Chaos in the Old World» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Two Terrific Sessions, One Awesome Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After weeks of owning this game and having no opportunities to play, I finally got a chance to play this last weekend. Twice, actually. And both games were remarkable. I played with three others that, like me, had never played CitOW before, but had a lot of gaming experience.

Game 1:
Khorne = Amy
Nurgle = Me
Tzeentch = Joe
Slaanesh = Scott

After a shaky first turn for all of us due to lack of experience (only two of us turned our dials), we all settled into the game well. Amy realized quickly that by spreading her Bloodletters out, she could maximize her killing. She tended to focus particularly on me (she kept me honest in The Empire) and Joe, who had been very busy and initially uncontested on the southern regions of the map. The dials began to turn quickly for Joe and Amy, as Joe got the double turn in both the first and last (6th) turns, and Amy got the double turn in almost all the others. Scott and I seemed to get pretty bogged down, with Heroes and Dark Elf Corsairs slaughtering his forces and me being unable to get by Amy in The Empire, forcing me to consolidate in Kislev. However, late game ruinations that I forced myself to be a part of got me some serious late game VPs.

The game resulted in a win for Joe as Tzeentch through the dial, breaking a tie with Amy (also reaching dial victory) by having more VPs. I had the most VPs at 55, but got trumped by the dials of Amy and Joe. Scott had 49 VPs at game end. All 5 of the ruination cards were out on the last turn, so the game was over one way or another.

Game 2:
Khorne = Scott
Nurgle = Joe
Tzeentch = Amy
Slaanesh = Me

Game 2 ran much smoother than Game 1. We all were able to learn from our own mistakes and the mistakes of others in the first game. I got lucky from the Old World cards right away when two more nobles and two heroes got dropped on the board. Having been chased out of Bretonnia by Scott, I concentrated my corruption in both Estalia with Joe and The Empire, with Scott chasing me down in there because he, too, had begun corrupting that region. It turned into quite a showdown in The Empire, with both of us summoning our greater demons and some warriors into the region. Having the cultist upgrade for Slaanesh is HUGE, allowing me to concentrate all of my cultists in the region to get the lion's share of the corruption tokens (and two turns with of Domination). Meanwhile, Amy was left to her own devices in Kislev and Troll Country, and Joe, after getting the primary points for ruining Estalia, was concentrating on Tilea and on kicking Amy out of the Border Princes.

On the last turn, Amy was two ticks away from victory, thus drawing a lot of unwanted attention to herself. We succeeded in preventing her from getting both ticks, and I was able to share in another ruination with Joe. At game end, nobody had reached dial victory (though Amy was one away). I won with 57 VPs, Joe a close second with 53, and Scott had VPs in the low to mid 40s.

Both games were excellent. What struck me about the game was how close all of the games were. There were no runaway victories at any point. Even in the first game, when I thought for sure I was not even close to winning, I was amazed because had Joe and Amy not hit dial victory, I would have won. I think this is one of the biggest strengths of the game, in that the strategies for all four powers are not only different, but are very versatile to allow all of the players a good shot at winning under any circumstance.

What a terrific game! I can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good write up, I can't wait to get my next game in myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.