The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a significant break from 40K, but the new Space Hulk has gotten the itch back.

So, I pick up the 5th edition starter and I see references to Necrons and Tau. What are they... Arnie-style Terminators and Space Ninjas? They definitely seem out of place in the 40K setting!

Did the Cybertronic and Mishima corporations from Mutant Chronicles and Warzone actually affect the 40K lineup?

And where are my Squats, dammit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squats have been gone for 15+ years. People need to get over it already.

Tau are an alien race with super advanced technology. Good at shooting up stuff... bad at hand to hand.

Necrons are ancient robots inbibed with the souls of an alien race. They are more like undead... but robotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I took a significant break from 40K, but the new Space Hulk has gotten the itch back.

So, I pick up the 5th edition starter and I see references to Necrons and Tau. What are they... Arnie-style Terminators and Space Ninjas? They definitely seem out of place in the 40K setting!

Did the Cybertronic and Mishima corporations from Mutant Chronicles and Warzone actually affect the 40K lineup?

Think of the Necrons as the Undead of the 40k Universe. I'm not sure how you're getting ninjas from the Tau, but they're a race that has various castes that specialize in different tasks. They use allies for work that they are weak in (Kroot Warriors for close assault).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Necrons = undead Terminators.
Tau = coma-inducingly boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To put the Squat thing more gently, as you were just inquiring about them, they've been written out of the 40k fluff... I believe by being wiped out by the Tyranids. Basically they were discontinued. It's a sore point for some people and they continually bring it up as yet another thing they can complain about... like I said, it happened 15+ years ago... get over it already.

However, some people have converted some really cool squat armies to use with other army lists, such as Imperial Guard. I've thought about doing the same using Dwarf models, but I already have too many other projects on my plate.

And I agree that the Tau don't seem to fit the 40k universe... they have nice shiny high-tech gear and don't fit the grim darkness of the far future. But thats just my opinion of them. On the other hand I had a friend who absolutly adored them, saying,"This is the army I've been waiting for!" He like the anime look of them and was less concerned about the fluffy side of things (which is fine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:
To put the Squat thing more gently, as you were just inquiring about them, they've been written out of the 40k fluff... I believe by being wiped out by the Tyranids. Basically they were discontinued.

Yeah, it was about 15 years ago for me. That's about right.

Also, back when I worked in a game store, Squats sold like crap, so I got them cheap (plus my employee discount). I can totally see why they would be discontinued.

As for inserting them into the Imperial Guard, well, I think that would work pretty as a stand-alone specialty squad, and would fit the Imperial Guard "theme". Do they still use Ogres? I mean, Ogryns?

As for a super-high-tech race in 40k, that doesn't feel right. Like oil and water. I'll probably pass.

Now, undead is totally something I could get behind. But "true" undead in 40K was a big wish "back then." I guess undead robots are OK. But skeletons with bolters would be sweeeet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
But skeletons with bolters would be sweeeet.

Do I detect a massive army conversion undertaking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
But skeletons with bolters would be sweeeet.

Do I detect a massive army conversion undertaking?

Noooooo no no no no. Small steps. Small steps.

(although that would be pretty sweet....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Imperial Guard still have Ogryns... and they also have Ratling snipers, which are very similar to Squats. So they are definately open to Abhumans. I could see a unit of Squats as a specialized squad, maybe count them as veterans. That would be cool, I might do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:

If you want to read some extra background information, you could check the lexicanum website (a great WH40K resource!):
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Necron

WARNING: if you are reading the Horus Heresy novel series of Black Library, this is a major spoiler for one specific novel...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In "Mechanicum" by Graham McNeill, the reader discovers that the Dragon laying "asleep" on Mars is one of the C'Tan. The history of Necrons and the C'Tan are strongly interwoven. Some Dark Mechanicum devices seen in "Mechanicum" seem very related to what we now know as Necrons...

It is a good example of how GW tried and IMO succeded to link old lore (Mechanicum, C'Tan, Old Ones) and new lore (Necrons) in a acceptable and credible way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
If you want to read some extra background information, you could check the lexicanum website (a great WH40K resource!)

Wow. Thanks for that. I never realized so many people cared that much about the 40K background. I always considered it uber-fluff. I mean, it's elves in space, ya know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I never realized so many people cared that much about the 40K background. I always considered it uber-fluff. I mean, it's elves in space, ya know?

Well in the beginning it is, but then, after playing some battles with a very strong narative element, and reading some flavourtext in rulebooks or codices, you want to know more and you start looking for more info

For my that's one of the big pros of GW and their products: the lore/background around all their (major) games is so strong, consistent and always present that it brings playing a battle easily to "the next level", where you forget that you are in fact playing a game, but in stead imagine yourself standing knee-deep in Tyranad-gore, bashing away with your chainsword...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humorously enough, I adored the Tau the moment I saw them but then again I'm a fairly new player. It's a very good thing that they do appeal to new players (and most older players, by the looks of it) because it helps to have an army you can enjoy and identify with.

Both armies are, imho, incredibly cool and creative - I mean Undead freakin' robots? How insanely cool is that? For my money, VERY cool.

"For the greater good."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.