United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I've decided that I want to put to BGG one of the biggest questions we've ever had: What is the ugliest car in the world? I know there are a lot of contenders for the title, and I want to give every craptastic hunk of aborted automotive art an equal chance. So, post your nominations in here!

Please note this is the UGLIEST car, not the worst, or the slowest, or the cheapest...the UGLIEST! No holds will be barred. In fact, I have several of my personal favorite cars in the starting lineup, so don't think inclusion into the starting bracket means it's a bad car. Just an ugly one.

Eligible cars are cars, light trucks, vans, minivans, SUVs and other non-commercial vehicles that were in regular production. No one-offs, customs, ugly concepts, or strange/ugly commercial vehicles.

When you post yours in a reply to this thread, Please include a picture!

Now, the starters, in no particular order:

[Any year]Citroen 2CV

2001 Pontiac Aztek:

1975 AMC Pacer:

1977 AMC Gremlin:

1958 Edsel Citation/Ranger/Pacer:

2004 Scion xB:

2009 Scion xB:

2003 Lexus ES300:

[Any] Tatra 603:

2009 Nissan Cube:

2001 Ford Focus:

2008 Rolls Royce Phantom:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the cube, what a travesty to aesthetics. It looks like it's driving sideways to me on the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Hummers that were sold to civilians were B*TT UGLY!!! (Can't find a pic) AWFUL. Mystery Bob's reaction: drool. I think it was just 'cuz it was a $60,000 car (back then!) gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had to rent an HHR once... yeah, a PT Cruiser knockoff was a good idea... anyway, I surmise that this one is a custom job, but it certainly answers a question that should not have been asked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
[Any] Uno Mille

First Generation Ford Ka

[1990]Gurgel Tocatins TL

[1989 - 1991]Gurgel BR 800
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
The first Hummers that were sold to civilians were B*TT UGLY!!! (Can't find a pic) AWFUL. Mystery Bob's reaction: drool. I think it was just 'cuz it was a $60,000 car (back then!) gulp

The first hummers were cribbed right from the military-spec, which is probably why Mystery Bob wanted one: they are indestructible and it's impossible to get one stuck; it has actual off-road merits. However, ugly they are, despite their merits, so I'm going to add the H1 and the even more hideous H2.

Oh, and yeah, I don't get the concept of wanting a car just because it's expensive

[Any Year] Hummer H1:

[Any year] Hummer H2:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
We had to rent an HHR once... yeah, a PT Cruiser knockoff was a good idea... anyway, I surmise that this one is a custom job, but it certainly answers a question that should not have been asked...

I like the HHR, and that one in particular. I guess that makes me weird.

The HHR, actually, despite being several years LATE to the PT Cruiser party, is roomier, and just better overall than the Chrysler product. Between the two, I'd buy the HHR in an instant, and I'm a Ford guy.

Please note above: No Customs! But i'll add the HHR to the list, along with a production-spec photo.

2009 Chevy HHR:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the Citroen, the Rolls and the Focus look nice. The Lexus just looks average to me.

But, I would like to nominate my personal "emergency back-up car" as being a butt-ugly example of Detroit's warped design errors.

1985 Chevy Celebrity

I admit, uglification happened over the last 25 years and I'll also point out that the awesome 2.8 liter V6 is an example of American auto-craft at it's finest. I drive this one when I want to impress a date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pontiac Trans Sport (is that Sarah Palin?)

Nash

Studebaker Avanti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the El Camino? I'd look for a picture, but ewwwwww, I'd have to look at one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Okay...

Saab 93

These were not attractive autos. If memory serves me correct they were equipped with a 3-cylinder two-stroke motor.

Volvo P544

Not the ugliest car Volvo ever made... so many ugly ones to choose from... but this one is special because my mother owned an early 50's example when I was a teen. Awful thing it was too.

Volvo P1800

What is it with the Swedes? They suck so bad at design. The frickin' Saint drove one of these and thought he was all that. I met a guy that had a million miles on his once. Big deal to both of them. This thing is horrible to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Subaru Brat (Is it a car? Is it a truck? Is it sporty? Is it an off road vehicle? Is it the ugliest car? Yes):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the El Camino? I'd look for a picture, but ewwwwww, I'd have to look at one.

OK June, DON'T LOOK!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh God, I looked.It's not a real El Camino without the Astroturf in the back though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a shout out to the 2010 Kia Soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:

I'm sorry June... but you're just wrong. El Camino's are wonderful machines and beautiful to behold. Even fuzzy-haired Limeys know that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wharton
United States
Thomasville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
I'll give a shout out to the 2010 Kia Soul.

No way dude, I've got one of those. As long as there is the Nissan Cube there is no way the Soul can be called ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Ludocrazy wrote:

OK June, DON'T LOOK!!!

...pitchers...

Okay, the eighties El-Co was pretty bad, but don't you dare say the 64-72 was ugly

Actually go ahead. So which year(s) should I enter officially?

I've decided that we're going to split certain models if major styling changes occured to the line during its run, as with the El Camino, or for instance the massive changes that have befallen the Taurus in its 20-odd years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I think the Citroen, the Rolls and the Focus look nice. The Lexus just looks average to me.

But, I would like to nominate my personal "emergency back-up car" as being a butt-ugly example of Detroit's warped design errors.

1985 Chevy Celebrity

I admit, uglification happened over the last 25 years and I'll also point out that the awesome 2.8 liter V6 is an example of American auto-craft at it's finest. I drive this one when I want to impress a date.

Nominated. Note that "Ugly" as the "Competition" defines it, is limited purely to the car's style as new; customization, neglect, and decreptitude notwithstanding. That means I'll enter a picture of the brand-spankin-new Celebrity as a nominee, though personally, I think it's more bland than anything; Detroit didn't give it enough personality to be truly ugly.

1985 Chevrolet Celebrity:

The truth of the matter is, Tripp, I like nearly every car I nominated in one way or another. The 2CV is actually cute, I think. Love the focus. Hate the rolls, and the Lexus is a deformed catfish with a sedan body on it. (I really do despise the ES300 on just about every level)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

It just looks like the box a cooler car came in.

Nobody reads threads anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1962 Amphicar:

A terrible car and a crappy boat, but it could do both. It looks cute in the water, but like a duck or a goose, all kinds of goofy on land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it with AMC anyway?

1977 AMC Matador:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this?

1957-1975 Fiat 500:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
How about this?

1957-1975 Fiat 500:

Yeah, they're standing outside the car because no way their long legs would fit inside that teeny car!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to nominate the ugliest car my parents ever owned, the Aries K Car!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.