Popular Tags: [View All]
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A bit like the unnamed diseases in Pandemic, the tiles in Word on the Street made me curious. All the tiles are speckled gray (clacky!) plastic, but each of the 17 letters are printed with a shape used for (U.S.) roadsigns. Some of them seem to indicate actual traffic signage; some I need help deciphering (if there is anything there to decipher, that is).

H is a white H in a blue square: obviously a Hospital sign.

S is a red octagon: Stop sign.

R is in a yellow circle: Railroad. The circle is reserved exclusively for advanced RR signs - so does the C within a circle stand for choo choo?

Y is in a red inverted equilateral triangle: a shape used only for Yield.

P is white in a green square: Phone? Park? Parking?

K and V are yellow pentagonal house-shapes, like School Crossing signs Hey kids - K is for Krossing!? Vampire crossing?

Orange diamonds are only for construction/warning signs: what might T and G stand for? Traffic standing still. . . Get away now?

N is in an interstate highway shape.

B is in the more elaborate shield of numbered U.S. and state routes.

(Remember, for both of these, even numbers run east-west, odd numbers are for north-south roads.)

D is a (yellow and purple!) county route shape.

L = ? Its trapezoid indicates a recreational area or national forest

W is a brown square = some sort of public recreation and cultural interest. Water?

White M in a square red sign = ?

White F in a tall rectangular sign = ?

The card tray divider card (you can print it online along with custom Category cards) depicts the symbol for divided highway.

Some of this I had to look up. New fact learned:
Did you know there's a "No Traffic Signs" traffic sign? Reminds me of my old "Ban Bumper Stickers" bumper sticker.

Anyway, this may have been a waste of time, considering none of it is actually relevant for gameplay. But now you have something to think about when it's not your turn. And codes are meant to be cracked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.