

2) Throw your first and possibly your second company into the CGR. With rare exception, don't even bother to think about trying to save them.

3) At least one player will be royally screwed when the CGR forms and will have lost the game right then and there. Be careful and work hard to not be that player.

With extremely rare exception, deviating from that pattern means that you will lose to the players who do follow that pattern. It is that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.