Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Special Corrections Project -- Update Uncredited Designs -- Get :GG: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm in the process of updating items in the database that have no designer attached to them. For the next week, I'm running a special corrections drive to get more information about Uncredited games. Here's how to participate:

1) Go to Advanced search. In the designer box fill in (Uncredited), and select that item from the drop-down list.

2) Click the check-box next to "Search Games Owned" which should have your username in the box. Run the search.

3) The resulting list of games should be the games in your collection that are listed as Uncredited. Check those games to see if you can find any information about who designed the game.

4) Using the Submit Corrections button in that game's entry, submit the designer name to be linked to that game. (If you use Submit Corrections in the (Uncredited) designer entry, I have no way of knowing what game's designer needs to be updated, the (Uncredited) designer ID is linked to ~16,000 games in the database)

4a) If the designer of the game isn't already listed in the database, you can submit a new designer by going to Misc --> Add New Item --> Create a New Person. In that submission form, you can also directly link your submission to a game or games in the database, speeding along the approval process.

5) As an added bonus, I'll also give for artist corrections/updates, though we do not yet have an efficient way to search your collection to find what games do not have artists attached.

Be sure in your correction to click the red button to remove (Uncredited) as a designer for that game as well.

I'll be giving out 3 per game per designer corrected this way. If you're submitting designers that aren't already listed in the database, you'll get 5 for the designer approval.

---

Edited to add: And just to nip it in the bud, I will not be taking corrections adding Charles Darrow or Elizabeth J. Magie (Phillips) to every Monopoly game in the database, nor any other corrections adding a designer to endless derivative products. These are known issues with crediting, but will not be resolved in this sweep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to add a designer for Armies of Oblivion. Do I add the designer after you approve him or will you add the designer?

I am sorry to say that this is the only game that I own where the designer is unknown or I would be happy to help out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check up on some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dying Lights which is listed with an uncredited designer. I checked the rulebook, and indeed, I couldn't find a designer (much less an artist) listed. Nor is the artist name listed on the cards, which is strange. I sent the company a query about the designer/artist. I'll post a correction if they respond. If anyone else knows the designer/artist for this game, feel free to post it.

The Deluxe ASL game Hedgerow Hell: ASL Deluxe Module 2 is also listed with an uncredited designer. That's really surprising. I'll check my copy when I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the Sexes is one of these. I would LOVE to know who to blame for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

The Deluxe ASL game Hedgerow Hell: ASL Deluxe Module 2 is also listed with an uncredited designer. That's really surprising. I'll check my copy when I get home.

I will let you add them. It was designed by some classic ASL/Avalon Hill designers: D. Martin, C. Kibler, Don Greenwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed there are a lot of other old Avalon Hill titles without designers. I am working through the rest of them now. Some, I believe, will be impossible to track down this many years later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine. Ok, already. After several years on the geek, I finally submitted my own name for artist credit on this incredibly crappy game.

But it's not all my fault - there were a whole mess of us. So I submitted their names too. I'm not going down alone.

And, yes, yes. I was the 'art director', and the font is friggin tiny. Teensy, even. But in my own defense, the printer did a rush job and reduced the final resolution; or else the cards would have been readable. Barely. And we were given no proofs. At all. The printer finished the print run on the second day of Gencon (instead of a week before), and then the distributors, seeing the low-resolution unreadable cards, refused to distribute. The whole damn thing just went up in flames.

Come to think of it, I never got paid anything. But now there's . So that's something.

*slinks away*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a few corrections to Nippon Rails . The designer listed did the board design, not the game design. The two designers i suggested was not the original designers of the crayon - track design. They are still mentioned in the rulebook as designers.. and the original designers of Empire Builder are also given credit in the rulebook...

All this just as an example of how tricky this can be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dreadpirate wrote:
Fine. Ok, already. After several years on the geek, I finally submitted my own name for artist credit on this incredibly crappy game.

So, which one are you...? You deserve a Designer Badge for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Lie, Cheat & Steal

I could find no designer
I did add information to the "more information" section of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I was too slow for the only game I could help with (Xactika). I just got a geekmail saying it was already added. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question - what if the designer is listed as a company? I have one on the uncredited list, and the instructions list it as "Created and designed by Antler Productions." (But that company is not the publisher.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:

Why does this Kool-aid taste of almonds?

