Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK after seeing this...

http://spacehulk.beckerf.de/html/3d-spacehulk.html

I'm thinking of taking the Hirst Arts plunge and going 3D.

http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/moldssci.html

I'm also thinking of getting 1.5" Large Grate and Large Deck floor tiles instead of 1", since the new figs are just a bit too cramped. But, the wall sections are designed for the 1" floors.

So, anyone have any recommendation?

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do look pretty cool...curious as well now to see any experiences with these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mount the pieces with a 3mm gap (use a piece of 3mm dowelling as a spacer in construction), then the overall space size will be 31mm, just a hair's breadth wider than the originals. That still leaves you with wall problems.

For the walls otherwise, you can cut-down a few wall pieces to make 1/2" pieces for when you have spaces that are an odd number of tiles (since 2 tiles = 3").

I haven't worked with them in years, although a user here did make a sweet Space Crusade board using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I'm also thinking of getting 1.5" Large Grate and Large Deck floor tiles instead of 1", since the new figs are just a bit too cramped. But, the wall sections are designed for the 1" floors.

The industrial edge molds at the bottom of the sci-fi molds list are designed to create a 3d border around a Space Hulk tile set without actually going to full blown walls. They're designed to work with 1 inch and 1.5 inch floor tiles. Have you considered these, or are they not 3d enough?

1.5 inch tiles would make some truly enormous maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:
The industrial edge molds at the bottom of the sci-fi molds list are designed to create a 3d border around a Space Hulk tile set without actually going to full blown walls. They're designed to work with 1 inch and 1.5 inch floor tiles. Have you considered these, or are they not 3d enough?

Oh I think those would be 3D enough. Hmmm...

Yeah, I'm a bit scared of 1.5" squares...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hey, are those new? I don't think I've seen any before.

I was just thinking, what's wrong with just doing 3D floors, no walls? I've seen similar designs on the Descent: Journeys in the Dark custom boards and think it's work just find with Space hulk.

But adding these "edges" would be a nice touch...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you've seen this, but it looks like Hirst is gettin ready to release some SH/SW specific molds. You can see examples in this thread...

http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/4098/t/Doors-and-floors-for-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmwalkr wrote:
Don't know if you've seen this, but it looks like Hirst is gettin ready to release some SH/SW specific molds. You can see examples in this thread...

You sir, just cost me a pile of cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
bryanwinter wrote:
donkeystyle wrote:

Oh I think those would be 3D enough. Hmmm...

Yeah, I'm a bit scared of 1.5" squares...

Its not that much larger, so I think its fine. Its ofcourse also possible to use 1", but thats the other end of the size problem. I personaly like the larger size more. Its not like you want to put in the extra effort to make it 3d only to use it as an extra small travel version. Larger looks better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:
drmwalkr wrote:

Ohhh MAMA! Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Martin
United States
Clinton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The new #325 mold Industrial Edging is the first of three molds. Two more will have doors and more 1.5 tiles.

Sci-Fi Large Deck 1.5" Tiles #278

Sci-Fi Large Grate 1.5" Tiles #277

You can use the Industrial Edging with these 1.5" tiles or even the 1" tiles which works well for 15mm.

All of these are at my site as pre-cast sets at [url]www.castlekits.com [/url]

We'll have a kit of the layout when the two new molds are finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
Spacehulk wrote:
drmwalkr wrote:

Ohhh MAMA! Me too!

My poor, poor wallet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston Jones
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this guy's version.....
http://www.vitruvianzeke.com/ProjectHulk/ProjectHulk.html

The walls are too tight for the lightning claw terminator, but it does give you a rather excellent example of the potential for using the molds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.