Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Free copies of Darwin's Origin of Species rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Who else is exited about getting one of these nice, new copies of the Origin of Species? It comes complete with a new introduction which explains how Adolf Hitler was connected to evolution, how there are no transitional species in the fossil record, how the big bang is impossible, and how Charles Darwin was racist and abusive towards women.

I'm so glad Kirk Cameron is here to protect us from all those evil college professors who "brainwash" our children with science.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
So many lies in his first paragraph. Yeesh.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I think the whole strategy of writing a preface to Darwin's book and giving it away free is brilliant. If you guys can shove your bias aside for long enough to see how slick the idea is you'd probably agree.

Why pay for a book you can get for free? And since this is America the Christian group has every right to do exactly as they please and not have their 1st Amendment rights denied.

So why fuss about it? I mean, unless you're worried that someone might become a Christian. I'm not a Christian and I can't think of a single reason why I would have any feelings one way or the other if people decide that God exists.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I think the whole strategy of writing a preface to Darwin's book and giving it away free is brilliant. If you guys can shove your bias aside for long enough to see how slick the idea is you'd probably agree.

Why pay for a book you can get for free? And since this is America the Christian group has every right to do exactly as they please and not have their 1st Amendment rights denied.

So why fuss about it? I mean, unless you're worried that someone might become a Christian. I'm not a Christian and I can't think of a single reason why I would have any feelings one way or the other if people decide that God exists.


I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is 0% chance of any one becoming a Christian because of this idiotic tactic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
The other day a friend sent me the viral email claiming that the ACLU is suing the U.S. military to disallow the use of cross shaped headstones in their cemetaries.

When I sent back a link that illustrates that the whole thing is complete bullshit (the military's headstones are all rectangular by military mandate) one of her friends blasted me because, and I quote, "The ACLU does this kind of stuff all the time. I don't believe your website."


Hey, my mom sent me a viral email about boycotting the new dollar coin because they took the "in God We Trust" off the coin..

...But they have it engraved on the edge of the coin!

shake My mom.





4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

So why fuss about it?


I'm not angry, I'm laughing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all are wasting words discussing this.

I think the only appropriate response is 'Wow. Stay away from my kids, huh?"
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
The other day a friend sent me the viral email claiming that the ACLU is suing the U.S. military to disallow the use of cross shaped headstones in their cemetaries.

When I sent back a link that illustrates that the whole thing is complete bullshit (the military's headstones are all rectangular by military mandate) one of her friends blasted me because, and I quote, "The ACLU does this kind of stuff all the time. I don't believe your website."

You can't reason with these fucktards. It's best to shake your head and let them lie, because engaging them just spreads their bullshit all the more, and they won't listen to mountains of evidence anyway. Even when it proves that they're commiting the sin of bearing false witness. You'd think if God gives them so damn much morality, they'd have a problem with that. I guess his cup doesn't runneth over in that department.
For the record there may be a kernal of truth to this viral e-mail, although it has been blown completely out of proportion.

The ACLU sued and won a case that forced the military to offer a multitude of gravestone options.

That is well and good.

As I understand it the controversy arose within various families when the gov't took down cross shaped gravestones to replace them with the new options. Given scorned family members, the viral nature of the internet, and the generally poor opinion most Americans have of the ACLU the story was easy to believe and quickly blown out of proportion.

Certainly there is enough there to understand how the misunderstanding arose and not refer to people who object as "fucktards".


I'm not talking about those that misunderstand. I'm talking about the type of person who, in the face of evidence that what they're saying is completely wrong and dishonest, says "I don't believe it cause it sounds like something they'd do." That is a fucktard, and Kirk Cameron seems to want to crown himself their king.


The other noun form is even better. "Please stop infecting me, my kids, and those around you with your fucktardation."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
DCAnderson wrote:
This will always be the pinnacle of the achievements of Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort:




When I was in Cuba last year I must have ate 30 bananas in a week. They were have the size of the one Ray Comfort is playing with though.

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion except to say I like bananas...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
I'm not talking about those that misunderstand. I'm talking about the type of person who, in the face of evidence that what they're saying is completely wrong and dishonest, says "I don't believe it cause it sounds like something they'd do." That is a fucktard, and Kirk Cameron seems to want to crown himself their king.


This is the attitude I pray more and more democrats take up over the next few years. Maybe it's, in some abstract way, an extension of redistribution, where if you see somebody you think is blind the only appropriate thing to do is blind yourself.

Whatever the logic, it gives me hope.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
The other day a friend sent me the viral email claiming that the ACLU is suing the U.S. military to disallow the use of cross shaped headstones in their cemetaries.

When I sent back a link that illustrates that the whole thing is complete bullshit (the military's headstones are all rectangular by military mandate) one of her friends blasted me because, and I quote, "The ACLU does this kind of stuff all the time. I don't believe your website."

You can't reason with these fucktards. It's best to shake your head and let them lie, because engaging them just spreads their bullshit all the more, and they won't listen to mountains of evidence anyway. Even when it proves that they're commiting the sin of bearing false witness. You'd think if God gives them so damn much morality, they'd have a problem with that. I guess his cup doesn't runneth over in that department.
For the record there may be a kernal of truth to this viral e-mail, although it has been blown completely out of proportion.

