Subject: Computer Suicide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So last night I heard a loud popping sound. My computer was off, but upon hitting the power up button it stayed off, so I'm guessing it came from that. I don't know much about computers, but I feel pretty confident that this is a power supply thing and nothing else. The "emergency on" button on the mother board doesn't work, so it's not a front-button-to-motherboard connection, and it wasn't running so it's not like the CPU pooped out (and even then... at least the fans would spin up, right?). I am just running this by my local friendly geeks as a bit of confirmation, but I'm guessing it's time for a jump skip and a hop to best buy to get a new power supply. (I would get it from Newegg but I kind of need my computer).

Also, the computer is plugged into a surge protector, and I simply don't recall whether it was flipped or not this morning, but all the other electronics plugged into it are doing fines, plus I distinctly heard a high pitched whining for a bit before the pop, which is not what a power surge sounds like. If anybody has any thoughts to share on this I'd be much appreciative. Was it mynocks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unavailable for comment.

From what you describe, your power supply is most likely dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was hoping it was aliens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, mynocks, chewing on the power cables.

Better get these guys to come exterminate them:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait a second, why is my room moving? THE DOOR IS CLOSING!

That's no door...

*DRAMATIC EXIT*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cake is a lie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
See the thing is last night at 4AM I finished organizing my entire music collection. I had just backed up all my old CDs, properly labeled them, organized it all, and today I was going to have iTunes consolidate my library. The computer knew this and defended itself appropriately. I cannot approve of its actions, but part of me doesn't blame it in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is what happens when you become RSP'er-of-the-next-several-days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

You know after all those inane answers I gave last night maybe that's what pushed it over the edge. This is so far the likeliest theory, next to mynocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other troubleshooting question...

...did you feed your gremlin after midnight last night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

You know after all those inane answers I gave last night maybe that's what pushed it over the edge. This is so far the likeliest theory, next to mynocks.

Actually, I was amazed to read some of those long posts, and then look at the timestamp - 3am! holy cow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a capacitor went? In your power supply or motherboard? Or perhaps a fuse?

Even though your computer is off, it might still be consuming a small amount of power for wake-on-lan or some other such function.

You could always borrow a friends computer and swap out components in order to try and isolate the failing component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

That's why you need to come back to Chit Chat where we LOVE you!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
... I was going to have iTunes consolidate my library.

By the way, what does this mean? Is it something one should do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a power supply go once that took almost everything with it except the actual CPU. Hope yours isn't that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do try bypassing the surge protector, just to check. But if things run true to form, the power supply blew to protect the surge protector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Back on my own computer, found the fuse that blew in the old power supply and I have a much nicer, quieter one now anyways that runs less hot to boot. That's what I get for using the power supply that came with my case. Bad, foolish Dan. Also luckily it did not take anything else with it.

Really I just wanted to post this for the mynock joke.

Also consolidating your library is something where supposedly if you have a kabillion songs all over your computer Itunes copies them all into one folder (you can also make it sort it somehow I think, haven't actually had the chance to do it yet). This is good because I just backed up my CD collection, and also have a kabillion amazon downloads all over my computer (I am not the most organized person ever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Actually, I was amazed to read some of those long posts, and then look at the timestamp - 3am! holy cow!

College was a marvelous time for staying up until 5AM then napping all afternoon, my preferred method of sleeping. Now it just hurts and makes me sick when I have to get up early come the weekday (today we had off since the Jews were Repenting). It was nice to do it once for old time sakes, but I'm gonna have to say goodbye to that. Although I am convinced the only time to program is past the witching hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Back on my own computer, found the fuse that blew in the old power supply and I have a much nicer, quieter one now anyways that runs less hot to boot. That's what I get for using the power supply that came with my case. Bad, foolish Dan. Also luckily it did not take anything else with it.

Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.