Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Kwiatek
United States
Saltsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am leading an class discussion of The Hunger Games by Collins. It is the story of a young woman in an dismal future who is forced to fight in televised games teens from other areas in order to secure food for her area. It's a little like running man meets survivor. I was thinking of playing a game as part of the discussion (it's not for a grade) and was wondering what titles might fit the novel's basic ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Games-Suzanne-Collins/dp/043902... That is the Amazon page for the book for a more in depth idea. Thanks for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great book! Just finished the sequel, Catching Fire.

In college we used Dungeons and Dragons to have 16 folks enter a labrynth, every man for himself. Each person was a different class (ranger, mage, cleric, etc). 16 in, 1 out.

In a weird way, Dogville is somewhat similar to the book. You have to find food, dodge the Dogcatcher (i.e. Gamemaster....), and fight other dogs.

Roborally also shares some of the survival and combat elements.

I am sure there are others......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Kwiatek
United States
Saltsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some neat ideas! I can't believe I didn't think of just running an RPG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Kwiatek
United States
Saltsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Great book! Just finished the sequel, Catching Fire.

What did you think of the second book, btw? I have heard lukewarm reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first book was really good- hard to live up to that standard.

I thought the second book was much lighter. Story was a bit more predictable and there was less character development. It was a pretty fast read. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first. As the second book of the trilogy, I think its main function is not as a stand alone work rather it sets up the conclusion in the third book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 40 copies of "Hunger Games" at our local library, and I am 134th in the queue. Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.