Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked for a mining company that went bust because of the recession, when the metal prices tanked. But after I left I got an idea for a game mechanic. One big thing that we always lamented at the mine was that we started production too late, the metal prices had peaked before we went from exploring to production.

My idea is a game based on exploring minerals underground, maybe a 2D cross section of the ground with a tile laying aspect to explore the minerals. There could be metal price cards to flip over to randomly determine the metal prices or else a track with pre-set prices that fluctuate. It would be free to explore but you can't start making money until you become a production company and start extracting ore. But at that point exploring would cost money.

Any feedback ideas???

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea was done well in "Explorium: A high stakes mining extravaganza"... sorry; where I am, I can not link to games (firewall). The game was beautiful but I don't think that it really did great. I don't know if it was lack of advertising or lack of interest in the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I see that, Explorium, I didn't know about that one. I will have to do it differently somehow. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Full Metal Planète has a space mining theme, but I'm not sure it fits your criteria!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one to look at for ideas is 2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, it's a fantasy theme, but check out:

Dwarven Dig!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
and let's not forget Belter: Mining the Asteroids, 2076

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a similar vein (pun intended) you might want to consider Giganten, an oil exploration and delivery game with a variable market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man! there are a lot more mining games out there than I knew about. Thanks for the info.

How do you game designers cope with the fact that so many themes and mechanics have been done already??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Mithril Miners was a product of a pnp challenge this year.

I think you should think about your idea. Never mind that people have done mining themes before. Since you worked in the industry, you know where the challenges are. Avoiding those can be part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:
I worked for a mining company that went bust because of the recession, when the metal prices tanked. But after I left I got an idea for a game mechanic. One big thing that we always lamented at the mine was that we started production too late, the metal prices had peaked before we went from exploring to production.

My idea is a game based on exploring minerals underground, maybe a 2D cross section of the ground with a tile laying aspect to explore the minerals. There could be metal price cards to flip over to randomly determine the metal prices or else a track with pre-set prices that fluctuate. It would be free to explore but you can't start making money until you become a production company and start extracting ore. But at that point exploring would cost money.

Any feedback ideas???

Thanks!

How about Cavum or Valdora?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the "Simpsons-Did-It" issue - There are so many designers/companies/games/mechanics out there that you would be truly hard-pressed to design anything truly original anymore.

But a game is not measured by a single factor but by the sum of it's parts - Changing one detail along the design stage could radically alter the feel and playing style of a game into something different enough from existing models.

My advice; keep at it. Even if you only design the game to get a feel for the entire process and to work out your own style it is worth doing.

I like the concept; reminds me very much of an old arcade game "Dig-Dug" (Or something to that effect).

Perhaps what you could do is make the game a four-way event with a square board where you randomly place the tiles in the appropriate spaces provided. This means that players can come into direct competition for resources or might take advantage of other player's tunnels to reach new places faster.

Just my two cent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement, I plan on going ahead with something. Probably more from the geology and exploring angle than the mining tycoon approach.

I like the idea of square tiles, one because they don't seem to have been done by the other games mentioned and also because they are easier to cut out than hex tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freya's Folly also has a mining theme.

Also the soon to be re-released Tinners' Trail

Sutter's Mill is set in an old west mining town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.