Eric Newland
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Ninja Vanish!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all...

My wife and I are going to start playing this game. So with two people, I am going to be the gamemaster guy and she is going to be the heroes. The rules are unclear as to which how many heroes she will be. Is she suppose to be all 4 of them or only two of them. I think it would be great if she was all 4.

Second question. Is it fun to pick new heroes for each new mission or better to keep your old ones and let them level up?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She can play anywhere from 2 to 4 heroes. Some folks say 3 heroes is the best balanced in the base game.

I have not tried the base game "campaign" rules, but they do not seem very popular. Check out Road to Legend or the upcoming Sea of Blood expansion for campaign style play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's perfectly allowed to play all 4 heroes, or just one, or 3. Her call. Your Monster cards allow for 2 players (1 hero) through 5 players (4 heroes).

1 hero is a tough game, and the Overlord can have a big advantage. I'd advise going light on the Overlord screwage cards at first.

I'd recommend having her play 2 heroes to start, and pick a fighter and an archer. Add as she sees fit.

As for using the same characters, the rules are designed to start fresh with each scenario. Pick up Road to Legend for the (excellent) campaign rules and "stuff."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rules for 1 hero. The "2 player" rules assume that the hero player controls two heroes, and they're the same as the "3 player" rules.

The game's scaling rules don't work very well, though. Or to be more precise, they fail miserably. So I definitely recommend playing with at least 3 heroes. Most people seem to recommend 3-4 heroes for the base game, and always using 4 heroes when playing with expansions.

Alternately, you can take a look at my mod, The Enduring Evil, which is designed to fix the scaling issues (and a few other things), but it's not compatible with the official quests and it requires you to print a bunch of new cards, so you should probably at least see whether you like the game before you bother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with my bf playing 2 heroes, just to get a feel for the game (having 3 or 4 heroes means you have a lot more abilities to keep track of). The first couple of dungeons are not that hard on the heroes, so it shouldn't be a problem. When the dungeons got harder my bf started playing 3 heroes and for WoD he's now using 4 (and still getting crushed devil ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to look at the FFG site's fanmade database for the introductory scenario! Faster to play b/c you're using fewer bits all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play by the rules as written, your hero-player should have two heroes. Two hero games tend to be quite difficult for the hero-player, however, so you might want to consider using three instead. Just make sure you treat the game as a "4-player" game (using the 4-player monster stats, for example), if you go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.