Thanks, but my Geeks-gone-wild days are behind me: I'd rather not be a shirtless guy on that particular cover. In a few more years, maybe I'll have some respectable game cred, and this one will just be a charmingly quirky footnote. I've got one or two cards in the running here, I'm told, which is a good sign at least, so maybe's there's hope for me yet.

Till then... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
First results on my list - Go, Mahjong, Chess, Backgammon, Mancala, and Pachisi.

Can someone help me with these???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added the original three designers of the Pokémon Trading Card Game.

Yeah, I know it's lame, but it's the only game I owned that was uncredited and not a Monopoly/Risk/Trivial Pursuit. :blush:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
1) Go to Advanced search. In the designer box fill in (Uncredited), and select that item from the drop-down list.

If you are only going after entries where designer has been marked as (Uncredited), you are going to miss quite a few entries. Lately there have been lots of entries added where one or both of the designer and publisher fields are completely empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dreadpirate wrote:
skelebone wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:

Why does this Kool-aid taste of almonds?

Thanks, but my Geeks-gone-wild days are behind me: I'd rather not be a shirtless guy on that particular cover. In a few more years, maybe I'll have some respectable game cred, and this one will just be a charmingly quirky footnote. I've got one or two cards in the running here, I'm told, which is a good sign at least, so maybe's there's hope for me yet.

Till then... ninja

Hey Anthony,
Is the April Lee credited as well on your game THE April Lee of L5R and Heroes of Might and Magic art fame? She rocks. I still have a print of the custom art she did for the cover of the program for Concussion4, a now defunct Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Gaming/Drinking convention here in NE/IA that I was gaming coordinator for. I'm jealous if you got to work with her.

I also think I met you at Geekway 08. I drove down from Bellevue, NE to play some games and visit CJ Faria. You might know me from my username on Tanga and Pozy(RIP), themuppetpastor.

Anyways, nice seeing you again and I look forward to be playing some game of yours in the future.

...and just so this post isn't completely off topic, I submitted some art and designer credits for the Pirates Pocketmodel stuff as well as Beyond Balderdash, the CSI board game, and Antler Island so far. More to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games that I own that have uncredited designers are Scattergories, Chess, and Dominoes. I can understand the ancient games not having available information, but Scattergories is only 20 years old; records are being kept now. I looked over the rules insert for Scattergories and could not find any helpful information. I researched further using Google, Wikipedia, and other online sources and could not find anything either.

Maybe one of you would have better luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Badger
England
Stratford upon Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about GG for uncredited Artists as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Question - what if the designer is listed as a company? I have one on the uncredited list, and the instructions list it as "Created and designed by Antler Productions." (But that company is not the publisher.)

I had to do that for Bottle Topps (Aslip & Co). It works the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badger on the move wrote:
How about GG for uncredited Artists as well?

skelebone wrote:
5) As an added bonus, I'll also give for artist corrections/updates, though we do not yet have an efficient way to search your collection to find what games do not have artists attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way of confirming that no designer (or artist) is credited, to save several people checking the same thing?

For example, I've just had a look at Lose Your Shirt (well, 1st Past the Post which was a later edition I think) and no trace of a designer is to be seen. If I could indicate this somehow would that be helpful?

Eddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
oskari wrote:
skelebone wrote:

If you are only going after entries where designer has been marked as (Uncredited), you are going to miss quite a few entries. Lately there have been lots of entries added where one or both of the designer and publisher fields are completely empty.

I've been working on those. I have about 600 that still need the (Uncredited) appellation, but I expect to have all of those done today or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

4) Using the Submit Corrections button in that game's entry, submit the designer name to be linked to that game. (If you use Submit Corrections in the (Uncredited) designer entry, I have no way of knowing what game's designer needs to be updated, the (Uncredited) designer ID is linked to ~16,000 games in the database)

Please note this really really means DO NOT submit a correction to change the (Uncredited) name to something else. That would impact thousands of games erroneously.

Add the designer(s) to the game as mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.