Subject: Treasure Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You never pick one in vanilla Descent, the only deck you can just pick cards from (And buy them) is the market deck, which contains the least powerful items and is only useful to get a start.

You draw treasure cards when you pick up treasures, as indicated by the dungeon you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also buy treasures from the shop once you've opened a chest of the same color, but the treasure you receive is still random--you just get to pick which level (copper, silver, or gold) to buy.

So saying you never pick one is slightly inaccurate, because there's a gold treasure in the Altar of Despair expansion that can be used to search the copper or silver deck and take exactly the item you want. But normally you only get random ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with a house rule that let's you draw 2 and keep one treasure. I was tired of playing a melee character and always drawing runes. I only apply the rule when buying treasure from the shop not when receiving treasure from a chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
I've been playing with a house rule that let's you draw 2 and keep one treasure. I was tired of playing a melee character and always drawing runes. I only apply the rule when buying treasure from the shop not when receiving treasure from a chest.

Deefer:

a) there is a character skill from the "subterfuge" deck in one of the expansions (I forget which) called "Appraiser" which basically lets you do the draw-2-keep-one thing

b) Vanilla is considered to have badly balanced treasure decks, eg. little melee treasure. The expansions help fix that

In sum, methinks you need some expansions! More for the OL to do also. Consider WoD, ToI and AoD which give heroes and OLs more to play with, without making it a completely different game like RtL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have WoD, perhaps I need more expansions you can still get unlucky. It sucks to not get anything in the treasure chest only to spend all your hard earned $$ and still get nothing of value (even to trade)

[edit: I love Descent but it doesn't seem to get enough playtime to warrant throwing more $ at expansions]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
I love Descent but it doesn't seem to get enough playtime to warrant throwing more $ at expansions

Perhaps you could re-evaluate in terms of fun/$/hour? Even if Descent only hits the table 1 time every couple of months, surely the base game has already paid for itself! Here's the rationalization:

Imagine you have played 2 times and you apparently loved it. Therefore you are getting approx $6/hour of fun from the base game. Compare this to say a movie for you and a friend at about $10/hour ($20 for tickets and snacks at a matinee, about 2 hours worth of movie). I say the base game has already paid for itself in fun value.

Then add all three (non-RtL) expansions (I'm assuming you've already played base game 2 times, so that cost is nullified as you've already gotten your money's worth in entertainment dollar value), play 2 more games with the 3 expansions for about $6.50/hour of fun; still compares well to a movie, doesn't it?

Of course, I'm being partly facetious, your accounting of fun value and justifying purchases might be quite different from mine! But let's just say I've talked my husband into a lot of game purchases this past year!

But just think, you could then stretch your fun/$/hour even further by buying some cheap acrylic paints, and spending endless hours with a friend painting figures, chatting and listening to gaming podcasts! (This is how I'm planning to spend my evening anyway!) And in turn, lovely painted figs will entice more friends into playing Descent with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The $ get spent anyway... but if it was on an expansion for a game I already have vs. getting a new game... well, I'm torn.

Beat you to it on the painting . Finished my master giant, golem, and ogre. Now working on the kobolds and beastmaster.

anyway, the point is not that I won't get the expansions eventually. I just posted how I prefer to handle buying new items from the treasure decks. I suppose the appraiser card might change how I handle that rule but I hate spending the gold to end up with nothing of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.