Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanting some feedback from fans of Stone Age on what kind of "sweet spot" it hits. I'm generally a fan of heavier Euro style games (current faves: Agricola, Caylus, Through the Ages, Chicago Express, Torres), though my group has also been known to enjoy some lighter fare (such as Galaxy Trucker). In your opinions, would this game have enough meat to keep me interested?

I have read some reviews, but I'd be interested in more specific answers.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chances are that it probably won't. As far as worker placement games go, it is pretty light. There aren't a whole lot of decisions either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love about Stone Age is:

- the clever dice mechanism: 1 meeple = 1 die, divide total by resource value
- you can get more actions at the cost of more food to pay (see Agricola)

Edit: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its fun to roll dice and grunt... so this game is fun to play for that alone It would serve as a fine gateway game toward your favorites for people that are new to gaming or prefer something relatively simple... But I don't think it would hold up as a deep enough game for you (though it hits my strategic luck management sweet spot nicely). Certainly try before you buy if you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

With 3 plus player, the game is quite nice. I just find that it falls a little flat with 2 players.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
As a worker-placement game, it is in some ways similar to both Agricola and Caylus. It is definitely lighter than both those games. I like to play Stone Age when I don't feel like experiencing as much angst as I do in Agricola.

My wife and I are big fans of all three games. But it is definitely lighter: it really depends how heavy you want your games to be. It also has a bigger luck element than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the "known to enjoy some lighter fare", I'd say yes.

Fun game, deeper than it looks, not just a pure luck fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Given the "known to enjoy some lighter fare", I'd say yes.

I'd second this comment. There is quite a bit more to this game than it might appear on first playing. Sure it doesn't have as many options as Caylus and Agricola, but there are quite a few approaches you can take and it seems very balanced.

Not sure about others, but I definitely go through phases where I enjoy heavier games and phases where I just can't be bothered with them. Stone Age hits the sweet spot when I am in a lighter mood, but is still way ahead (in my opinion) in terms of challenge and strategic interest than say Ticket to Ride level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

well said. i think alot people confuse variety of actions with strategic depth.

if the definition of 'light' in the context of this thread is a fast paced game with minimal overheads and administration then that's a good description of the game.

if you're talking about light in terms of strategy then no that doesn't describe stone age at all.

and don't be fooled into thinking that simply because the game contains dice luck plays an important part. it doesn't. the game isn't about being lucky, it's about risk management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a pure dice game, but chronic bouts of bad luck will certainly hurt you. It won't necessarily kill you either. There are ways around that that you can make through judgement calls and risk/resource management as other players have posted. Not being a pure dice game but having a good amount of strategy, there are plenty of things you'd want to think about, think ahead, and think through.

As always, some people just simply don't like the uncertainty of dice at all.

The game scales pretty well for the full 2p to 4p range, but bear in mind I have NOT played this with 3p yet.

Play time is listed as an hour, but 2 hours would be an absolute high ball figure if you needed one, with 1.5 hours being an average game that's not "super quick" (a game where all players move like clockwork). Still shorter than other dice games or heavier games for non-gamers like Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone who's taken time to reply. It sounds intriguing, but I'm still not sure. I think I'll probably slot this one into the "try before I buy" category.

Since there isn't anywhere around here that I can play be paying, how does the BSW implementation fare? If anyone's tried it, would you consider it to be a good substitute for playing in person (for the purposes of testing the game out)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, BSW looks nice.

But a big part of a dice game is picking up those suckers and letting them fly, so I personally would really miss that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW implements the online version of Stone Age very well.

the only thing that you may find difficult as a new player to Stone Age is that the games on BSW move very quickly and you may start to lose track of what others have picked up and what strat they're employing.

but if you're not too worried about winning and just want to get a good feel for what it's about then it's a good way to demo the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.