Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this back December-ish and never played it... then along came Keldon's AI (woohoo! woohooo!) and I played my first several games earlier today. (Warning - RftG, at least the AI version, has a seriously insidious "JUST ONE MORE TRY!" thing about it!)

Yeesh. This is VERY different than the kinds of roughly equivalent games I'm used to, i.e. wargames and Magic. For one, I see it's important to pay attention to what other players are doing - the card combo you're setting up to garner massive VPs might very well enable an opponent to amass an insurmountable number of VP themselves in the meantime.

Secondly, your access to resources is limited. Once you've got 12 cards out on the tableau, it's Game Over. I find it's too easy to concentrate on deploying resources to work together only to find that time has run out and I'm sitting at 1/2 the VPs everyone else is. For that matter, it's also important to keep an eye on the VP pool - if that runs out, it's all over also.

Mainly, though, it's different from, say, M:tG in that reliance on a Perfect Plan has to be abandoned in favor of thinking on your feet and adapting to what you've drawn. Starting out for a military victory with New Sparta and Space Marines might have to change to going for mining if all you're drawing are Rare Earth resources (which happened to me today).
\
That's just my two cents on the game... I'm sure this all have been covered in detail before, but I thought I'd present it as someone who's been looking the game over all this time and is just starting to figure out strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tog23 wrote:
(Warning - RftG, at least the AI version, has a seriously insidious "JUST ONE MORE TRY!" thing about it!)

I'll say. It's like potato chips.

I haven't been able to play the game too much since I got it, except for the solitaire version against the robot.

Playing the computer version was an eye-opener. I got crushed by tens of points in every game by both opponents (I usually play 3-player). Now I at least win occasionally but I need to work on predicting the opponents moves and taking advantage of them. I tend to glance up after a few turns and see that I'm falling way behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game report on the player's scores anywhere? All I can see is the winner's score. Seems like a strange omission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Does the game report on the player's scores anywhere? All I can see is the winner's score. Seems like a strange omission.

Under each player's tableau there's a small hexagon with two numbers in it. The lower of these is that player's current VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
agent easy wrote:

Under each player's tableau there's a small hexagon with two numbers in it. The lower of these is that player's current VP.

The upper number (and it took me a while to figure this one out) is the number of VPs each player has in terms of VP counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

I've played on both Mac and PC. The Mac version is missing those hexagons that show the score. That really flummoxed me until I played it on Windows. I couldn't find anywhere on the AI page to contact the creator so I couldn't ask him about it. Hopefully he reads these threads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, well there you go. I'm on MAC.

(at least I wasn't going crazy!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldon Jones
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:
agent easy wrote:

I've played on both Mac and PC. The Mac version is missing those hexagons that show the score. That really flummoxed me until I played it on Windows. I couldn't find anywhere on the AI page to contact the creator so I couldn't ask him about it. Hopefully he reads these threads?

A bug in the MacOS prebuilt binary caused the hand size and VP icons to not be drawn. A more recent build fixes these problems. I suggest you re-download the binary and try again. (See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4006172#4006172 for more info.)

I've also put my email address on my webpages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, man! You are a superstar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tog23 wrote:
That's just my two cents on the game... I'm sure this all have been covered in detail before, but I thought I'd present it as someone who's been looking the game over all this time and is just starting to figure out strategy.

I went through the *exact* same thing you did. I own the game but hadn't got it out yet. Picked up the AI, and was soundly trashed. I've gotten to the point where I'm competitive with the AI in the base game. Then I put in Gathering Storm, and I'm back to getting pounded again.

I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.