Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I would like to say this is my first time posting anything to this website although I have been visiting for over a year.
I am unsure on the exact workings of field promotions so I will give ya'll way too much info. I have Russian 9-2, 8-1, and 2 4-4-7's in Melee with a German 8-3-8. The German player is the attacker. The Russian leader are attacking each with a different squad but are combing the roll into 1 on 1 odds down 2 and the german squad is attacking the 9-2, 4-4-7 at 3 to 2 odds. The german rolls a 6 which is a possible casualty reduction and the Russian stack rolls an Original DR of 2. This is where I get stuck I am unsure if the Russian squads are eligiable for field promotion if attacking with leaders. I rolled out two different outcomes
1.) No field promotion is allowed, and the resulting random selection chooses the 9-2 which then fails his would dr.
2.) Field promotion occurs and the squad that is stacked with the 9-2 is selceted via Random selection and the final DR for field promotion results in the creation of a 7-0 leader, thus changing the German result to noeffect as the odds are now 1 on 1.
I just want to know which outcome is correct as it has a significant effect on the game.
Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
NRBH, but I'm pretty sure that simply having a leader present in the same location does not prevent field promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Leaders do not prevent field promotion. But Field promotion occurs of an original 2 DR not a final 2 DR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. It was an original DR of 2 and it has been duly changed in my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Here's the rule from chapter A (emphasis added):

18.12 CCPh: Anytime a MMC attacking in CC rolls an Original 2 DR, the player makes an immediate dr on the Leader Creation Table. If this results in the creation of a leader, that leader must add his leadership to the Original 2 CC DR that created him (even if the modifier is a +I), and possibly changing its odds due to his one Inherent FP. Unless one or both sides Withdraw due to Infiltration (11.22), both attacks are re-figured using both of the originally-rolled Original DRs and the new leader's FP/ Leadership just as if he had been there all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believer there is any Random Selection. It doesn't matter which squad created the leader in this case. It is just created. The rule does not mention RS, so it should not be used. (In other words, you couldn't have created 2 leaders.)

In this case I suppose you would decide which squad the new leader is defending with after he is created.

I think your #2 is correct minus the Random Selection plus allowing you to dictate which squad the new leader is defending with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Here's the rule from chapter A (emphasis added):

18.12 CCPh: Anytime a MMC attacking in CC rolls an Original 2 DR, [/b]

The point is that the rule above does NOT qualify the MMC above by inserting "not stacked with a leader" between "MMC" and "attacking ... "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
I don't believer there is any Random Selection. It doesn't matter which squad created the leader in this case. It is just created. The rule does not mention RS, so it should not be used. (In other words, you couldn't have created 2 leaders.)

In this case I suppose you would decide which squad the new leader is defending with after he is created.

I think your #2 is correct minus the Random Selection plus allowing you to dictate which squad the new leader is defending with.

I agree with Jeff's basic point (you assign the leader to the MMC with which you wish it to defend) but another issue popped into my head: what if you had a 458 and a 447 instead of two 447s? The morale of the 'spawning' unit contributes a drm to the Leader Creation die roll if it's 8 or better (or 6 or less), so it matters if the base unit is the Elite unit or the 1st Liner. I suggest in this case you would randomly determine the morale of the originator, with no possibility of multiple new leaders. That's just a a guess, and I have nothing from the ASLRB to substantiate it.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jrtracy wrote:

I agree with Jeff's basic point (you assign the leader to the MMC with which you wish it to defend) but another issue popped into my head: what if you had a 458 and a 447 instead of two 447s?

JR

There is a rule for this also:

A18.2 ...If more than one type of MMC made the CC attack which created the leader, the MMC with the highest BPV involved is used to determine any Leader Creation drm; if necessary, use Random Selection to determine which MMC that leader defends with. ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Eric - crystal clear. Looks like that answers the OP's original question too.

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.