Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've only played FF1 since every time I whip out the game I'm teaching it to new players (which is fine since they all have loved it and I don't get to play it as often as I'd like to play it).

Well, in each case I always let the new player play the Germans due to the fact that on FF1 the advantage lies heavily with them with their superior firepower and those dreaded Pioneers!

This past Saturday I taught it to a friend (who's a HS history teacher) and he took the Germans and proceeded to move cautiously through the woods to the right of the road and control marker. Early on he pinned one of my units down and then proceeded to try to flank/destroy them but his dice were cursed. German bullets were zipping over the heads of the Soviets as they were deep in their foxholes and under the fallen trees! Needless to say it took almost 2 turns for him to eliminate my one unit.

That was critical as it enabled me to continue to hold the control marker and attain VP's!

On the left of the board my MMG and his LMG were dueling and I ended up taking his out with an insta-kill. Ah, such glorious moments!

By the time the game ended on Turn 5 the Soviets were still controlling the marker and the Germans were pinned in the woods.

Final score - Soviets 6. Germans 2.

My 1st win as the Soviets and it was glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah...that 1 MMG isn't really enough to hold off the hordes of Germans for very long without some good dice rolls!

I've tried repositioning the MG because the obvious move for the Germans is setting up on the opposite corner behind all those woods from the MMG. It forces that Soviet gun to move, and the 5 range on the Soviet squad in the middle of the map means it took has to move.

With some decent initial dice rolls the Germans can get into the Russian lines and on Turn 3 when those Pioneers show up it's on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.