Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Use the Chapel to throw away Copper and keep Estates? That's crazy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... but I just did it in a 2-player game, and won.

At the mid-game, my deck was:

Village x5
Smithy x3
Estate x3
Baron x2
Throne Room
Chapel

No Treasure!

At this point, the deck is pretty much going to nearly guarantee
12 treasure and 4 buys a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever. I've experimented with combining Chapel and Baron, but usually only kept one Estate and then trashed both it and the Baron midway through the game when I could no longer rely on getting them both together. Nice job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:

Village x5
Smithy x3
Estate x3
Baron x2
Throne Room
Chapel

No Treasure!

Decent strategy, though it would have been significantly more effective to buy some gold at some point. With all those villages and smithys and throne room, you should be drawing your whole deck most turns. Keeping all 3 estates hurt you more than helped you.

Also, if there was any other better way of increasing your buys, this strategy might not have been so optimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:

Village x5
Smithy x3
Estate x3
Baron x2
Throne Room
Chapel

No Treasure!

Why stop at 12 treasure? Once you've used a Throne Room / Baron to discard 2 Estates, you should then draw them again so you can play a second Throne Room / Baron for 16 treasure, netting you two Provinces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
Decent strategy, though it would have been significantly more effective to buy some gold at some point.

I doubt it. Throne Room + Baron is worth more than Gold + Gold, and costs less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
dond80 wrote:
Decent strategy, though it would have been significantly more effective to buy some gold at some point.

I doubt it. Throne Room + Baron is worth more than Gold + Gold, and costs less.

your argument improperly assumes you can't do both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:

No, it properly assumes that you can't do both. If you're spending money on Gold, then you're not spending it on Throne Rooms and Barons. Adding Throne Rooms and Barons adds more to the power of this deck than adding Gold does, so it's a better choice.

There could come a point where you have so many Throne Rooms and Barons that you don't want any more, and then you would have to increase the buying power with some less efficient purchase, such as Gold. But this deck clearly hasn't reached that point yet, and probably never will (since at that point you should just be buying Provinces and ending the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
dond80 wrote:

No, it properly assumes that you can't do both. If you're spending money on Gold, then you're not spending it on Throne Rooms and Barons. Adding Throne Rooms and Barons adds more to the power of this deck than adding Gold does, so it's a better choice.

There could come a point where you have so many Throne Rooms and Barons that you don't want any more, and then you would have to increase the buying power with some less efficient purchase, such as Gold. But this deck clearly hasn't reached that point yet, and probably never will (since at that point you should just be buying Provinces and ending the game).

Ok...you play it your way and Ill play it mine and we'll see who wins. When that deck stalls, it does nothing. When mine stalls, I buy a single province and get irritated I couldn't buy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you play a game similar to this 50 times, and miss this strategy all 50 times.

I play a lot with the Baron (makes for a fast game), but I usually do like another poster said... use it a few times, then trash it and the estates. The efficiency of not wasting turns trashing the estates and barons has to help too - it would probably net you one extra turn over the course of the game.

I'm making a mental note of this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.