The ACLU sued and won a case that forced the military to offer a multitude of gravestone options.

That is well and good.

As I understand it the controversy arose within various families when the gov't took down cross shaped gravestones to replace them with the new options. Given scorned family members, the viral nature of the internet, and the generally poor opinion most Americans have of the ACLU the story was easy to believe and quickly blown out of proportion.

Certainly there is enough there to understand how the misunderstanding arose and not refer to people who object as "fucktards".


Don't make excuses for the fucktards.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Kirk Cameron?

Besides, the only people who will get these are fundamentalist Christians who'd npt have any other copy in their house. Then maybe their kids will read the actual text and turn their brain on.
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What would happen if you published a religous text along the same lines? Would that be legal, or would it be classified as relgious hatred/incitment?

I know there is the annotated bible online, but I suppose that's slightly differant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've seen the banana video before and without knowing anything about the author just thought it was quite clever satire of creation science!

As long as they keep this out of science class they should be free to print out and give away whatever crazy stuff they like.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask myself what would happen if Bibles were distributed with a prologue stating that God does not exist and that religion is a mind disease and that grown up should not believe in fairies in the sky.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
I ask myself what would happen if Bibles were distributed with a prologue stating that God does not exist and that religion is a mind disease and that grown up should not believe in fairies in the sky.


You're being far too rational. You'd need to include comparisons of the Bible to Jello that don't tie to anything else and discuss how it made appearances in Mein Kampf. And then discuss how the fossil record for the Bible is incomplete and doesn't capture every edit ever made to it.

Then you'd be in the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

You can't reason with these fucktards.


When someone calls me a fucktard the first thing I think is "Wow, what a fair-minded compassionate person. They respect me and while they don't agree with me on every subject, they value me enough to listen to me and then offer their facts & opinions as well. I'll be more than happy to listen to their side as well, because as they value me, I will value them as well. During our discussion, we'll exchange ideas & philosophies and even though we may end up not agreeing in the end, we both will still respect each other as people."

That's why, no matter where I go, I greet people with a hearty "Morning, Fucktard!"

It's the phrase that has a built-in smile!

Shushnik, you're my special Fucktard! (See? Now we're friends forever!)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get your point, but...

okiedokie wrote:
During our discussion, we'll exchange ideas & philosophies...


Do you really think Mr. Cameron and Ray Comfort are interested in exchanging ideas or philosophies? Or just stating that theirs are right and others aren't?

For what it's worth, the foreword that's been added isn't a reasonable exchange of ideas or philosophies.

I respect their right to their beliefs, but lose respect for them as people since they seem bound and determined not to respect science or other people's beliefs.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually okie, that's exactly the point. These people are a brick wall to fair-minded compassionate thoughtful discussion. The will not listen to reason. So, why not call them fucktards. It will do just as much good as trying to reason with them, with the added bonus of making you feel better.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Actually okie, that's exactly the point. These people are a brick wall to fair-minded compassionate thoughtful discussion. The will not listen to reason. So, why not call them fucktards. It will do just as much good as trying to reason with them, with the added bonus of making you feel better.


Whether you can reason with fucktards: TEACH THE CONTROVERSY!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
As I understand it the controversy arose within various families when the gov't took down cross shaped gravestones to replace them with the new options.


I had some time today and did some digging. This particular event (removing cross-shaped headstones) does not appear to have ever taken place. The only lawsuit I found involving military headstones and the ACLU is one filed in 2006 on behalf of veterans with Wiccan beliefs who wanted a Wiccan symbol on their headstone that the military denied. I don't believe that the US military has ever used cross-shaped headstones within the US. I think the only examples of such headstones are in Europe for US soldiers killed while fighting there. Certainly, Arlington National Cemetery doesn't contain anything other than rectangular stones, which may have a religious symbol on them.

Much hoo-hah, no actual event.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
So, why not call them fucktards. It will do just as much good as trying to reason with them, with the added bonus of making you feel better.


Plus, it lets other people know how mature you really are. And..and it also draws in other people so that THEY will want to have discussions with you because they will know that afterward, you won't be badmouthing them.

I'm reminded of an old soft drink jingle...

"He's a Fucktard, She's a Fucktard, wouldn't you like to be a fucktard, too? Be a fucktard, disagree with a me. FUCKTARD! Be a Fucktard, have an opinion. FUCKTARD!"

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Why Kirk Cameron?

Besides, the only people who will get these are fundamentalist Christians who'd npt have any other copy in their house. Then maybe their kids will read the actual text and turn their brain on.


They are being freely distributed at colleges around the country. I'm sure a lot more than just fundamentalists will be looking at them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
I think they should put copies in hotel rooms, take out the religious BS and add porno pics!

Watching the banana video is spit-take worthy. I wonder if the penis was shaped like a banana for simular reasons?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the lines of showing respect, the end of that foreword contains some fairly shocking oversimplifications of other religious beliefs that doesn't show a great deal of respect for them. Mr. Comfort disses Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam with horribly stereotypical views of their theologies in a pretty dismissive and insulting way. And I'm none of those religions.

I'm all for hearing multiple views, but I'll reserve my respect for those that are similarly inclined (whether scientifically or theologically).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.