KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
How about adding a notification option when you get a new possible direct trade match with another user who added a game you "Want in Trade"?

I check the Trade Manager once in awhile, but if it could be set up to automatically notify me, that would be great.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that everyone has changing lists.

And what happens when I list a copy of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion for trade? Do I suddenly get 100 automatic notifications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
The problem is that everyone has changing lists.

And what happens when I list a copy of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion for trade? Do I suddenly get 100 automatic notifications?

Usually when I modify my trade list I run the Trade Manager to see what hits I get so I was not proposing you would get any notices when you add a game for trade.

Rather, I was thinking more in terms of someone else adding something to their "For Trade" that (a) you have marked "Want in Trade" and (b) you already have something "For Trade" that is on their "Want in Trade" list. Similar to how I have the option to get notified when someone puts up a particular game for sale in the marketplace or eBay.

Do you think this would cause too many notices? I may be underestimating the amount notices this would cause but I know I would find it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Do I suddenly get 100 automatic notifications?

How about 1 message with a 100 notifications in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that wouldn't really take different values into consideration, say you have Kriegbot (Freely available, around 10$) for trade and want Advanced Civ in a trade, someone else wants Kriegbot and has Advanced Civ for trade, you'd get a notification that there's a match, but obviously the person with Adv Civ didn't intend to trade the game JUST for Kriegbot.

Also, imagine two people who each have 10 games for trade and 10 games they want in a trade, say their lists are reversed, that would make 100 possible matches just between those two, the only way to combat this would be not to send notifications about the matches themselves but just that there are users out there who might want to trade with you, possibly useful for people with small tradelists, but the sheer amount of names someone with an extensive tradelist would get would make the list almost impossible to slug through.

I can see its use as an opt-in system for a limited amount of users, the question is if it's worth the implementation work and the additional workload for the servers (Which would probably be pretty enormous).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
But that wouldn't really take different values into consideration, say you have Kriegbot (Freely available, around 10$) for trade and want Advanced Civ in a trade, someone else wants Kriegbot and has Advanced Civ for trade, you'd get a notification that there's a match, but obviously the person with Adv Civ didn't intend to trade the game JUST for Kriegbot.

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Also, imagine two people who each have 10 games for trade and 10 games they want in a trade, say their lists are reversed, that would make 100 possible matches just between those two, the only way to combat this would be not to send notifications about the matches themselves but just that there are users out there who might want to trade with you, possibly useful for people with small tradelists, but the sheer amount of names someone with an extensive tradelist would get would make the list almost impossible to slug through.

I can see its use as an opt-in system for a limited amount of users, the question is if it's worth the implementation work and the additional workload for the servers (Which would probably be pretty enormous).

I think all this could easily be handled just by sending a single notification that "One or more new trade matches were found in the Trade Manager."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good "patch" on a problem with BGG trades, namely that not everyone keeps their trade lists active. It's really discouraging to send out PM's to various BGG'ers, only to get no responses.

Anyone who *recently* put up a game for trade is, of course, much more likely to respond to a request for a trade. Much better, someone who just put up a game to trade is more likely to receive *multiple offers* because of this proposed notification system. I think that's an improvement. As for notifications, whoever just put up the game for trade doesn't have to get notified. He can just do a search.

But, yes, there's that underlying problem of an equal trade. As said, the proposed notification is a step towards that -- if you receive multiple offers, you're obviously going to take the best one. But, otherwise, there's no way right now BGG makes equal trades. One BGG'er used a point system to estimate the value of his trades. I think that's a *very* good system to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.