Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding a good adventure board game is harder than finding a good fantasy turn based strategy computer game after MoM ...

I have Magic Realm ... I think it is beautiful but way too difficult, in the last years I've started to read the rules five times without coming to an end.
I tried Talisman 4th edition, I played it 20 yrs ago and I tought that after so much time the design would have improved. It is a truly awful game, There is only luck and boredrom.
I bought Runebound, the Talisman killer, wonderful. I enthusiastically bought a lot of the card expansions. I played it around a dozen times. Now I'm selling it, after the novelty it has the same defects of Talisman, very high luck and, worse, a lot of off time. In 4 player it is almost unplayable.

So ... should I buy Middle-Earth Quest?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Magic Realm-I do the same thing.If you like the Middle Earth Setting
ME Quest its a must have.The Game itself has a lot going on & a
Zillion Decks but once you played a couple of turns it all comes
together.The Rule Book is well done.

The Game has built in "enders"so it doesn't drag on & on.I don't
have RB but do have Talisman & I like ME better as it's not a monster
bash & you have more decisions.In ME you also have an active player
opponent & not just a game system to oppose.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:
I like ME better as it's not a monster
bash & you have more decisions.

I agree with the Old Dwarf here, in MEQ the heroes will do much better if they avoid any unnecessary fights. So, you are always weighing if you should really fight a monster blocking a path or go around it and save yourself some cards. There are some Hero missions that require you to fight or even kill many monsters, but they have to be planned out as you have fairly limited resources as the Heroes. The Sauron player adds a great aspect to this game with someone actively opposing the Heroes making their lives difficult while trying to achieve his/her own secret missions.

I have RB and many of the exp decks and I think the MEQ will be seeing the table a lot more than RB will now. The only problem is fitting the huge board and all the cards on my table!

(Edited for typos)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not getting away from luck with MEQ. No dice, but randomness and luck play a definite role still. I don't mind luck, Talisman and Arkham Horror are in my top-3 of logged games. People have also mentioned that 4-player MEQ can suffer from downtime.

As an example of luck, in today's game of MEQ, Sauron drew 12 blanks out of the 17 monster tokens total (includes Event and Shadow card monsters, didn't take 17 Monster Actions ). Event deck also managed to hit me just when I didn't need it, Green Flag Event in Near Harad was doing a bang-up job of getting the Red token up the chart (Mission was to get it to stage III) little by little. Then, stage III, first Event draw, another Green Flag Event, this one moving the Black token replaces it. NOOO! In the end, the Red token ended 1 space short of the Finale space, Heroes had dominance and completed their "Noble Blood" Mission with ease. Beravor + Eometh duo has now been in 2 games, both they have won by Mission. There is just something about them. No other pairing has won by Mission in the other 12 attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of Middle-Earth Quest as an "adventure board game". Think of it as capturing the flavor of a particular literary work and time period. If that's what you're looking for, it's quite good. If you want a generic "run around and beat up monsters and gain experience", it's not that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Don't think of Middle-Earth Quest as an "adventure board game". Think of it as capturing the flavor of a particular literary work and time period.

Huh. That's high praise. Sounds a bit like Middle-earth, only that one veered even further afield thematically than this one seems to.

I'm still on the fence, though; think I may wait for the (inevitable?) expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Don't think of Middle-Earth Quest as an "adventure board game". Think of it as capturing the flavor of a particular literary work and time period. If that's what you're looking for, it's quite good. If you want a generic "run around and beat up monsters and gain experience", it's not that.

Good point, David. MEQ isn't a typical "beat up monsters, steal their stuff, level up" type game. It's more of an epic story where individuals can make a difference. But it certainly is filled with adventure, danger, and even monsters; it's just that the stakes are higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I love that flavor, so I think it will be good for me.
Just for curiosity, what is a good game to "run around and beat up monsters and gain experience" (excluding the probably wonderful MR, wich is too much complex for my little free time)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, I wrote up a review comparing Middle-earth Quest and Magic Realm...

http://geekdo.com/thread/438492
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
If it's any consolation, I wrote up a review comparing Middle-earth Quest and Magic Realm...

Here's a link to that same review for people like myself, who prefer to remain on BGG rather than visit geekdo:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/438492
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorne wrote:
Just for curiosity, what is a good game to "run around and beat up monsters and gain experience" (excluding the probably wonderful MR, wich is too much complex for my little free time)?

My first recommendation would be Prophecy. But the genre as a whole is not really exceptional. It's too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:

Here's a link to that same review for people like myself, who prefer to remain on BGG rather than visit geekdo:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/438492

LOL - work blocks BGG, but not GD. So, I conform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, i am not a tolkien enthusiast, only flew through the rules...

but i have to say, solid game, do not like the visuals though. the illustrations are fine for something pulpy like arkham horror (i enjoy that). but lotr. i dont even like lotr that much, but the illustrations are not my cup of tea.

green orks? please! we are not in wh40k are we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MEQ is top of my wishlist at the moment. I think I have selected my Christmas presentwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
LOL - work blocks BGG, but not GD. So, I conform.

While I've got adblock on BGG, but not on geekdo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Beorne wrote:

My first recommendation would be Prophecy. But the genre as a whole is not really exceptional. It's too bad.

I concur with both the recommendation and the sentiment about the current state of the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Titan -- a new game for me -- actually does one of the better jobs, incidentally. You might give that a try, even if it's a peripheral suggestion. All my opinion, of course.

Tried Titan (new version) last week. It is a good solid game. Perhaps a little too "deep" (remebering the pile compostion, learning to move on the map and in general "understanding" the sense of the game beyond the rules) and not much chrome, but good.

Just received a mail of a friend of mine ... he has just bought the first italian translated expansion of Talisman 4th and wants to play it gulp ... I think I'll tell the game group I have a flu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.