Subject: Never give up when you're On the Brink! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying out the Virulent Strain Challenge and not being overly impressed with the feel of same-ness, we decided to give the Bio-Terrorist Challenge a go. He had been chomping at the bit to be the Bio-Terrorist, so after I briefed him on the rules, she and I drew roles. I was the Archivist and she was the Field Operative.

The Bio-Terrorist took things slow and conservative at the start, drawing and infecting remotely on separate turns, so we had no inkling of where he was on the board. She and I focused instead on treating diseases, which seemed to be all over the place, especially since we had no Medic.

Near the middle of the game, things started to look bad. The 2nd and 3rd Epidemics were close together, resulting in a couple of outbreaks and cities ready to blow. We were forced to choose cities to save, and decided to leave border cities like San Francisco and Sydney in danger. Europe was in dire peril, as Madrid and London were both in the danger zone. I used Resilient Population on London as the 2nd Epidemic broke, then she hurried over to treat Madrid, but soon enough, Paris was also flaring up, and we had 3 high-alert cities adjacent to each other ready to blow. Meanwhile, cures were slow in progress, as both her and I drew rainbows at the start of the game. Our first cure, Red, was only discovered mid-game, and she needed her Field Operative ability to do it.

At the same time, the BT's slow initial infections were building to a crescendo as cities started filling with 3 Purple cubes, all while the Blue cubes were threatening to run out. I used Remote Healing to stave off a Purple threat (would have been game over on the BT's turn due to Outbreak + not enough purple cubes) and remove a blue cube each from Madrid & Paris. I was still needed next turn to hurry to another city to stave off another game-ending Purple threat. With the tide of his purple disease temporarily stemmed, the BT decided to go blow up Research Stations instead to disrupt our transportation network and delay our cures. He blew up 3 of them, including the one in Atlanta. He pushed his luck too far with the Osaka Research Station though (narrowed down to a 1-city radius), and I flew over to toss him in jail for the first and only time. He had 3 Infection cards in hand at the time and nothing else required my immediate attention, so I decided it was worth it.

It was the late-game now, and she managed to cure Yellow and Blue on consecutive turns. I had been trying to cure Black all game, but the 5th Black had proven elusive all game, even after I had used Special Orders to pick up my 4th Black from her. And we still had to cure Purple! After I drew up the 5th Black and as she and I surveyed our situation on her turn, we realized that there was no way we could win. I would only get one more turn in the game, and I'd use it to cure Black. None of us was ready to cure Purple, as 5 slots in my 8-card hand were clogged by Black, and her hand had been decimated by cures and Special Events; she'd only be able to muster up 2-3 City cards by her next turn (2-3, because the 5th Epidemic was still waiting in the deck). Even if she did manage to have 3 City cards, none of us had the requisite purple-cube card we needed for the cure. There were only 5 cards left in the draw deck. On the brink of defeat, we were ready to concede.

I told her to go pick up 3 Purple cubes as a Field Operative. Just in case. Maybe. Pray for a miracle. She ended her turn in Atlanta.

A MIRACLE!!! She showed us the Special Event she drew (we agreed to reveal interesting Special Events as we draw them, as we decided the benefits outweigh the cost of the BT knowing): REEXAMINED RESEARCH. Look through the player discard pile and take a previously played city card. That would let her obtain her 3rd City card, and it would be a City card with a purple cube on it to boot! We high-fived each other as the situation, which looked so impossible just a few seconds ago, suddenly looked like there was a solution in sight.

And then BOOM! We watched in shock as the BT sabotaged the LAST research station on the board in Miami, while he cackled evilly. I had the Black cure and she had the Purple cure, but we didn't have the infrastructure to cure it.

After looking around in dismay, I planned out my turn. This was still possible because I was an Archivist. I just needed to build a Research Station near her and me. I was just about to fly myself into Lima, but stopped myself in the nick of time. Too close to Miami. I flew instead to London, picked up my used London card from the discard pile to build a Research Station, then discovered the Black cure.

As he took his turn, we waited with bated breath, dreading that he might be able to reach London and blow that Research Station up too. He couldn't! On her turn, she ran over from Atlanta and deposited the Purple cure on the last action of the last turn with the last cards in her hand. One card remained in the player draw deck (an Epidemic). The world had been saved! At the last possible moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
as 5 slots in my 8-card hand were clogged by Black

Hey, isn't the limit 7 cards?

Awesome report btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the Archivist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I was the Archivist.

Oh! Hey, my bad. Didn't catch that one.

Please excuse me, I haven't received my expansion yet. Reading this report makes me want to play more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... to pick 3 Purple cubes as a Field Operative

I thought Field Operative could pick one cube per turn ? Just checking

Anyway I agree that the new challenges are really nuce (I love the mutation too, weird to see how accustomed we are of the spreading mechanism of other diseases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unkle wrote:
Quote:
... to pick 3 Purple cubes as a Field Operative

I thought Field Operative could pick one cube per turn ? Just checking

Crap... thanks. We nearly screwed up with the Archivist too. I caught the once-per-turn restriction right before I was about to pass the card after building a research station.

It's all good, because the Bio-Terrorist will never know about this. I'm hiding the Field Operative role whenever he comes over to play Pandemic. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.