Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The card quality in Agricola is top notch -- They're able to take lots of abuse, they shuffle well, and they don't tend to stick.

But... There are a few cards which need some corrections (i.e., http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/326815). With most games, I'd just take a permanent marker and write the changes. But that doesn't work with these cards -- The ink rubs off. I've even tried using an eraser on the card's surface to make the marker stick better, but the coating on the cards doesn't come off with an eraser.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for how to put a permanent mark on these cards? Is there a good kind of sticker? (Hopefully it's a thin sticker, so it doesn't make shuffling difficult.) Will tiny grit sandpaper do the trick? I'd really prefer not to get hundreds of card protectors for Agricola -- The cards are clearly good enough to stand up to a lot of wear without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use stickers and then sleeve all of the cards. The sticker will stay in place in a sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Card sleeves would mean buying 300+ card protectors just to make corrections on a small number of cards. (For me, it'd probably just be for the Swineherd, Moldboard Plow, and Animal Yard.) It would also be a bit of a shame -- The cards are really high quality, and using sleeves would give them a cheaper feel and make them harder to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is probably anathema to many players, but all I did was transcribe the corrections to post-it notes, cut to size, and then carefully taped the corrections to each card. Worked like a charm, and doesn't thicken the affected cards enough to mess with shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point and I haven't had any problems with smudging or wear-off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DarkoBeta wrote:
I used a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point and I haven't had any problems with smudging or wear-off.
Cool -- Maybe it was the brand I used? I'll give it a try with my Sharpie pen. I'd used Pilot's permanent marker -- for anything else I recommend those highly, since they have an even finer point. But if the ink doesn't adhere, that doesn't do much good.

Barring that, it sounds like Geoff's method using paper with tape (clear scotch tape?) will do the trick.

Thanks for the ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Avery address labels. Printed the errata and affixed the label. It has worked perfectly so far. Additionally, you could print off the errated cards and sleeve those and just keep them out for handy reference above the Major Improvement board (so players can inconspicuously look at them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yep, a Sharpie worked just fine. So if you're okay with handwritten scrawl on your cards, that's an easy way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.