Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The year: 1945. The place: Holland. The time: Dusk!

Monty had ordered us to push to the Rhine, and so my British soldiers found themselves in Holland near the hamlet of Thomashof where the Germans had dug in and an initial barrage of machinegun fire had quite surprised my men and left them all cowering in whatever cover they could find. Hmm. It was instantly obvious to all of us that there wasn't enough cover here!

Each objective was worth 3 VPs, and the count stood at 16 VPs to the Germans. Capturing the objectives was going to be important, failing that, I'd just have to eliminate the German defenders.

The key to the initial part of the mission was going to be my smoke-producing mortar, but placing it correctly was tricky. I wasn't happy with its initial placement, but moving it up exposed it to too much machinegun fire from all the places Randy had placed his defenders. Not to mention finding unmarked barbed wire that slowed the advance on the right significantly!

After a little bit, it laid some smoke down to cover the advance in the centre, and soon my troops had reached the real killing ground in the centre of the town.

With my chief leader, Lt Forbes, dug in with a heavy machinegun in the centre of the town, it seemed that I would be able to lay down enough covering fire to advance my troops further into the town. So it proved - mostly. Randy troops all were pushed quite far forward, with only a small reserve protecting the further objectives.

I captured two of the objective points with relative ease, and was making my way towards capturing the rearmost objective (top-right of the picture) when three events occurred that greatly affected my abilities: A German Hero emerged and ran to protect the rearmost objective, and my both my heavy machine-gun and my mortar jammed.

Neither could be repaired and they were both soon eliminated. This was not good. Dusk was also falling, and the German defense was having trouble shooting at me. I moved forward some of my squads and captured a third objective, but the German hero was still defiantly holding fast.

Randy attempted to fall some of his troops back, only to have them cut down by my troops, but I was running out of time and capturing the final two objectives was proving much harder than I'd counted on.

In the dusk, my men became confused and demoralized: I had to move up, but German fire first broke my units and then eliminated them (and I wasn't drawing any Recovery cards). With the bulk of my force now hors-de-combat, I was finding it hard to hold onto objectives I'd captured! Randy reinforced his weaker positions and recaptured the two buildings on the left I'd previously taken - my one squad just couldn't hold them off against melee ambushes and relentlessly accurate fire.

Night fell, and the order came for my men to quit the battlefield; after coming so close, we'd just been unable to hold our gains and the Germans had come back in force!

With a final score of 31 to the German's benefit, this game looked a lot more imbalanced than it was: the tide of battle had first gone significantly in the Britischers' favour, and had only late returned to the German's side.

A lot of Wire cards from Randy had played merry havoc with my movement: it seemed that every movement activity would be stopped! I managed to demolish one set of wire, but then another would replace it and I'd stop dead again. With a lack of late-game Recovery actions, it allowed Randy to very much dominate the final proceedings.

Note also the number of objectives in the final counting: We'd drawn three new ones (including the "Sudden Death control of all objectives") and kept drawing "reconnissance" events to reveal them!

All-in-all, a very entertaining scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent writeup and thanks for the pictures of your game it really makes a difference when reading these session reports!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yearh! nice job. Keep em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.