Popular Tags: [View All]
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this is old news to those of you with kids, but I just learned that Reading Rainbow ended its 26-year run several weeks ago.

I have fond memories of watching that show alongside Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, and I'm certain that it--along with some parental encouragement--helped foster my lifelong love of reading, writing, language, and literature. Heck, I fondly remember watching tapes of Reading Rainbow when I was home sick from school, and I can still remember dozens of particular episodes.

Apparently the show's cancellation was brought on by a shift in spending from trying to get kids interested in reading to an emphasis in the teaching of phonics and the like.

NPR wrote:
Grant says that [the Public Broadcasting Service], [the Corporation for Public Broadcasting] and the Department of Education put significant funding toward programming that would teach kids how to read -- but that's not what Reading Rainbow was trying to do.

"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading -- [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."

I'm no expert, but to me this just seems like the wrong way to go about it. What a shame.

Butterfly in the sky...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many good but unsuccessful kids shows, Reading Rainbow never had a product tie-in - stuffed dolls, Kids Meal toys, etc. The almighty dollar has won again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They're gonna re-tool it and call it Kindle Rainbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly in the sky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

sobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My Living Nightmare Of Encouraging Kids To Read Is Over by Levar Burton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be missed, Reading Rainbow.

My two favorite episodes were:

1.) The Old Sturbridge Village (If you've never been there, GO. Now!) episode. Discovered one of my all-time favorite books Ox-Cart Man.

2.) The TNG episode. Well, duh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

Outstanding! Cracked me up....

Quote:
Fact is, I couldn't care less whether kids learn to read. There, I said it.

Look, Reading Rainbow was a television program. That should tell you something right there. What I should have done is hosted a show that taught children how to watch more television. I bet they would have come up with the funding to renew that show.

All I've done for 26 years is drive to work, clock in, read my lines, clock out, go home, and cry myself to sleep. Now I'm much older, a broken man, but I've reached the end of my terrifying journey. And do you know what's at the end? Do you what's at the end of the "Reading Rainbow"? A giant crock of shit, that's what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if the editors and writers at The Onion had paid more fucking attention to the show, they wouldn't have dropped the word "know" from the penultimate sentence. Those fools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what I've been told by a colleague who spoke to someone associated with the show, it's not about money at all. It is indeed, as the OP notes, about teaching the mechanics of reading rather than the joy of it.

It seems like PBS should be doing both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One of my favorite shows as a kid. But you don't have to take my word for it! (Ba-dow-dow!)

If the OP is correct about the reason the show was cancelled, that is highly unsettling. I believe teaching the joy of reading is more important than teaching the mechanics. How would you expect kids to put the effort into learning the mechanics of reading if they don't see the point in it? If you teach them to love reading first, the mechanics will follow. Not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Maybe if the editors and writers at The Onion had paid more fucking attention to the show, they wouldn't have dropped the word "know" from the penultimate sentence. Those fools.
And maybe if you had paid more attention, you would see that "penultimate" meant "second to last," while it was the third to last sentence that needed the word "know" added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

When will I learn to look at the header of the page, before I start reading the articles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Never saw this show (then again, I'd've been out of college when it started based on the mention of the show's age). I'm still lamenting that they canceled "In the News" and "You Are There." :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know it was cancelled, but I bet it will swing back. The show is still in heavy rotation here (SF bay area), reruns and all. I dig the old early 90s get ups! Plus now I recognize a lot of those voices reading the stories.

And since the new "Electric Company" is probably the new baby, I must say it is an awesome show. Even though they don't showcase books soblue they do teach mechanics (way better than the old one, but that show was ahead of it's time and those guys had too much fun doing it). I like the whole "Bossy R" song and "Hard G, Soft G" segments. The linguist in me rejoices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.